Leather verses Vinyl Seat Covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maasja

Reaction score
I am looking to get my seat modified and upholstered. Can decide to pay the additional $175 for leather or go with the standard vinyl. Any suggestions?

I bought the 75 $ each leather seat covers from Britain. I like them alot. They have the option of cored side panels. Search ebay

What I wonder is, would the leather get sopping wet from rain as opposed to the water-proofed vinyl ?

Vinyl = Sweaty balls.

Leather preferable. A little bit of rain won't hurt the leather, esp if your ass is sitting on the seat. You can always cover up the seat, if you are leaving the bike out in the rain.

I just got my RDL and the seat builder told me that if you wear gear, your a$$ wont know the difference, but if you ride in shorts(?!?) or denim pants you might be able to tell. He said leather is more maintenance and they actually try to talk people out of leather. On the flip side, leather scuffs, vinyl rips.

I went with vinyl, less maintenance. We will see if I regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my RDL and the seat builder told me that if you wear gear, your a$$ wont know the difference,
My a$$ in Motoports stretch kevlar begs to differ, can definitely feel the difference between leather RDL on the FJR and Vinyl. Maintenance hasn't been an issue. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator: