Last year's thread: Gathering to Ride to Eat in New Orleans in March 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
6th annual 2010 Event

BEFA 2010 is sixth annual Big Easy FJR Assembly/Adventure Nawlins' Ride to Eat event.

Will be held last weekend of March or first weekend of April.

Email me if interested in attending at "mholiver at patriotguard dot org"

==============================================

Bring a Friend

New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering '09 - 5th annual event

Bring a friend:

You are invited to BEVA / BEJA '09 coming in March on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, head home on Monday

March weather in New Orleans is gorgeous. Join us March 20-23 for BEVA '09.

Anyone local to Nawlins or from outta town is invited to participate any or all of the event Friday evening, all day Saturday (long ride), or Sunday (shorter ride). Ask a friend to join us, as well.

Ask me about staying in my home overnight and we'll see what we can do depending on demand. Also, I'll be riding my FJR 1300. All bike brands and riders are welcome; even a Harley or two is OK ;-).

The 5th annual BEVA Gathering in '09 will be Mar 20-23.

My local Gathering called BEVA / BEJA is in ole Nawlins' every year.

BEVA / BEJA is the "Big Easy Vulcan/FJR Assembly/Adventure". All bike brands and riders are welcome (even a Harley can come ! ) Come either by trailer or touring ride on Friday to arrive about 3pm, we have a seafood dinner at a favorite local restaurant, and a night ride along the River on smooth roads.

Finish by 8pm so all can be rested up for the weekend.

These are tenative plans for the weekend rides on Saturday and Sunday, but all is flexible as the day progresses and folks make comments, preferences, or requirements. My bike has a CB radio, but I can read hand signals during the rides. Just get safely out of line and come up next to me and point to your tank (need gas), your mouth (I'm hungry/thirsty), or your crotch (gotta pee) and we'll stop at the next opportunity.

Saturday morning, meet at 7:15 am and KSU (kickstands up - leave) at 7:30am to breakfast at Peppermill. Then cross the Causeway bridge (longest bridge in the world - 23 miles) to the northshore of Lake Ponchartrain and head for the piney woods. North on 437 to Enon then west on 60 to Bogalusa, then east on 26, turn right and south on 43 to Picayune, MS. Have lunch, then south on I-55/hwy 11 to 90 west across the Rigolets Wildlife Area to Waveland and then return to the New Orleans area.

Then Sunday it's a shorter, easier ride. Last year we headed south to Boutte and through the twisties of Hwy 307 through Kraimer to Vacherie and then Hwy 22 along the Bayou twisting and turning to Ponchatoula, Hwy 51 along the fishing bayou under I-55 to Manchac to eat at famous Middendorf's Seafood Restaurant. Then it's the highway back to New Orleans and the motel.

Dinners in the evening are optional for those that still want to get together for Sat and/or Sun evening meals.

This year, like last year, BEVA accomodations can be at the "Contempra Inn" on Williams Blvd in Kenner, LA just a few blocks from previous year's LaQuinta. Discounted rate is $58.95 .

Contempra Inn

2820 Williams Boulevard, Kenner, LA 70062

(504) 468-7700

$60

or a newer, updated, mini-suite property

Comfort Suites Airport (LA079)

2710 Idaho Ave. , Kenner, LA, US, 70062

Phone: (504) 466-6066

https://tinyurl.com/ypxp2r

$100 - suite

$81 - regular room

I hear the Contempra Inn is getting a bit run down, but rooms at the Travel Lodge across the street are available.

Travelodge at 2240 Veterans Blvd., Kenner, Louisiana (504) 469-7341

$99

There also is a local LaQuinta which is another possibility with a Dennys in the parking lot.

Call to make your reservations -

arrive Friday March 20th and check out Monday March 23rd -> 3 nights

anyone have any questions, let me know.

Mike in Nawlins'

[email protected]

anyone have any questions, email me [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
This event has been moved back 2 weeks from original dates to allow for warmer weather for folks coming in from out-of-town, Spring is here then, and the host wife being recovered from carpal tunnel surgery by then.

You are invited to BEFVA '09 coming in March on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, head home on Monday

March weather in New Orleans is gorgeous. Join us March 20-23 for BEFVA '09.

See above modified announcement posts with the new dates. All other info is the same as before.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUMP ... less than 8 weeks to go - March 20-23

post here an RSVP or PM me if there's better than 50% you want and can make it

also, I'll investigate making a poll to see what folks would like to experience on the weekend

Mike in Nawlins'

Subject: You are invited to BEFVA '09 coming in March on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, head home on Monday

March weather in New Orleans is gorgeous. Join us March 20-23 for BEFVA '09.

Anyone local to Nawlins or from outta town is invited to participate any or all of the event Friday evening, all day Saturday (long ride), or Sunday (shorter ride). Ask a friend to join us, as well.

Ask me about staying in my home overnight and we'll see what we can do depending on demand. Also, I'll be riding my FJR 1300. All bike brands and riders are welcome; even a Harley or two is OK.

