Laminar Lip gone, V-Stream Next?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after ~18 years of riding with a Laminar Lip on my Gen1, a stiff gust of wind (and perhaps exuberant traveling velocity) ripped it off my windscreen yesterday on the highway. I searched for a place to double back, but in the northern reaches of I-95 in Northern Maine, those opportunities are few and far between. I was also riding with my son on his IBA SS1000 attempt and didn't want to impact his ability to finish on time, so I left it where it fell. Now I am looking for a replacement. The Laminar Lip doesn't appear to be offered anywhere convenient these days, and with my original windscreen yellowed and having that sandblasted look (not really sandblasted - the defects are inside the plastic, not on the surface), I decided to give the V-Stream a try. I just pulled the trigger on the 20.5" model - I hope I chose wisely. The 22.5" one just seems like it would be too big and would not have any air flow for cooling in the summer. Did I make the right choice? I am a 6' tall rider and found the stock screen with Laminar Lip (adding 3" - 4") just about right. Thoughts?

I have the tall V Stream. In the lowest position it’s a similar height as the Yamaha touring screen fully raised, both are made by National Cycle. At over 6’3” I find it reasonable at normal for me highway speeds with a minimal level of buffeting in the highest position even higher speeds. At lower speeds I lower it but when temps are super high I wonder if I wish it would go lower.

Someone shorter and or possibly similar height without a helibar raiser is likely to have near still air with zero buffeting especially in the high position

I prefer polycarbonate to acrylic shields due to strength and durability. Watch the National Cycle
Video where they shot a windscreen with a shotgun. Acrylic to too brittle for that. I image that will equate to better protection from flying road debris.

My pillian rider is happy with the wind and noise protection. If you where to wear a leather vest it can float up and flap some but didn’t bother the misses and added a bit of cooling effect.

I am happy but wonder is a shorter screen for very hot weather would allow more cooling air flow. If youre not in +90 weather and ride miles it’s a great choice IMO.

I love my V-Stream. I've had it for many years, great for winter. I have about four windscreens (sizes) for different times of years and ride dependent.

I have the tall V Stream. In the lowest position it’s a similar height as the Yamaha touring screen fully raised, both are made by National Cycle. At over 6’3” I find it reasonable at normal for me highway speeds with a minimal level of buffeting in the highest position even higher speeds. At lower speeds I lower it but when temps are super high I wonder if I wish it would go lower.

Someone shorter and or possibly similar height without a helibar raiser is likely to have near still air with zero buffeting especially in the high position

I prefer polycarbonate to acrylic shields due to strength and durability. Watch the National Cycle
Video where they shot a windscreen with a shotgun. Acrylic to too brittle for that. I image that will equate to better protection from flying road debris.

My pillian rider is happy with the wind and noise protection. If you where to wear leather vest it can float up and flap some but didn’t bother the misses and added a bit of cooling effect.

I am happy but wonder is a shorter screen for very hot weather would allow more cooling air flow. If youre not in +90 weather with sub highway speeds most of the time and ride miles it’s a great choice IMO.

I mainly used stock windscreens and modified them to less than sizes for cooler weather. My shortest one is about 9 inches so I get mucho air, use the old up button and it cuts some air. Now granted I get bazar buffeting sometimes, but it's all good to my preferences.

Last edited:
With your GEN I, I'm predicting you made the correct choice. On my GEN I, I used a Cee Bailey approximately the same size as the medium VStream. Worked great. Down, flowed plenty of air and 1/2 - 2/3 up provided a nice pocket.

Good luck!

~G

I'm with Bluesman (it's been a while, Simon) about changing out the shields, Had the big V-Stream a while ago and liked it very much for cold and rain, but not at all in the heat. It was summer when a few of us met up with a rider from Australia who was passing through with his wife and somebody clipped them the morning we were going to meet for lunch. Not too bad for them--they didn't go down--but they had a broken mirror and screen. I offered the not-being-used V-Stream and CAJW (haven's seen him in a long while either) had an extra mirror which he picked up the next day. I kind of hated to part with the V-S but they were stuck. Tough to ride with no screen at all IMHO. I have a big CalSci now and it's good, but not as protective as the V-S. But I am able to use the CalSci all year, something I wouldn't have tried to carry off with the V-Stream, so I'm suggesting you keep your stock screen or find something else to switch off for hot weather riding. (To be honest, it goes MONTHS here with no rain at all--every year--so that's do-able for me. Not sure if it would work for you in VA.) Good luck.

Thanks all for you thoughts. I did end up pulling the trigger on the 20.5" V-Stream and my experiences so far mirror above observations. I am kind of wishing for a bit more airflow, but we are living through the warmest part of the year here in Maine with temps in the high 80's and low 90's (and very humid) and it hasn't been terrible. I am going to reserve full judgement until I put more time in. In the meantime, I created a short video, partly to test the windshield and partly to see which method of voice recording would work best. I tried two methods at the same time - the first (and best so far) is through the Cardo Pack-Talk Bold wirelessly connected to my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra and the built in the Samsung Voice Recording app. The second was with a lapel mic (clipped to the same boom as the Cardo) and connected to the headphone jack on a second older phone. I think that jack may have come loose while riding because that audio sounds like it was just coming from the phone's built in mic. At any rate, if you want to check it out, here is the video: