Lessons Learned on changing the CCT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the middle of doing this on my 06. New tensioner doesn't have the blue dot. Instead its green? Whats up with that?

So.....I finally took a look at the CCT on my 2007 FJR1300A. No dot of any color. CRAP!

My question: When I order a replacement CCT from Yamaha Canada, do I order using the part number for a 2007 (part #: 5JW-12210-01-00) trusting that they will ship an updated CCT that has a green dot or blue dot or do I order a CCT using the part number (5JW-12210-**-00) from a later year?
The part number is the same for 2007 and 2008 (01-00 at the end).
The part number changes to 10-00 for 2009 and stays at 10-00 for 2010, 2011, 2012.
The part number changes again to 00-00 in 2013.
In the cataloque, the part looks identical for 2007 thru 2012. The part looks slightly different in 2013.

So.....I finally took a look at the CCT on my 2007 FJR1300A. No dot of any color. CRAP!

My question: When I order a replacement CCT from Yamaha Canada, do I order using the part number for a 2007 (part #: 5JW-12210-01-00) trusting that they will ship an updated CCT that has a green dot or blue dot or do I order a CCT using the part number (5JW-12210-**-00) from a later year?
The part number is the same for 2007 and 2008 (01-00 at the end).
The part number changes to 10-00 for 2009 and stays at 10-00 for 2010, 2011, 2012.
The part number changes again to 00-00 in 2013.
In the cataloque, the part looks identical for 2007 thru 2012. The part looks slightly different in 2013.
I looked up 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013 and got the same number for all.
1MC-12210-00-00
They have different numbers but crossed out with the above number...

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045b43f8700209bc79404d/camshaft-chain

I looked up 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013 and got the same number for all.
1MC-12210-00-00
They have different numbers but crossed out with the above number...

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045b43f8700209bc79404d/camshaft-chain
Thanks for the very helpful info.
I checked out the link you posted. As you undoubtedly know, it is a USA site. Is that where you source your parts? If so, why Yamaha USA vs Yamaha Canada? Price? Reliability? Better service? Out of habit?

Thanks for the very helpful info.
I checked out the link you posted. As you undoubtedly know, it is a USA site. Is that where you source your parts? If so, why Yamaha USA vs Yamaha Canada? Price? Reliability? Better service? Out of habit?
I have most recently bought parts through the local dealer. In the past, I have bought through US distributors and had them delivered to a friend's place in New England to pick up when I was there. To be honest, I haven't had to buy much! Just fork refurb parts a couple of times, and CCT. Other than that, a few bits of hardware, a plastic radiator overflow tank, brake pads and a shifter rubber...
Cheaper to order through US mailorder but not if you are shipping to Canada.

So, I am this point in the procedure:

"After cutting the ty-wrap and before buttoning things up, manually turn the engine through at least two complete crankshaft revolutions (crank turns CW from the right side) while observing the timing chain"

Question: What exactly am I looking/listening/feeling for?

Question: What exactly am I looking/listening/feeling for?
If you followed the instructions correctly, there should be no issue. Turning it over is "just in case" you somehow messed up the timing badly and you will hopefully feel the resistance due to contact between piston and valve before damage is done. Manually advancing the engine might tell you if you are off by more than two teeth (but not if you are off by just 1 or 2). The only way to tell for certain is to remove the valve cover and check cam alignment marks.

As I said, there should be no issue but the first start after this sort of maintenance can be a white-knuckle event.

Any difficulty removing the old and installing the new? Not much fun getting a wrench on the bolts and getting them broken loose (or re-tightening).

Finally done! The parts took about 3 weeks to arrive from Hamilton, Ontario. The CCT was a green dot version. My estimated total time-on-task was 6 hours over three days. RossKean was correct: getting a wrench on the flange bolts and breaking them loose was the worst. I did manage after a trip to Canadian Tire for a ratcheting wrench and a spray can of "Liquid Wrench" and a second trip to Princess Auto for a set of ignition wrenches (there were none to be had at Canadian Tire). Re-installing those bolts was almost as bad.

There was, also, the "senior's moment" when I forgot to insert the clip holding the heat shield in place. I spotted it in a small plastic container in my toolbox, where I had left it for safekeeping, as I was cleaning up and putting all the tools away. DOH! Add another 30 minutes to raise the fuel tank, insert the clip and then button up everything, again.

@MotoMike good for you - you did it! Not a quick, or easy job. I did my ‘03 many years ago, and my (new-to-me) ‘06 this year. I learned a few things along the way, I am sure that you will agree with most of them:
- You won’t have to worry about the CCT failing for a long time
- You didn’t have to pay $$$$ for installation
- You have the tools and know-how if you need to do the job in the future (maybe on another FJR)
- You know that the job is done right, and if it is not, it won’t take long to figure out who to blame for shoddy work (just kidding on the last part)
- You know that you can conquer one of the most P.I.T.A. jobs on your bike all by yourself
- If you can help it, you don’t want to do it again 😂

Seriously, congrats to you!

RiderJoe