LED Headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just upgraded to the Philips H4 6200K X-treme Ultinon LED. Part Nr. PH-XULED-H4-12953BWX2. Got a pretty good deal from XenonDepot.
These are just $176 shipped from them today with code X20.
Is that for one or two bulbs? The website doesn't actually say....

Also, how is the beam pattern? - the write up says that there may be some stray light above the cutoff - that's my issue with my current (older gen) Cyclops setup.
I don't really know how to answer your question about beam pattern. I do know the stock bike had halogen bulbs which means the reflectors were not designed for LED bulbs. Just as I am not an audiophile who can tell a BT speaker from some high end audio set up, I am not a perfectionist about light diffusion or dispersion. There probably is some, but all I know is that they seem plenty bright and penetrating. And they look great. When I run the auxiliary lights on top of them, I have little doubt that I can be seen pretty clearly ahead. I don't ride at night all that often but I am reasonably confident I will see well and be seen well.

I just upgraded to the Philips H4 6200K X-treme Ultinon LED. Part Nr. PH-XULED-H4-12953BWX2. Got a pretty good deal from XenonDepot.
These are just $176 shipped from them today with code X20.
Is that for one or two bulbs? The website doesn't actually say....

Also, how is the beam pattern? - the write up says that there may be some stray light above the cutoff - that's my issue with my current (older gen) Cyclops setup.
The specs say sold in pairs.

I installed these last week in my '04 and am pretty happy with the increase in light over stock. I found that with the halogens, I couldn't see as far as I wanted straight down the road, but these get me about 1/3 again further, with better color. They also shine off of deer's eyes much better than the halogens, which is nice. The right lamp is a little tight to get in, but they have good clearance once installed. No info yet on longevity, of course.

A guy on the FZ1 forum bought the sames ones I have, and one failed just a few days after he installed them. You never know....

this thread is a little old so I'm wondering if there has been any advances in the H4 led light technology. A big concern I have is the rubber boot fitting the retrofit lightbulb base. Looks like most of the led bulbs have a heat sink on the base that will prevent a good fit and a good seal. This one has a standard H4 base and the heatsink is on the end of the bulb.

s-l1600.jpg

Those triangular arrangements don't give a very clean cutoff for low beam, and cause quite a bit of light scattering.

These seem to be the best out there right now. I have a set in the FJR and another in my Ninja mutant with aftermarket headlights. No issues with fitting the covers on the FJR. I also helped a buddy install a set in his FJR with the same results. The light output is very close to stock with a clean cutoff on low beam and lots of light down the road on high.

Latest posts