Leaking caliper and Y.E.S.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
My right front brake caliper is leaking, I know it's going to need to have the seals replaced. I was just curious if Y.E.S. would cover that. I know the parts are only $25 or so and not that hard to replace, but since I payed for Y.E.S. shouldn't I at least use it once?

Talk to Zack at Roseville. They replaced my fork seals under Yes.
To flesh out that reply and further demonstrate how good Zac and Roseville Yamaha are to us Feejer owners, don't you need to add something to that? Like the minor facts that your FJR had something like 55K miles on it and had never had a fork oil (or spark plug) change at that point. And that this was a rush job the week before we rode to CFR 2009 in Nakusp and you continued to Prudhoe Bay and around Alaska and Canada over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. Correctemundo?

:p ;) :lol:

Update:

Took the FJR into the shop today, turns out it's not the caliper, it's a leaky fork seal. The oil was running down the inside of the fork and mimicking a leaky brake caliper. Fork seals are not covered under Y.E.S. unless there is an obvious defect in the actual seal. While it's in the shop I'm having both forks redone, front pads replaced, and brake fluid flushed. $600 over $350 in parts alone. So much for my Christmas bonus. At least the FJR will be good to go. And before ya go on about how I should have done the work myself, I've never been that good with fork rebuilds, so I'd rather leave it to someone in the know.

Update:

Took the FJR into the shop today, turns out it's not the caliper, it's a leaky fork seal. The oil was running down the inside of the fork and mimicking a leaky brake caliper. Fork seals are not covered under Y.E.S. unless there is an obvious defect in the actual seal. While it's in the shop I'm having both forks redone, front pads replaced, and brake fluid flushed. $600 over $350 in parts alone. So much for my Christmas bonus. At least the FJR will be good to go. And before ya go on about how I should have done the work myself, I've never been that good with fork rebuilds, so I'd rather leave it to someone in the know.
This is what happened to me a week before leaving for CFR and Alaska last year.

Roseville rebuilt both forks (even though only one was leaking) under the Y.E.S. I paid $40.00 for some teflon bushings.

Hmm - Yamaha, who really do not love me for my rather vocal position on the spider issue covered my fork seals AND the brake piston seals that were ruined by the fork oil.

Last edited by a moderator: