Linch pin sidecase mod - really necessary?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost the bag lock (fourtnatly, an easy fix as I had all the parts) and is now locktite secure (only one of the three to do this was th '13)

I have also had all three gens of FJR, and have yet to loose a side case. I was following SPU a few years back, and he lost his right case on a right hander after going over a good sized frost heave. I don't think that he put the case on wrong as we had hit quite a few frost heaves prior to it coming off. I think that one that did it was just the right combo to seperate the case from the bike. He had no more problems that trip.

To summarize.... if your bag is going to fall off, then the linch pin mod is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
*This would translate into US English as "belt and suspenders", I don't know if the phrase is used in the US.

Well the saying goes something like "how can you trust a man who doesn't trust his pants".

To summarize.... if your bag is going to fall off, then the linch pin mod is required.
Yes, I get that or in other words you don't need it...until you do need it. I also understand the other "pro-pin" responders who state that it's all about assessing your particular level of acceptable risk.

Unless there's a problem with your bag, you don't need it. I drilled them a few years ago, during the height of the paranoia. They're hanging in my garage, unused for years. So far, I've never had a problem, but I always double check them to be sure they're on. That has saved me a couple times when I put one on funny.

...I drilled them a few years ago, during the height of the paranoia.
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

Okay, now I'm so conflicted that I'm going to drill just one side. Which side is the most likely to randomly fall off? Note: I live in the Northern Hemisphere.

Ran my '03 75,000 miles, no pins, no problem. I got the '05 and the PO had the pins ... so I redundantly used them. What the hell, thought I. About my third time out on the '05, I took off after forgetting to latch the bags. Pins kept them in place. For those of us with early-onset Alzheimer's, we need the suspenders to go with the belts.

Over 200k with a few rough rides...

The Haul Road split my top case and sent it bounding down the road, but the side cases remained mounted. ... Kind of wonder if side cases coming off were just not placed on the bike properly to begin with (?)

Well, the point is that some folks have lost their bags when they did push the handles down. That was why they felt it prudent to spend 10 minutes and $5 in hardware to eliminate that possibility. Honestly, we've spend more effort in discussing it than it takes to just put the things on there.

That said, I have not (yet) pinned my side bags onto my new bike. The Givi V46 top case is the same one I used previously on the '05, abd already had the hole drilled in the trunk, so I drilled the corresponding hole i the mount plate and that does have the safety pin mod done on it.

Lost the bag lock (fourtnatly, an easy fix as I had all the parts) and is now locktite secure (only one of the three to do this was th '13)
I have also had all three gens of FJR, and have yet to loose a side case. I was following SPU a few years back, and he lost his right case on a right hander after going over a good sized frost heave. I don't think that he put the case on wrong as we had hit quite a few frost heaves prior to it coming off. I think that one that did it was just the right combo to seperate the case from the bike. He had no more problems that trip.
Gregory the Goat Fucker is right on about ShinyPartsUp (another Goat Fucker!) losing his right case after hitting a frost heave, I was riding the tail gunner position in this menage a twat and saw it flying down the hill.

Like our gregory said: SPU hit some significant frost heaves just prior to it coming off, right after I got home I pinned the bags on my Miss Lucy Liu; have not done it on the 2013, yet! jes' sayin' and nuff said, FUBARED!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the pins during the hyperbola. There still hanging on the pegboard on the wall. Never bothered.

No issues,

Dave

This poor bastard forgot to pin his, and look what happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AXYANWXAxp4
Actually, he DID pin them and the additional force required to rip the bag off the bike caused him to go cliff diving. So don't pin your bags - it could save your life! ;)

Joking aside, I never pinned mine and they've never fallen off in over 90,000 miles. I do religiously tug on the handle after latching a bag to make sure it is secure though.

This poor bastard forgot to pin his, and look what happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AXYANWXAxp4
Actually, he DID pin them and the additional force required to rip the bag off the bike caused him to go cliff diving. So don't pin your bags - it could save your life!
wink.png

Joking aside, I never pinned mine and they've never fallen off in over 90,000 miles. I do religiously tug on the handle after latching a bag to make sure it is secure though.
D'oh! You beat me by 10 seconds!
smile.png