Laminar Lip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfpextraordinaire

Reaction score
:rolleyes: I have had my 06 for a 14 months and after 12000 miles love it more than anything but I really would like to do sumpthin about the noise and buffeting while cruisin'... I am 5 10 and have the stock shield but it seems that no matter what when I am cruisin' the interstate or behind any of the cars on the two laners there is a lot of turbulence, especially when the wind is blowing< (duh!!!!) however I have been checking out the laminar lip and wondered if any of you really cool dudes have any experience with this farkle? Whatchathink?

ride safe and keep the shiny parts up!!!!

dfpextraordinaire... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only used the velcro attachments and it blew off at 170 kph. There are instructions on here to attach them using screws. If you plan to ride fast you should do that. Until it blew off it worker very well.

gypsy

I have had one for around three years and it changed the buffeting around to be more comfortable but did not eliminate it. You are moving a large object through the air at high speed so I don't think you can get rid of it all together. I have had mine at some high speeds for sustained peroids and have had no trouble with it staying on but it wouldn't hurt the screw it down to be safe.

I had a Laminar Lip on my Vstrom. This was on the Suzuki tall shield. It was a small improvement. I would not say it was worth it. It never blew off but I thought it had that "add on" look to it. If I recall it was priced in the $80's. I would just go with a taller shield made for the fjr. I have the Calsi tall which is an improvement over stock, buttttt I may try the vstream or the Yamaha touring shield to see if I can get closer to what I really want.

The Laminar Lip works good for me on my '04 but didn't completely get rid of all buffeting. I have never ridden w/sheild up & I like it. Started to come loose so I drilled & screwed it down w/4 nylon license plate screws & nuts....Later,,, De :rolleyes: