Lessons Learned for DOT4 Fluid change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verranth

Reaction score
For those of you, like me, who have never changed out the brake fluid, I have a few tips/notes that I learned the hard way.

Most of you will probably laugh or hang your head, as these are all "Duh", things. But, to the person who has never done this before, it may be useful.

So, enough with the rambling; let's get to the points!

1. Change your fluids!!

I cant believe how much smoother the shifting has become with fresh new fluid. As a side note, changing the oil also makes a difference! (I change my oil regularly, it's just the brake fluid that did not get changed...in much too long). I'm not even going to put how many years... I mean, how long it's been like that.

2. Get a bleeder with a pump, adapter, and bottle/container. This is invaluable if you plan on doing this by yourself. Actually, I think it's the only way you can do it as a solo job. Even if you are not going to tackle it solo, it's nice to have that old brake fluid going into a container.

3. Watch the reservoir! If liquid is coming out of the bleeder and the reservoir is not going down...check the other one! (Yeah, I was that careless).

The point here is that the front tire has two bleeders. The upper one is tied in with the reservoir on the handle bars. The lower one is tied to the reservoir in the back. You'll have to remove the right side panel below the seat. Plenty of threads on that one.

4. Empty your container often, or at least between bleedings. As I got more proficient, I wasted less fluid. But, it's also good to have lots of new fluid go through the system.

5. Wear gloves! Your hands will thank you for the extra care. (Dont ask me how I know.)

6. My county recycles brake fluid. Do not mix with any other liquids like oil, etc. I used up most of the can I bought, and the old stuff went into the same can. (oh wait, but that's...wasteful!! why would you do that? Read on...)

7. While there was still some fluid left, it was not a lot, so it was minimally wasted. Also, always use brand new fluid. Keeping a used one for more than a few months is enough to spoil it. And, it's cheap! Plus, it's all going to the recycling place, remember?

Well, there you have it. Hopefully somebody finds it useful.

Not a big problem to do it solo without a vacuum system or speed bleeders. I have done it that way four times - takes me an hour or so to do all 5 bleeders (2 front brakes, linked bleeder in front, rear brake and clutch). If doing it "manually" don't be too aggressive with the lever action or you will fountain DOT4 all over your bike. Note that brake fluid is pretty harsh toward paint and should be wiped and rinsed ASAP after an OOPS.

Just went over the brakes tonight also, new fluid and blead out. All done old school. Like new again. Also cleaned and lubed the handles.

Dave

Well Verranth, congratulations. You learned a great deal. Follow-up on the Speed Bleeders suggestion and you'll learn how much easier it can be.

Also, be very aware that this stuff EATS paint and plastice. I ALWAYS cover the tank and surrounding Tupperware with several layers of old garage towels to protect vulnerable surfaces.

Dan

This is great stuff! I don't didn't know about speed speeder bleeders until reading this thread. I might give it a try with my cars/bikes...
FIFY

google --> speed bleeders
+1. Can't believe how easy/fun changing fluid can be.
+2. One of the best inventions ever (well, for changing hydraulic fluids anyway).
+3 Have them on my FJ40 as well; the wifie isn't much of a mechanic, and these make bleeding a one man operation.

This is great stuff! I don't didn't know about speed speeder bleeders until reading this thread. I might give it a try with my cars/bikes...
FIFY

google --> speed bleeders
+1. Can't believe how easy/fun changing fluid can be.
+2. One of the best inventions ever (well, for changing hydraulic fluids anyway).
+3 Have them on my FJ40 as well; the wifie isn't much of a mechanic, and these make bleeding a one man operation.
+4. My wife sux at timing and following instructions. I install speed bleeders on all our cars and trucks over the yrs just to keep her away while I'm doing the fluid change.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and should be changed out every two years. As many have said, Speed Bleeders are the answer to making this a non-complicated, "almost" fool-proof, one man operation. The other stuff works....vacuum pumps, old school two-person job....but once you use speed bleeders, you will never even think about another method.

any idea on speed bleeder type fittings for the gen 2? 2010...

have them on my truck and car, and that are the shizzle...

can't find them for the FJR

Latest posts