LED headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorfjr

Reaction score
I just put a pair of Beamtech LED headlights in my 2013. The engineer that designed it should be drawn and quartered.  That said they look like they will work great. 

More info, Jim.  Are you talking about just bulbs (all I saw on their website), or a set of lights that you mounted on your bike?  And what was wrong with them?

No extra lights.  Put beamtech led bulbs in. 40 dollars on Amazon. Now the headlights are the same color as the led accent lights.

Oh, I get it now. It’s the FJR engineer 

who should be drawn and quartered. LOL

I too, have switched most of my vehicles 

to LED headlamps. Marked improvement 

in all but one older car. Results in bikes 

has been great. 

I bought a set of aftermarket LED headlights over a year ago and have not gotten around to installing them yet.  I don't really do a lot of riding after dark and I have a set of amber Clearwater Glendas mounted on the forks and a set of Ericas mounted on the mirrors.  No problem with seeing or being seen!  Still, the halogens look anemic yellow by comparison to the Ericas and the LED would be a much better color match. I have to do some work on the bike with the nose cowling off and I have been waiting to do the install at that time - way easier to do a good job and will tie it in with some electrical changes I am making.

The ones I got have a good beam pattern as per a couple guys who have used them.  I see more and more motorcycles out there with really BAD LED setups.  Glaring, even in daylight.  Either way brighter than necessary, too high a color temperature , bad optical geometry fit for the headlight bucket/reflectors or a combination of these.  My Ericas are VERY bright but I run them at the lowest setting during the day with them set to go to full with high beam (and horn) if I need to get someone's attention.  The only time they get run at a higher setting is nighttime back roads when there is NO traffic.   Then, I can turn night into day!

I used these.  They look good and they are the same size as stock.  They are not the brightest, but certainly brighter than stock and do not require any cutting or fiddling.

https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lighting-csp-mini-led-h4-bulbs/
According to the Compatibility section of this product's web site these LED bulbs are not street legal for headlights in the U.S. Is that an issue? How does Yamaha get around this on the late models with LED head lamps?  

Yamaha gets around those restrictions by using LEDs that are not too bright and lenses that properly aim them away from the eyes of oncoming traffic (Eruo aim to a different side of the street than US).

Yamaha gets around those restrictions by using LEDs that are not too bright and lenses that properly aim them away from the eyes of oncoming traffic (Eruo aim to a different side of the street than US).
I don't know about the US ones, but the UK are horizontal cut-off, and symmetrical side-to-side. Presumably this could apply to all markets. Obviously the reflectors are designed specifically to match the LED lamps, a much better arrangement than a replacement LED trying to mimic an H4 bulb.

They are far brighter than the previous incandescent ones. I love them. 

Edited to add pictures of the lights against my garage door, bike on centre-stand at a guessed 12 feet from the door

(Click on image for larger view):

Low beam                                  High beam (leaves low on)

Brightnesses not quite directly comparable, I used a phone camera, it has its own ideas about what exposure to use. And the little black thing in the middle is the door handle, not a hole in the beam. The slight angle of the cut-off is because my drive isn't quite level.

A photoshop attempt to show more of what the eye sees, and make the relative brightness nearer accurate:

I'm interested in the H4:GTR Lighting CSP Mini.  Does this LED lamp have a cut off to prevent the light beam from blinding on coming drivers? Thanks.
Looking at the picture I'd say yes.  That's what the little hoody shroud does.  Opening points up on installation.

I'm interested in the H4:GTR Lighting CSP Mini.  Does this LED lamp have a cut off to prevent the light beam from blinding on coming drivers? Thanks.
I had a look at the website and they specifically list that bulb as a fog light bulb.  Not sure about beam pattern or lumens but may not be the same as their other ones.  Also, the photo shows it without and external ballast or cooling fan which suggests that it may be a lower power bulb.  (Might just be the picture and the bulb they show fits into a separate base.)

As opposed to the US HID (on a car is the only photo I have at hand) that are not as even across the cut-off but obviously biased away from oncoming traffic in the left lane.

beam.jpg

According to the Compatibility section of this product's web site these LED bulbs are not street legal for headlights in the U.S. Is that an issue? How does Yamaha get around this on the late models with LED head lamps?  
As for legal, no they are not, but no replacement LED is, even if the package says so.  If the headlights are purpose built, like the 2016+, that is different.

These lights have good cut off.  I installed one checked against a wall then covered one side then the other side.  The cut off line was good.  They are also whiter and brighter, but not to bright.  I have never had anyone flash me, so I take that as a good sign.  I bought them for the look and the fact they were a direct fit.

As for legal, no they are not, but no replacement LED is, even if the package says so.  If the headlights are purpose built, like the 2016+, that is different.

These lights have good cut off.  I installed one checked against a wall then covered one side then the other side.  The cut off line was good.  They are also whiter and brighter, but not to bright.  I have never had anyone flash me, so I take that as a good sign.  I bought them for the look and the fact they were a direct fit.
Thanks for the review. How long have you had these LED's? Do they not have a cooling mechanism? Are they a simple plug in no alterations required? Thanks.

Art

Thanks for the review. How long have you had these LED's? Do they not have a cooling mechanism? Are they a simple plug in no alterations required? Thanks.

Art
Art,

I have had them for about a year.  They are just a plug and play, as they are the same size as the OEM.  They are not extremely or overly bright and as such do not have or need an extra cooling system.  They also have a build in feature that lowers the power and cools if needed.  I have ridden form 40's to 90's with no issue.  They are brighter than stock, but not overly so.  I also have axillary led lights, so extreme led headlights were not a requirement.  The color was more important.  They are a little expensive, but they fit my needs; color, plug and play, and no extra wires or modification. 

Latest posts