Lifting an FJR by crane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Seems like an odd question but this has to do with taking a motorcycle as cargo on a Newfoundland coastal ferry.  The province maintains a low cost ferry service to remote towns along the coast.  Some routes handle autos but others are just passenger and freight.  Motorcycle can be loaded as freight. 

https://www.gov.nl.ca/tw/ferryservices/schedules/

In some locations, the bike is secured to a platform which is loaded by crane onto the deck of the boat which would be OK.  Other locations attach straps to the bike and use the crane to load the bike directly (see photo, below).  This would make me very nervous and I don't know where you might attach straps on an FJR without damaging plastics or risking flipping the bike over.  Any ideas?  For a trip I am planning, taking one of these coastal ferries would save me 6 hours and 600 km at a cost of less than $30.  Bay L'Argent on the Burin Peninsula to Pool's Cove on the Connaigre Peninsula.  Not sure whether this ferry uses a platform or not.

20200807-131018.jpg

20200807-164720.jpg

No idea why, but your picture links don't work. Still, I'm betting the guys that do the bike, crane, loading thing do it a lot and probably have it down. I'm sure there would be Hell to pay if they flipped or dropped someone's motorcycle.  Maybe call them and ask them, if you can find a number.

I don't feel like that was very helpful. Haha. I'll try harder next time, I swear! 

Images fixed.

Apparently on that particular ferry, they do not use a platform and it is at your own risk.  This guy was told that they very rarely take bikes on that section of the coast but do more often on other segments.  A friend is doing the Pool's cove ferry with MC this week and I'll see what experience he has.

I think they have all the straps and ties necessary but it might not be a bad idea to have something along those lines.

Are those footpeg brackets strong enough?  Wonder if there would be a risk of a flip.  Brackets are low but the handlebars are high enough to offset that, I think.  Hopefully the ferry I may be taking will load via a platform or pallet and it won't be an issue for me.  Should find out for sure later this week.

I routinely lift mine with a trolly hoist in my garage....for the front I remove the 2 bolts from the T bar in front of the tank and attach a small high grade chain with longer bolts and loop the chain over the hoist hook....for the rear 2 good nylon straps around the frame..[seat off]

I routinely lift mine with a trolly hoist in my garage....for the front I remove the 2 bolts from the T bar in front of the tank and attach a small high grade chain with longer bolts and loop the chain over the hoist hook....for the rear 2 good nylon straps around the frame..[seat off]

This post is worthless without piccies!

As for the OP, there is no way I would let anyone lift my FJR with straps. No way.  My BMW GSA, sure.

As for the OP, there is no way I would let anyone lift my FJR with straps. No way.
I think I am in agreement with you - unless someone can demonstrate a safe and secure method that doesn't entail removal of stuff, risk damaging paint or breaking shit.