Linch pin sidecase mod - really necessary?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
On my '08 I did the linch pin side case mod for that extra peace of mind but am now wondering if maybe it's just overkill and don't particularly feel like drilling through the mounting tabs and rubber thingies on my '14. So really the question is, is there any significant number of incidences of FJR sidecases just flying off due to the standard attachment mechanism failing? I am aware of the locks coming loose and already did the loctite fix on the screws as I did on the '08 also but other than that or operator error in mounting or locking them properly have there been any "mysterious" unexplained side case launchings?

is there any significant number of incidences of FJR sidecases just flying off due to the standard attachment mechanism failing?
I don't think so. I think there have been a few user failures that thought they secured their side bag and an even fewer number of people that had a sketchy side bag mechanism they had previously forced closed and skipped a gear (a different issue long-discussed elsewhere). Three FJRs now with a total of over 250K and haven't seen any need to drill for pins in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is 9, going on 10, years old now, never saw the need. Just be diligent in mounting the bag

I bought used bags because my bike used used and did not come with bags. They had been in a major accident. The locking tab was funky and had probably skipped a tooth. I was not sure of this, it just felt odd. During one spirited crossing of an intersection near home I glanced in the rearview mirror and noticed my right bag tumbling down the road behind me. It chewed up my fresh repaint but, other than that, did no major damage to the bag.

IMHO 'pinning' your bags is just as much overkill as locktighting the lock screws. Either way, it is your bike, do with it as you please.

...IMHO 'pinning' your bags is just as much overkill as locktighting the lock screws. Either way, it is your bike, do with it as you please.
Doing both should be unnecessary. In the UK we have the expression "belt and braces*" meaning using two methods at the same time to achieve an objective, originally to hold up one's trousers+. Either will do the job.

With my three FJRs, the first two didn't have Loctited bag lock screws, the third has. I've never lost a lock, never had one come loose, but I have checked them occasionally before a long tour. I did once tighten a friend's lock screws in Igoumenitsa (Greece). His screws hadn't been Loctited nor checked.

*This would translate into US English as "belt and suspenders", I don't know if the phrase is used in the US.

+Trousers: US pants.

We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language.
Oscar Wilde, 1887

IMHO 'pinning' your bags is just as much overkill as locktighting the lock screws. Either way, it is your bike, do with it as you please.
Ahhhh I'm in the camp of disagreement here on this

I have seen many pictures and reports of bags without locks because of not taking the time to locktite your screws on your sidebag locks, which should be done from the factory and isn't....

It happened to me, but I was lucky to catch it on my 2005.... not gunna risk it with the 2015,

On my 2006 I lost a bag and almost lost the other on a fast run down a gravel road. I know the bags were mounted properly but the rough run was enough to shake the bags loose. When I realized one was missing the other was off the rear top mount , the missing bag I found about a 1/4 mile back in the ditch with my rain gear scattered behind it.

For me the linch pins provide peace of mind and since I rarely remove the bags its only a mild inconvenience. I haven't lost a side bag with the pins installed.

YMMV

Rick

I never felt the need to pin the bags. I always make sure each one is on correctly by wiggling and pulling on them after putting them on. There is quite a bit of play, but not enough for any of the mount points to come free.

I never felt the need to pin the bags. I always make sure each one is on correctly by wiggling and pulling on them after putting them on. There is quite a bit of play, but not enough for any of the mount points to come free.
Geezers method has worked for all (5 so far) of the FJR's I've had.

I have never had an issue with the bags self ejecting. But I did almost loose one of the looks...the lock and one of the screws were laying in the handle well. Both locks now have locktited screws. If you get comfort from having the bags pinned, than do so. Otherwise don't worry about it.

Thanks for all the replies. As I suspected the general consensus is the pin mod is overkill assuming loctite has been applied to the lock screws and the cases are secured properly.

Thanks for all the replies. As I suspected the general consensus is the pin mod is overkill assuming loctite has been applied to the lock screws and the cases are secured properly.
You say that like overkill is a bad thing.

Seriously, the locks will eventually come loose if not loctited. Probably.

Is it necessary? No... at least not until a bag is about to come loose. Then it would seem more so.

Like most preventive measures, if the thing you are attempting to prevent doesn't happen all that often, it won't seem very "necessary" to most people who will not have experienced the problem. As an analogy, most cruiser style riders in New Hampshire don't think it is necessary to wear a helmet.

Have the side bags ever come off an FJR before? Obviously the answer is "Yes", though not a large percentage of the population experiences it.

When they do come off they are usually pretty well trashed and expensive to fix or replace, not to mention the possibility of losing the contents.

Have any bags that were "pinned" ever come off? None that I am aware of.

I guess it is just a risk / rewards type of decision that you will have to make.