Lane Positioning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshrout

Reaction score
Just a quick Thread that makes us go, HMMMM? After riding for 47 years and racing dirt bikes for the past 20yrs, I often come up from behind on another rider, on the road, and this rider is riding in the center of the lane. Just where all the 4 wheelers dump all kinds of slippery fluids. I have selected my “track” in each lane and usually avoid riding in the center of the lane. Since I haven’t taken an MSF course lately, are they teaching this procedure? Just something to think about.

Not sure what they are teaching lately. I keep to one "track" or the other at intersections, toll booths and anywhere there is stop-and-go traffic for the reason you mentioned. As far as the highway is concerned, it may depend upon overall condition. Poorly maintained roads may have a lot more patches and tar snakes in the tracks. Tracks are often lower (especially where there is a lot of truck traffic) which may result in the road steering the bike to some extent - not to mention collecting water which can cause hydroplaning.

In general, I will ride in the wheel track if the road is in good condition, properly domed and without ruts/low spots in the track.

Depends on the road. Cars don't leak like they used to and on tar I tend to prefer the center rather than riding in either of the tire dents.

Depends on the road. Cars don't leak like they used to and on tar I tend to prefer the center rather than riding in either of the tire dents.
I agree, it depends on the road. Cars don't leak like they used to but condensation drips from air conditioners at intersections and toll booths can get very slick at times. Not generally an issue on open roads.

Just to stick in another perspective, I always move around in my lane a lot. I figure it is going to get somebody's attention, moving from side to side in his mirror or popping up on one side or the other. I also look to see if I can see his eyes looking back at me. Helps I ride with my very bright Clearwater LEDs at least at half brightness, and all full power (unless it's getting dark) when I'm splitting lanes.

I agree, it depends on the road. Cars don't leak like they used to but condensation drips from air conditioners at intersections and toll booths can get very slick at times. Not generally an issue on open roads.
And I should say that at lights and when stopping in traffic that I do bias to one side of the lane or the other just to have a quicker way out if needed.

Regardless of road conditions, the center (2) track (like the shoulder) is more likely to collect debris than tracks 1 and 3. The tracks also allow you to best position yourself to be better seen by other traffic (change position from track 1 or 3 based on situations).

If I am in the left lane of a two lane I ride the right hand side so the driver in the right lane can see me in their mirror, if I am in the right lane I ride the left for the same reason. Multi lane highways I tend to go back and forth depending on where the the adjacent cage is.

It always blows me away to see these ass-hats in YouTube videos slapping peoples mirrors off and flipping off the world when people pull into their lane yet they ride the opposite of what I cited above thinking they are being "defensive" by being as far from the cage as possible when it is much more effective to be right in their mirror