Laam Seat Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer Down Brown

Reaction score
I received my new seats from Seth Lamm last week. I had him do the driver's seat only but reupholster the passenger seat to match. The evening before he built my seat we had about a twenty minute conversation about my height, weight, inseam and riding style. I took his advice about material, I went with black all vinyl with carbon fiber grain on top and smooth sides. I discussed a light grey thinking it would absorb less heat than black but Seth said the difference was negligible and the light grey material looked shiny like plastic and I most likely wouldn't like it.

On Saturday I did a little romp through the Smokey's with dear friend Bruce McCrary. Here is a link to Spotwalla with a track of the trip: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=11e8657ae66e7c6f3b

Now for the report. As you can see in the Soprwalla link, about half the trip was four lane and half was really really nice mountain road including some Blue Ridge Parkway and a ride to the top of Mt. Mitchell, highest point east of the Rockies and through Roan Mountain TN. All in all the trip was about 420 miles. Seth said it will take 500 - 1000 miles to break in the seat. I'm not sure how it can possibly get better because compared to the stock seat, it was a different motorcycle altogether. No tail burn, no squirming no desire to stand just to stand up for a few minutes and no change in ride height. Pure comfort! This is the best money anyone can spend to farkle a motorcycle!

I have read that there have been some scheduling setbacks and some communication issues with Laam Seats. Indeed I didn't get a callback in the time-frame I was expecting but all in all the communication was great. My seat was built when they told me it was going to be built and it was shipped on the same day it was built and I was provided a tracking number when it was shipped. All in all, it was a great experience and I got great service, a great product and if anything happened to my seat, I would go right back to Laam Seats and do it again.

On another note I called Russell Seats and spoke to him about my needs. As soon as I told him I had a 29" inseam he said you can just nicely get the balls of your feet on the ground right? I said yes and that I didn't want to be any higher. The very next thing he said was, you don't want my seat. Mine will lift you up 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and you won't be happy. I was very impressed that he would say that to me because I am fully aware that's not the business he is in. So, Lamm or Russell to me is a toss up if you are not vertically impaired. They both came across to me a class people to deal with and both are more concerned with you being happy for the money you spent than they are with selling another seat. YMMV.

Another satisfied customer is not a surprise. If a person goes into the ordering process without time constraints - and even better, with a spare stock seat on hand - it's almost a certainty that he or she will be very happy with the results.

I have a Laam on my C-10, and even though the FJR seat is fairly comfortable, I have already gotten on to Seth's production schedule for September. Thanks for the assurance, Mike.

I have a Laam on my C-10, and even though the FJR seat is fairly comfortable, I have already gotten on to Seth's production schedule for September. Thanks for the assurance, Mike.
Just have a stock seat handy, another bike to ride, or be patient. It's worth the wait, but I'd rather be riding.

I've had my Laam seat since November of 2013 and love it. Some of the best money I've ever spent. Just did a Saddlesore this past weekend.

On the recent NAFO adventure, I rode all 15 days of the trip; the LAAM seat was comfortable throughout. My knees complained, but the arse was happy. I've had mine for a couple years now. :D

Love my Laam...I originally installed it on my 06, for the ride to NAFO4. Then moved it to my new 16ES. What a great seat, for such a minimal investment.

I have a LAAM front and rear seat but recently added an RDL to my collection. The LAAM was a huge improvement, but for me, the RDL is superior after about 2500 miles of use. The difference to me is the next day of riding with the RDL the next day is as good after 1000 mile days. I would still recommend the LAAM product but if you have the extra cash your arse will appreciate the difference.

I have a LAAM front and rear seat but recently added an RDL to my collection. The LAAM was a huge improvement, but for me, the RDL is superior after about 2500 miles of use. The difference to me is the next day of riding with the RDL the next day is as good after 1000 mile days. I would still recommend the LAAM product but if you have the extra cash your arse will appreciate the difference.
I have both RDL and LAAM , I use the LAAM for daily and day rides and the RDL for multi days of 500+ per day. The LAAM has better leg reach for daily stop and go riding, RDL has better all day comfort.