knowing what i know about gear Now, I would get this instead:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey OP! Aren't ya glad you asked such a simple question?

In other words, gear is personal and a crapshoot. It's also filled with trade offs. Good luck in your search.

I've been using Olympia Air Glide year-round. In extreme heat, I'll wear shorts under the mesh and may add an evaporative vest under the jacket. In winter, I'll add the wind and insulating layers and electrics. No regrets here, and no plans to change.

Motoport (aka Cycleport) kevlar mesh. Expensive, but worth it, and the ultimate in adaptability to different climates on a tour. See:
www.motoport.com
I second that. I wear it year round, augmenting with their aerotex liners and heated gear as needed.

I've been using Olympia Air Glide year-round. In extreme heat, I'll wear shorts under the mesh and may add an evaporative vest under the jacket. In winter, I'll add the wind and insulating layers and electrics. No regrets here, and no plans to change.
Great gear; I just finished a 1500+ mile trip a month ago down and back the BRP with Air Glide gear. With the included liners, it handled temps from the mid 40s to upper 80s, comfortable the whole way.

I've never had a pair of pants that didn't leak in the crotch and get my butt wet. I've tried Frog Toggs, Tourmaster Overpants, Firstgear Overpants and some PVC rain gear and they all failed when it gets really rainy. At this point, I'm willing to spend the big bucks if someone could guarantee that I'd stay dry.

My wife and I use the Olympia Airglide jacket and pants. Held up with a 55 mph get off for us, no road rash, just a few fractures from hitting the van. Thinking of the Ranger Jacket for long trips, as the outside is waterproof and keeps the jacket from getting heavy if you don't want to wear a rain suit over it. Less gear to carry! There is a lot of good gear out there, get something comfortable that you will wear, all the time....

My wife and I use the Olympia Airglide jacket and pants. Held up with a 55 mph get off for us, no road rash, just a few fractures from hitting the van. Thinking of the Ranger Jacket for long trips, as the outside is waterproof and keeps the jacket from getting heavy if you don't want to wear a rain suit over it. Less gear to carry! There is a lot of good gear out there, get something comfortable that you will wear, all the time....

https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981485

'Stitch Roadcrafter..............the more miles I ride, the more I like it. I also have Olympic Airglide pants and a Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 jacket. They work great when it's really toasty. The Roadcrafter was initially uncomfortable in temps above about 75 degrees, but I researched techniques to mitigate the discomfort, and now prefer to wear it most of the time. It's nice to not worry about carrying extra rain gear!

My next pair of pants will have some leg vents.

The best cheap mod I've done (which isn't really a mod) is buy some suspenders from wallyworld or meijer thrifty acres.

For about $12.00 my pants don't constantly drop.

One trip, I decided to go on a short walk to stretch my legs at the Grand Canyon - Roosevelt Point on the North Rim actually. I ended up hiking about a quarter mile out - up and over boulders, tree stumps and holes. All the whole way I was pulling up my pants every few steps. If anyone was watching me, they were probably laughing their ass off at me. I didn't care because it was something I had to do. But that is another story - one that I will never, ever forget.

It was at that time that I knew suspenders would be in my future.

Stumbled on the thread since I am looking for new pants. I use both a Tourmaster Transition and Sonora jacket. I've been favoring the Transition it is water proof and thinking of matching with a waterproof pant. I would have purchased a Tourmaster Centurion one piece today but they are back ordered everywhere in Grey XL.

Any input on Centurion?

D in the D- I'm in Farmington and recently picked up a '13. Always looking for someone to ride with :)

https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981485
Nice write up, thanks!

I have the Tourmaster Transition II pants and jacket. It's been good, pull the liner fr the warn days and one up the vents . Worked well. I have the Transition II over pants, in the heat you ave to wear shorts in my opinion. Gets to sticky for me. Haven't been in super heavy rain but a steady down pour at 55-65 and no issues either.

I recently purchased the Olympia latest rev of the airglide mesh jacket (version 4?) and the airglide pants (version 3?), version 4 for the pants aren't out yet and I've been riding in hot, cold and wet weather for about 4+ weeks and I think they're great!! The jacket feels cooler then wear nothing when it's hot, and I just slip in the liner if it's cooler out and I'm good to go there too (note; being in the MN area we can get big temp swings from hot to cold in one day). The pants seem a little warmer, but I feel they deflect the engine heat a little bit, so its a trade off there. I rode in the heavy rain and used the liners which me dry, but as they're internal you need to dry the gear afterward (the only bad thing I can say). I purchased the silver/gray combo and I think the light color vs. my black tourmaster vented jacket (that always seem hot no matter how many vents I had open) makes a big difference as well.

I also just purchased (I was so happy with my last mesh choices) the TCX Jupiter EVO GTX boots that are breathable gortex and now my feet are breathing and keeping cool too!! They're very very comfortable and seem to have good protection and they don't look like space-trooper boots, (not to say my rest of my outfit doesn't) or something.

For my hands I switch from a set of gortex mesh gloves when its hot, to leather when it's not!!

I've made a few poor gear decisions regarding fit and quality but recently rode through Duluth on a long ride and checked out the Aerostich factory. Awesome employees and their gear IMO is top quality. While I was there, I bought a Darien jacket and it has been one of my better gear choices. I find it comfortable even with this hot weather we have been experiencing in the mid Atlantic states. Plus it's made for the long term. Of course YMMV. Gear is way too subjective.

I've never had a pair of pants that didn't leak in the crotch and get my butt wet. I've tried Frog Toggs, Tourmaster Overpants, Firstgear Overpants and some PVC rain gear and they all failed when it gets really rainy. At this point, I'm willing to spend the big bucks if someone could guarantee that I'd stay dry.
Get a beaded seat cover. Water will drain away from you instead of pooling up around your butt.

My next pair of pants will have some leg vents.
The best cheap mod I've done (which isn't really a mod) is buy some suspenders from wallyworld or meijer thrifty acres.

For about $12.00 my pants don't constantly drop.

One trip, I decided to go on a short walk to stretch my legs at the Grand Canyon - Roosevelt Point on the North Rim actually. I ended up hiking about a quarter mile out - up and over boulders, tree stumps and holes. All the whole way I was pulling up my pants every few steps. If anyone was watching me, they were probably laughing their ass off at me. I didn't care because it was something I had to do. But that is another story - one that I will never, ever forget.

It was at that time that I knew suspenders would be in my future.
If they are that loose, will the knee armor stay put if you crash? Heck, will the pants even stay on?

Warm/Hot weather, Olympia AirGlide pants and Transisiton jacket, 100 + temps, First Gear Mesh Tech Jacket. Winter Aerostich. Held Steve gloves, just about year round.

I have two gear problems,

I have yet to find a pair of truly waterproof gloves. The first gear gloves I'm using now are supposed to be but aren't. I've tried many gloves of different styles and manufacturer but always end up with hot water heated hands after riding through a frog twister.

I have a two piece Tour master suit Transition Series 2 jacket paired with flex pant. In aforementioned frog twister there is always a leak in the front where my jacket and pants meet at the Dunlop, the place where my stomach done lop over the pants.

Also get a lot of water down through the collar. Jacket gets heavy when wet. Flex pants work good if you have the liners in before it starts to rain.

Thinking Stitch may be the way I'll go next.

I