LH Indicator LED not working.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynevb

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The LED on the dash of my 2004 FJR wasn't working. I decided that I would jump the LH flasher leads and add an external LED because it looks like getting to the rear of the speedo assembly is a real pain.

I started pulling the plastic panels off and when I got to the part where the electric screen pivots have to come off, I put a 10mm ring spanner on and gave it a tug. Snap! I broke the cast elbow. When I looked closer, it needs an Allen key on the other end to prevent the arm flexing and breaking. Duh!

I got to the part where I wanted to jump the indicator bulb and added two scotchlock connectors, a wire pair and external LED. It was flashing OK. Next day I started to reassemble and I thought I would check the flashers. Turned on the LH flasher and the dash LED was working again. Not sure if I disturbed a dirty connection.

I repaired the broken arm with epoxy and it's all back together again.

Lesson learned.

Sounds like my luck, I guess always learning isn't all bad. :)
There are people here that will tell you to search (and you should at least try) but ask anyhow! Some of those who tell you to search sometimes will give you a link or have first hand knowledge.

The LED on the dash of my 2004 FJR wasn't working. I decided that I would jump the LH flasher leads and add an external LED because it looks like getting to the rear of the speedo assembly is a real pain.

I started pulling the plastic panels off and when I got to the part where the electric screen pivots have to come off, I put a 10mm ring spanner on and gave it a tug. Snap! I broke the cast elbow. When I looked closer, it needs an Allen key on the other end to prevent the arm flexing and breaking. Duh!

I got to the part where I wanted to jump the indicator bulb and added two scotchlock connectors, a wire pair and external LED. It was flashing OK. Next day I started to reassemble and I thought I would check the flashers. Turned on the LH flasher and the dash LED was working again. Not sure if I disturbed a dirty connection.

I repaired the broken arm with epoxy and it's all back together again.

Lesson learned.
I think all the dash lights on Gen I bikes are incandescent rather than LEDs. @Ignacio did a replacement guide using LEDs. This was some time ago but should be applicable.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/le...-gen-1-speedo-assembly.136377/#comment-839656

I think all the dash lights on Gen I bikes are incandescent rather than LEDs. @Ignacio did a replacement guide using LEDs. This was some time ago but should be applicable.
Concur. Unless some previous owner upgraded to LEDs....the Gen 1 are 100% incandescent.