LED tail/brake lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijuggle

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Superbrightled.com 1157 dual intensity 45 smd led tower bulbs in their Gen 3? No problem?

I have something like 8 year old leds in my '04 and never had an issue.

Ledrider just posted up a new bulb you may want to look into.. Got a set but still need to install them.. They look promising

I tried led brake lights and keep getting a flashing ABS light on my 09. My 06 had no problems with the led brake lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I converted all my tail lights. the tail/brake are these.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-45-smd-led-tower-/814/

I like the 360 direction of them, they use the standard reflectors and are as bright as regular lamps. I don't like those silly quarter sized do nothings that the El-De-Cheapo car parts places sell.
These are the ones I have in the Gen 1. They are the only ones I have found that seem to be as bright as the OEM halogens, with a considerable saving in power and probably durability.

I ran into problems fitting the Rostra Cruise Control as it needs to see ground through the braking system, and the LEDs don't pull the power down low enough. It required fitting an additional relay to let the CC see ground on that wire when the brakes were applied. No biggie.

I converted all my tail lights. the tail/brake are these.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-45-smd-led-tower-/814/

I like the 360 direction of them, they use the standard reflectors and are as bright as regular lamps. I don't like those silly quarter sized do nothings that the El-De-Cheapo car parts places sell.
. They are the only ones I have found that seem to be as bright as the OEM halogens,
I didn't know the tail/brake light bulbs were halogens on the FJR.

Have not had to replace one...yet .

I think the standard tail lights and brake lights on the FJR are regular incandescent, not halogen. (1156 single element, 1157 double element) There are halogen "equivalents" out there but beware that although they are brighter they get substantially hotter and have a shorter lifespan. (also draw more current) Lifetime and heat are not likely major issues for the turn signal and brake light because they are not on for a long time but possibly problematic for the tail light.

I think the standard tail lights and brake lights on the FJR are regular incandescent, not halogen. (1156 single element, 1157 double element) There are halogen "equivalents" out there but beware that although they are brighter they get substantially hotter and have a shorter lifespan. (also draw more current) Lifetime and heat are not likely major issues for the turn signal and brake light because they are not on for a long time but possibly problematic for the tail light.
It was a typo, I meant incandescent :)

I have these installed by the original owner - https://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/tailblazer/20w-d2pak.html They start off flashing then slowly progress to steady.

Plus the LIN3/3rd brake flasher combo I added.

I throw quite a bit of red flashing light out the rear when I first hit the brakes.
smile.png
Barely missing death from behind (less than 2 ft by an SUV that then flipped over three times) makes that SOP for me these days.

OK, here is a picture of the high quality LED's that I mentioned earlier. I will post which is which. I think it is VERY hard to tell.

DSCF8216.jpg

If used as turn signals, do you need to run a resister in the circuit for the flasher relay?

If used as turn signals, do you need to run a resister in the circuit for the flasher relay?
I don't think so, the FJR has an electronic relay. The load sensing is only needed by thermal relays. You might find that the circuit no longer informs you of a blown bulb, by flashing faster, I haven't checked simply because I couldn't see a benefit from LED turn signals in place of the OEM.

While we are on the subject, cruise control units that need to sense ground through the braking system will need an additional relay if you use LED stop lights. It's easy enough to fit but something to bear in mind.

I agree minimal benefit to be gained with the rear signals.

But I think you could bank a couple watts by changing the fronts.