Lesson #17 for Fifty-Something, New FJR Owners with Bad Backs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, wait. The 190 is the width, not the height (duh). How does that help with getting the bike on the centerstand?
Actually a 190/55 is a taller tire and will raise the bike just slightly, making it a bit easier to launch onto center stand. The 55 is a sidewall ratio of the width of the tire.

Don't let people fool ya trying to sound cool, there is some lifting/pulling involved on getting the bike onto the center stand. If they think there isn't I want to see a video of someone just stepping on the center stand (ok I retract that there's some big boys on here lol). That 'leverage' the speak of is bracing their body and rolling/lifting the back of the bike rearward and up.

Make sure the front wheel is straight.
Ask and ye shall recieve!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice work, still some lifting/pulling going on there. What I'm saying is just a foot on the centerstand, no hands anywhere else. It's certainly all about the technique, but I think people were giving the OP a somewhat false image.

Hey, wait. The 190 is the width, not the height (duh). How does that help with getting the bike on the centerstand?
Actually a 190/55 is a taller tire and will raise the bike just slightly, making it a bit easier to launch onto center stand. The 55 is a sidewall ratio of the width of the tire.

Don't let people fool ya trying to sound cool, there is some lifting/pulling involved on getting the bike onto the center stand. If they think there isn't I want to see a video of someone just stepping on the center stand (ok I retract that there's some big boys on here lol). That 'leverage' the speak of is bracing their body and rolling/lifting the back of the bike rearward and up.

Make sure the front wheel is straight.

That was impressive. I want to see that done on my bike.

...there is some lifting/pulling involved on getting the bike onto the center stand. If they think there isn't I want to see a video of someone just stepping on the center stand...
[supporting video snipped]
That was impressive. I want to see that done on my bike.
^^^^ I've put a number of different FJRs on the center stand and they are not all created equal. My FJR is one of the feather-lights that just pops up with virtually no upper body involvement. Some others surprise me when they don't just jump right up, but once seeing they are reluctant I change my technique and the upper body isn't needed anymore. There have been 2 FJRs that I just couldn't get on the center stand -- but they were lowered
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
On your Gen II FJR, flip the rear suspension to soft, it makes getting the bike on the center stand easier. Try it.

On your Gen II FJR, flip the rear suspension to soft, it makes getting the bike on the center stand easier. Try it.
Thanks, but 'twas already there.

Guess I'll be carrying a nice, thick catalog with me whenever I anticipate wanting the bike on its centerstand.

Is the OP, or any of you having difficulty using the correct technique? I don't mean how you step on the lever, or lift or don't lift, but how the bike is prepped. FWIW, my FJR was my first bike with a center stand and I didn't know how to do it. Thankfully my buddy knew how.

1: You have to stand the bike up. Push it off the side stand and get it straight.

2: While holding the bike at the left handlebar and the hand hole, push down on the center stand lever until it touches the ground.

3: Now, lean the bike away from you until the right side of the stand is also on the ground. Initially, you'll think it's gonna fall over. What we think is straight up is not really straight up. Both feet have to be on the ground/floor.

4: Now that both feet of the stand are firmly on the ground and the bike is straight, push the lever down with your foot. The bike will pop right up. The hand hole is not for lifting the bike. It's for keeping the bike from falling away from us.

Now, I know those of you that know me will say I'm bigger than some. That's true, and I have very strong legs, but I can do it barefoot, and did it after both of my knee surgeries. I almost always do it just by pushing the stand down and purposely not using my weight.

If I'm loaded up for a trip, getting the bike up can be much harder. A few times, I've had to use my weight or pull up from the back, but an unloaded FJR is pretty easy.

Seriously, try it and let us know. I'd bet you're doing it wrong, because I couldn't do it until I knew to put both stand feet on the ground. Thankfully my buddy was there when the bike was delivered, or I woulda been FUBAR for a while.

As HotRodZilla stated, that is how I have always put those bikes that I have owned with center stands, and yes back in the "day" when almost all bikes had center stands. And I've done a few bare foot also, hey I was a kid back then and didn't know any better ....

The problem -- other than the FJR's weight and possibly the centerstand geometry -- is the short distance between the centerstand tang and the lift point. Anyone of human stature cannot stand on the centerstand tang with a straight knee, while lifting from the lift point with a straight back. They are too close together. If your back is straight, you cannot reach the lift point. Conclusion: lifting must not be a part of the technique.

I've been putting bikes on centerstands for 40 years. I know how it's supposed to work. Granted, my back ain't what it was 40 years ago (or 20, or maybe 10...).

OP like you say I prefer to use the rear grab handles so I don't have to bend over much at all. Both work well though and it's pretty easy for me. Seen many people have trouble with center stands.

As mentioned above a 190/55 is taller than the stock 180/55 - 5.5 mm bigger in radius, to be exact (at least theoretically). The centre stand lift wasn't the reason I made the change but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get it up after I changed my rubber.
blush.png

Barefoot - is truly impressive. I can get it on the center stand pretty easily but I have never even considered it with out some kind of tredz.

Is the OP, or any of you having difficulty using the correct technique? I don't mean how you step on the lever, or lift or don't lift, but how the bike is prepped. FWIW, my FJR was my first bike with a center stand and I didn't know how to do it. Thankfully my buddy knew how.
1: You have to stand the bike up. Push it off the side stand and get it straight.

2: While holding the bike at the left handlebar and the hand hole, push down on the center stand lever until it touches the ground.

3: Now, lean the bike away from you until the right side of the stand is also on the ground. Initially, you'll think it's gonna fall over. What we think is straight up is not really straight up. Both feet have to be on the ground/floor.

4: Now that both feet of the stand are firmly on the ground and the bike is straight, push the lever down with your foot. The bike will pop right up. The hand hole is not for lifting the bike. It's for keeping the bike from falling away from us.

Now, I know those of you that know me will say I'm bigger than some. That's true, and I have very strong legs, but I can do it barefoot, and did it after both of my knee surgeries. I almost always do it just by pushing the stand down and purposely not using my weight.

If I'm loaded up for a trip, getting the bike up can be much harder. A few times, I've had to use my weight or pull up from the back, but an unloaded FJR is pretty easy.

Seriously, try it and let us know. I'd bet you're doing it wrong, because I couldn't do it until I knew to put both stand feet on the ground. Thankfully my buddy was there when the bike was delivered, or I woulda been FUBAR for a while.
Basically, yes. I'm not a big dude -- @ 170 soaked, and 5' 10". I guess I'm a reasonably fit 65, but I don't use a lot of upper body strength to pop my feej on the center stand.

I use my hands/arms to steady the bike, and make sure, (as noted), both stand feet are contacting the ground. I continue steadying the bike while standing firmly on the stand lever with my right foot. I can do it barefoot too, although I don't normally walk around barefoot in the bike shop. Done it numerous times with my slippers on, though.

I just put it up on the center stand barefoot, but I can't imagine doing it while sitting on the bike. Bogus, you're an animal!

OK... with my back still healing from last Sunday's incident, I easily put the beast onto the centerstand a little while ago. Used the passenger grab handle (lightly) instead of the intended lift point. No lifting. (But I did roll the rear tire onto a 3/4-inch thick catalog first!) Went up pretty easy. I highly recommend the B&H camera/video catalog.

On another topic... my tire guy replaced what were very likely the original Metzelers with PR4 GTs this morning. What a huge difference in low-speed handling! And the RAM ball for mounting the GPS to the "clutch lever mirror mount" arrived... as did the powerlet-to-cigarette lighter adaptor... GPS is now good to go... a very productive day (thank you, MasterCard).
greedy.gif