Lapeer Dragway - Saturday, Oct 2nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I'll be going to Lapeer Dragway in Lapeer, MI for "test & tune" on Saturday, Oct 2nd. It starts at noon (I think gates open at 11:30) and runs until about 4:00pm. $25 allows you to make as many passes down the drag strip as time allows. $10 for spectators.

More info can be found on their website: https://www.lapeerdragway.com/

You don't need super-fancy racing gear to run. I do it with a full face helmet, leather boots, leather gloves, armored textile jacket and armored textile pants (the rules state that leather jacket and leather pants are required, but they didn't have a problem with my textile gear). You also don't need to have prior experience. I can walk you through your first run if you'd like and there's no pressure to be fast. It's just an open test & tune session. Just pretend like you're taking off from a traffic light then roll on to full throttle if you like :) (actually, I recommend that's how you start off until you are comfortable with the track and the process).

Anyone interested?

Bustanut has confirmed that he'll be representing the Gen I crowd for a Gen I vs Gen II showdown. We need more Gen I and Gen II bikes for statistically significant data :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys racing with Bags ON?? B)

This sounds like fun...and it sounds like you're making efforts to make it beginner friendly. Unfortunately I've already committed to something else that weekend.

I would be definitely be up for something another time...if there is a place to crash for the night. :clapping:

Well it's been rumored my wife keeps my balls in her purse Wheaton.. I guess my bag won't be of use ;) :lol:

Always room at the Shepherds ranch Mark

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have to keep my side cases on and my windshield all the way up to give ol' Bust a chance at keeping up with me :)

Is anyone going to bring a chase vehicle? For gas,tools,chairs,snacks and beverages. If not I might have someone that can.

Is anyone going to bring a chase vehicle? For gas,tools,chairs,snacks and beverages. If not I might have someone that can.
I'm not that high-tech. I just show up on my bike with some bottled water and cash to buy some food from the concession stand. Maybe we should do it right and make this a real party :) . Also be aware that spectators pay $10 to enter.

BTW - I'm pretty sure no alcohol is allowed, and maybe no glass containers. Check the rules on the website to be sure.

I'll have my GoPro HD for some on-board footage and a camcorder for track-side footage. I also have a mini air compressor for adding air back to the tire at the end of the day if anyone wants to drop the pressure in the back for better traction.

Also...

Don't get scared away from the drag strip if it's raining on Saturday morning. The current forecast shows a 30% chance of rain up to 9am, then the rest of the day looks good. I'm hoping there will be just enough rain to keep the crowd small so we don't have to wait in line a lot.

Have him bring along enough stuff to take Jeff's rear tire off as I need to show him just how fast a gen I is..

I'll keep him entertained with my "bulge" while you guys do the transfer. ;)

Forecast got worse overnight. This rain system seems to have almost stalled over SE Michigan. 75% chance rain at noon, slowly dropping to 40% at 3pm. I think it's time to give up and reschedule.

Fecking Rain.... I'd say we could still attempt this but a wet track is a closed track.

Plus it's what 45 degrees? kinda cool to be riding a couple hours just to get wet..

Too bad! Cool temps and high humidity should mean more horsepower. BUT a wet track means no traction...and while that might be "entertaining"...uhm...prolly not wise or safe. :rolleyes:

Losing a day of fun doesn't sound like great news but no scratches, scrapes or broken parts is.

Well do to weather I now have to go to the art fair in Grand Rapids :angry2: but I will be able to stop in to a few of the brew pubs to sample some of the local brews :yahoo: !

Well do to weather I now have to go to the art fair in Grand Rapids :angry2: but I will be able to stop in to a few of the brew pubs to sample some of the local brews :yahoo: !

My ex Bro inlaw is one of the promoters there. I hear it's supposed to be the place to be this weekend.

Drink 31 beers for me Jason.