The 5th annual BEFVA Gathering in '09 will be Mar 20-23.

My local Gathering called BEFVA is in ole Nawlins' every year.

BEFVA is the "Big Easy FJR/Vulcan Assembly/Adventure". All bike brands and riders are welcome (even a Harley can come ! ) Come either by trailer or touring ride on Friday to arrive about 3pm, we have a seafood dinner at a favorite local restaurant, and a night ride along the River on smooth roads, then a dessert time at my home hosted by my Angelic Italian Wifey (AIW).

Highlights of BEFVA '07 was Saturday it's breakfast at the Peppermill for Seafood omelets as on option on the menu followed by a ride across the Lake on the longest bridge in the world, the 23 mile Causeway. This is the beginning of the all day ride of 200 miles including a lunch stop through the east end of New Orleans to the wetlands, Rigolets wildlife refuge, past Fort St. Philip that was devistated by Hurricane Katrina, and into Mississippi on Hwy 90. Then we can choose to go along the beach road there where Katrina wiped off the map every home and building for a mile inland. Lunch at Sicily's in Bay St. Louis. Then it's the highway back to New Orleans and the motel either via I-10.

Then we road south to Grand Isle and walked on the only public beach in LA of the Gulf of Mexico before stopping at a quaint local eatery well known on the island.

Then Sunday it's a shorter, easier ride. Last year we headed south to Boutte and through the twisties of Hwy 307 through Kraimer to Vacherie and then Hwy 22 along the Bayou to Ponchatoula, Hwy 51 along the fishing bayou under I-55 to Manchac to eat at famous Middendorf's Seafood Restaurant. Then it's the highway back to New Orleans and the motel either via I-10. This year I'm looking into the possibility, like in '06, when we went to Nottoway Plantation https://www.nottoway.com/, visiting another superior antibellum attraction Oak Alley Plantation https://www.oakalleyplantation.com/ and lunch there.

Dinners in the evening are optional for those that still want to get together for Sat and/or Sun evening meals.

Ride report for BEFVA '08 last year:

Friday night was a seafood dinner at Johnny Trauth's Seafood bistro. Wally had a hot sausage po-boy sandwhich, Carol had Broiled fish, and I had a pound of Jumbo boiled shrimp, fried calimari (squids), and corn-shrimp-crab soup. Everyone was satisfied and the place was uncrowded and prices reasonable. Owner comes around and takes off the table cloths as a subtle hint that it's after 11pm which is closing time. Now it was time for the night ride. Headed to the River through Kenner and River Town and north on River Road. Past Country Bible Churches with white clapboard painted steeples lit up with a spot light, General Store, 2 Grain Elevators on the right with overhead conveyor belts and pipes with great merchant ships moored in the River on the left. Giant tanks of fuel of different chemistries on the right with pipes to the pier and tanker ships in the river on the left. Chemical and Gasoline refineries in the near distance completely lighted up with gas argon lighting glows orange and firery flares shooting flames out of a stack.

Before the dark abliss of the Spillway road, we pull over to the side of the road into a gravel area and ponder the millions of stars in the sky and the band of fog which is the Milky Way layed on end. No moon tonight, so only the lighting of the ships and refineries reflect into the glassy calmness of the Mississippi River, and the spilling pond near the gates of the Spillway.

Getting a bit chilly, it's 11:30pm. Back to the Travel Lodge with a chill on the interstate and bedtime is midnight.

Plan for Saturday is meet at 8:30am at the Travel Lodge, fuel up at Shell, and breakfast at the Tiffin Inn. I had the Pecan Belgian Waffle, Wally traditional scrambled egg breakfast, and Carol healthy oatmeal so she, as she said, can stuff her face at lunch.

So, at 9:30am, we get on the interstate South past St. Rose, Destrehan, Luling, and to Boutee. Then on LA 90 south to Raceland. 5 blocks to the right on LA 182 and turn right heading west on LA 307. Winding, curvy road through the LA countryside full of Live Oaks with Spanish Moss and Resurection Ivy, Cypress, and fields of Sugar Cane. 10 miles down the road is Kraemer and a drawbridge over the bayou. Turn right and park in front of Zuma's Swamp tours and Alligator Farm. Get a cold drink and check out the 30 alligators from 8 foot (with turtles sunning themselves on his back) down to "holdable if you dare" 3 foot, to babies of 4-10". Then the snakes come out with a 12' Boa, a python, and a rattler (I insist he stay in his habitat). The head of the house is a vette guy and there's 6 white vettes of different years and conditions from the late 80's and 90's. Wally inquires about the Swamp Tour and Pappa offers to take the boat out after failing to find a Captain in town who will answer his phone, and charge is $15/person for a 1.5 hour ride. Wally wants to go, so we do - on his nickel. The weather is so nice with a breeze and 70 degrees and sunny, being outside is a pleasure no matter what. We see a few little alligators, some egret, other birds, lotsa turtles, creature from the black lagoon, cheetah, and Tarzan's cousin. Back under the drawbridge and moored to the Zuma dock, bathroom break, and head down the next 10 miles of LA 307. Wave to Trudy's Restaurant, only little place to eat for miles, and then LA 20 past the Conoco.

