LED headlights.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should fit. Maybe the issue is a higher than normal wattage?
The package says 60/55W which is pretty much standard for a halogen H4. Says 50% more light and that usually translates to (much) shorter lifetime. If I wanted more light, I would go to LED lighting rather than high-output bulbs. Added bonus of LED is lower current draw.

There are higher wattage halogens available in H4 (i.e. 100/80 W) but I wouldn't put them in my FJR without using a relay to power them on an independent circuit. (Might not be legal for on-road use.) Could blow a fuse (or smoke a ground connection). Not to mention cooking the reflector assembly or socket not designed for that much heat dissipation.

High Wattage H4 (wouldn't recommend!)
https://www.amazon.ca/H4-100-80WTB-...locphy=9000143&hvtargid=pla-569738468779&th=1

I've also found the reflector difference in the Gen3 doesn't work well with LEDs. The Gen2 is a bowl shaped reflector and I really like the LEDs there. But the Gen3 reflector is teardrop shaped and no matter how I adjusted & tweaked, the LED lights there IMO just sucked. I went back to SilverStar bulbs in the Gen3.

Does it matter what year Gen III? I read a discussion about LED in FJR, the Gen II was not made for a LED a cross eyed pattern is the result. And the Gen III was made for LED. IIRC it was the later Gen III that came with LED so I wondered about that.
I installed H4 F2 9003 LED with fans in my 2008 AE last year and they are great. I haven't noticed a cross eyed pattern riding in the city.

Does it matter what year Gen III?
Gen III 2013 to 2015 have the same part number for the headlight bucket (which is different from the Gen II bucket). These are all designed for replaceable incandescent H4/9003 halogen bulbs.
2016 to 2022 (Gen III+/Gen IV?) come with LED headlights. They are a totally different beast with built-in, non-replaceable LED headlights. Expensive to replace if that is ever required (whole unit is replaced, not just the lighting element). For years of the Gen III+/Gen IV that have both an "A" model and an "ES" model, the part number is different since the ES has the "cornering" lights.

Edit: Ignacio was posting while I was composing...

Halogen to LED conversions aren't always "plug&play". The position of the light source in LED's can vary relative the near point source for any incandescent (Halogen, etc.) lamp. The results can be anywhere from no real change to almost impossible to aim (dead spots, and hot spots too high). Also, the fan assembly can, in some cases simply not let the lamp seat properly, or there may not be enough volume behind the reflector. Even if all of that works out, any dust seals that work with non-LED's may not work with an LED lamp.

Which isn't to say "don't do it", just don't expect to pop out the old lamp, put in the LED, and be good to go. Murphy never sleeps, he waits...

6500K is blue white, ditto for 5000K, the light doesn't really approach yellow until dropping well below 4000K.

Sad but true, quoted specs can be ...um... creative. In the case of headlight kits, claims of 110 watts(!!!) turn out to be 55 watts per lamp. Of course, lumens are doubled, too. Factor into your thinking that while the box may say H4, not all H4 LED's are the same as other LED's, or halogens.

Yes, I do have a degree from the College of Hard Knocks, School of LED Engineering... Yes, I have some wonderful spares looking for new homes...

Does it matter what year Gen III? I read a discussion about LED in FJR, the Gen II was not made for a LED a cross eyed pattern is the result. And the Gen III was made for LED. IIRC it was the later Gen III that came with LED so I wondered about that.
I installed H4 F2 9003 LED with fans in my 2008 AE last year and they are great. I haven't noticed a cross eyed pattern riding in the city.
In my response, Gen3 is 2013-2015 since 2016+ already have LED. IMHO Gen2 bowl-shaped reflector does well with aftermarket LEDs. The Gen3 teardrop-shaped reflector does not.

I am considering replacing the stock halogens with leds in the new to me 2007 FJR1300A. Practiced removing the right side bulb, and reinstalled. I would like a direct replacement. I am finding prices of $15 for 2 to $50 for 1, fans no fans, additional components, modifications. Is there a replacement someone can reccomend that gives a good hi and low pattern, and a simple swap out?

Thanks for your help. Really enjoying the '07.
I replaced my stock bulbs with LED versions from Superbright Led's

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Can't remember if I bought the fan or fanless version. I can check my paperwork if interested. They plugged right in, retained the rubber boot, no heat issues or water leaks. Also used their load resistors. I try not to ride at night, but the quality of light at night is much better than the halogen, and the light is not spraying out everywhere, which was a pleasant surprise.

Nothing to gain from this opinion/review, just sharing my satisfied experience.

Hello

Its 12/2022 and I just put the latest generation of LED in my car and they are phenomenal, low and high beam. Much better than the the HIDs I had in it . Which were superior to the Super Silver Star I used.

That being said for my 06, I want to put LED in. Anyone this year try the latest LEDs?
Price is not an issue. Seeing in massively dark mountain twisty roads is.

Its ok if drivers are pissed, as I will be home for dinner. ( I turn the hi beam off when cars approach anyway)
thanks

WW

Any takers on this one?

That being said for my 06, I want to put LED in. Anyone this year try the latest LEDs?

Its ok if drivers are pissed, as I will be home for dinner.
With the exception of those with late-model FJRs that have LEDs stock--all sorts of year FJRs have upgrade to many different types of LEDs, auxiliary lights, etc.. You don't specify what specific "latest" LED you're referring to, but I would suggest searching on "LED" and see the many threads about them.

And why would you piss off drivers on purpose? It's completely unnecessary as you can still get great light without doing that and you make us all look bad if you do.

Rather than change the headlight on the FJR, I would recommend installing LED driving lights. Denalis are good (though more expensive)