LED headlights.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses2

Reaction score
I am considering replacing the stock halogens with leds in the new to me 2007 FJR1300A. Practiced removing the right side bulb, and reinstalled. I would like a direct replacement. I am finding prices of $15 for 2 to $50 for 1, fans no fans, additional components, modifications.  Is there a replacement someone can reccomend that gives a good hi and low pattern, and a simple swap out?

Thanks for your help. Really enjoying the '07.

Hi there

Searched for “LED and headlight” from Jan 1 2019 to today. Got over 25 hits. Perhaps 6 are worth reading as they relate to your question.

If you just search for “LED Headlight”, anywhere, anytime, you will get over 10k hits, which isnt very useful.

The search tool can really help you out if you take a few minutes to look at the options.

Good luck with your project.

-Steve

I installed these     LED     specifically for the reduced current draw. Each LED draws 1.5 amps versus 4.5 for each halogen. That freed up 6 amps for other stuff (more Gerbing for pillion).The install was clean. The beam pattern didn't seem any better to me, but it didn't seem worse. I try not to do a lot of riding at night anyway. 9000 miles on them so and no issues.

The only thing I ask anyone who is installing LED headlights in a bucket designed for halogens is to TEST them.

Go out at night with a cooperating driver (car is easier) and have them meet you on a dark highway.  Also follow them on the bike.  Low beam and high beam.  Make sure your lights aren't too dazzling.  Also make sure you don't have any "dead" regions where there is no lighting.

Nothing is more annoying (and potentially dangerous) as LEDs that are too bright, badly focused or too high a color temperature (white-white tending toward blue).  More lumens are not necessarily better and keep the color temperature lower if you can.  Most higher power LEDs have fans and a "ballast".  You may have to modify the headlight boots to accommodate.

I do ride a lot at night so I installed these LED headlights.  Direct swap, good cutoff, excellent lighting.  Look for the yellow box that says F2 on it.  Very happy with them.
Thanks rbentnail. For some reason the Amazon page says these won't fit my 2007. Is that just their glitch? I have the bike in their virtual garage to check fitment. 

Thanks rbentnail. For some reason the Amazon page says these won't fit my 2007. Is that just their glitch? I have the bike in their virtual garage to check fitment. 
NOT a glitch.  The link is for description of "F2" and "Yellow Box" only.  You have to get the correct mount style.  That's the 9003, 9007, 9004, 9005, etc. number.   You need to get H4/9003 designation.

I bought some MostPlus LEDs off of Amazon 2-3 years ago and they have worked fine.  I don't ride at night often, the few times I have it throws a good beam.  Compared before and after on my garage door and the beam matched up really close.  I did have to trim the boots a little to get the fit right.  I would buy them again.

I have been running LEDs on my 2003 FJR for a few years, now on my 2006, and on my car too. Bottom line, I like them. They are brighter on the low beam than the stock ones. Switch to the high beam and disappointingly, they do not reach as far, or as bright as the stock bulbs, although the light output is whiter. They run on a fraction of the stock's wattage, which is a huge plus. Here is what I don't like about them though; they claim incredible hours of service lifetime which would be true if we were to only look at the LED chip's life expectancy. But, there is more to the lights than the LED chips - the circuitry that powers them is often not as durable. Much less are the fans that cool them. One of the LED bulbs on the FJR ran for a year without issues, then suddenly it started whining louder than the engine. A month or so later the other one did the same. So, beware. They may not run longer, or save you money over the stock bulbs. Recently I switched to a set of LEDs without fans, so the jury is still out on the fan-less design's lifetime. So far I am pleased not to hear them running. I don't think that I would go back to the stock bulbs, but I did have to lower my expectations for LED lighting - at least for the current crop offered. I am currently running these LED bulbs.

I am currently running these LED bulbs.
How does the lumen output compare to the previous LED's you were using?  Beam pattern etc.

6500°K is a little "whiter" than some.  I don't care about high beam so much - I have Clearwater "Ericas" which turn night into day when I flip to high beams.

How does the lumen output compare to the previous LED's you were using?  Beam pattern etc.

6500°K is a little "whiter" than some.  I don't care about high beam so much - I have Clearwater "Ericas" which turn night into day when I flip to high beams.
The LEDs are much brighter than the incandescent bulbs (while consuming a fraction of the wattage). The standard 9003/H4 bulbs are rated at around 910 lumens each on low beam. I am not sure how accurate the LED bulb's claimed 4500 lumen output is, but they are obviously brighter - no question about it. The beam pattern is completely different from the stock bulbs. The LEDs output is wider and more evenly distributed on the road. I really like that because the sides of the road are also better lit up, which helps me in noticing critters about to cross the road right on front of me (coyotes, deer, cats, dogs, etc.). Another difference is that because of the more scattered, whiter light pattern street signs become very noticeable and reflect the light from much farther away. Finally, I also like that so far I have not had any cars flash their brights back at me because my lights were blinding them. (That used to be a common occurrence with my 2003 running stock bulbs when I had my bike loaded with stuff and/or I was riding with a pillion). The LED bulbs are more noticeable by other drivers, but I guess not in a blinding way (again, due to the less focused pattern).

Brighter and a whiter color than OEM, with a clean pattern. I compared the pattern against a blank wall of one to OEM before installing both and it was the same.

I've also found the reflector difference in the Gen3 doesn't work well with LEDs. The Gen2 is a bowl shaped reflector and I really like the LEDs there. But the Gen3 reflector is teardrop shaped and no matter how I adjusted & tweaked, the LED lights there IMO just sucked. I went back to SilverStar bulbs in the Gen3.