Up River Road 5 miles and 10 minutes, and we pull into Oak Alley Plantation in Vacherie, Louisiana at 2pm. https://www.oakalleyplantation.com/

Paid our $15 for the tour and walk on your own on the grounds and headed for the restaurant. Lovely little place with Creole Cooking. Carol had Crawfish Etoufee, I had Catfish with wine sauce and topped with crawfish, got the fried alligator appetizer, and the artichoke-shrimp-crab soup. Wally got a meat poboy. Beautiful grounds and great tour. Andre, our guide, dressed up as a Confederate Colonel, went on and on enjoying his job and our interest and facination with the home, grounds, and Civil War. Our 1/2 hour tour went over an hour. Stopped by the gift shop, and thank lawd, they had Ice Cream !!! Had to have 1 vanilla sandwhich as tradition goes when I'm on vacation and since my Dad traveled and we all stopped for dessert at 3pm every day. Gorgeous 21 Live Oak trees lined up with the home in the center like Tara and/or Seven Oaks. Home on the Interstate and it's 6pm, we're all still stuffed, and back to our quarters for the day with lovely memories stored away from the event so far, and looking forward to Sunday.

Meet up at 9am fueled up and we head on city streets from the suburb of Kenner downtown to the foot of Canal Street. Past Catholic Schools with kids playing in the yard wearing plaid skirts and khaki pants, past animal hospitals with pets being carried in or walked on a leash, gorgeous Catholic Churches with the life size Blessed Mother in light blue in front, and shotgun home after shotgun home by the dozens being renovated some still showing the paint marks from the National Guard during house to house searches in the weeks after Katrina (Aug 29, 2005).

Drive up Canal Street and the police and fire presence is large as the Fire Chief died on Wed and today is a Jazz Funeral in the Central Business District between 8am-Noon. We drive up the metal grate ramp and wait for the Canal Street ferry across the Mississippi River to Algiers. I can look in the distance and see "Mardi Gras World" where Blaine Kern and his family construct and pain the floats that are a large part of Mardi Gras every year.

www.mardigrasworld.com. Circle the ship and park in the corner for the return trip. $1 toll for going from the west bank (worse bank) to the east (best) bank. Free the other way. Slippin and slidin on the 1" plus open metal grating ramps and back on Canal. A few blocks to the big Marriott Canal Downtown building and turn right onto St. Ann one block from Royal St one block from Bourbon St. Park at a meter, drop in $2 worth of quarters for 90 minutes, and head up the street past the big police station where "Runaway Jury" was filmed and over to Royal Street. Wally was anxious to show Carol some Ole Nawlins fancy antique and jewelery stores and ended up purchasing some very nice custom earrings as her birthday is next Wed. Then onto to Conti Street and the Oceanic Seafood Restaurant, my AIW's fav place in the quarter.

I get big, ice cold raw oysters for $8, an excellent price these days, and Carol and I get the broiled red fish with wine sauce and crawfish topping with skillet warmed with EVOO (hey Rachel) veggies. Wally got a grilled slab of alligator meat po-boy. It's 1pm and time to go. Colly's have to check out at 3pm and want to head for relatives home at 2pm in Bay St Louis and make Mobile by tonight. Head out on the bike to Esplanade to some of the wealthyer New Orleans to Bayou St John and City Park. Circle the Museum of Art and stop to stroll through the Besthoff Foundation Sculpure Garden (freebie). Interesting, and then back to the Travel Lodge for hugs, goodbyes, and hopes to meet up again at MM and exhortions to Ride Safe at all times.

This year, like last year, BEVA accomodations can be at the "Contempra Inn" on Williams Blvd in Kenner, LA just a few blocks from previous year's LaQuinta. Discounted rate is $58.95 .

Contempra Inn

2820 Williams Boulevard, Kenner, LA 70062

(504) 468-7700

$60

or a newer, updated, mini-suite property

Comfort Suites Airport (LA079)

2710 Idaho Ave. , Kenner, LA, US, 70062

Phone: (504) 466-6066

https://tinyurl.com/ypxp2r

$100

I hear the Contempra Inn is getting a bit run down, but rooms at the Travel Lodge across the street are available.

Travelodge at 2240 Veterans Blvd., Kenner, Louisiana (504) 469-7341

$99

There also is a local LaQuinta which is another possibility with a Dennys in the parking lot.

Call to make your reservations -

arrive Friday March 20th and check out Monday March 23rd -> 3 nights

anyone have any questions, email me [email protected]

BEFA 2010 is sixth annual Big Easy FJR Assembly/Adventure Nawlins' Ride to Eat event.

Will be held last weekend of March or first weekend of April.

Email me if interested in attending at "mholiver at patriotguard dot org"