Linch pin sidecase mod - really necessary?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today when installing my new Canyon Cages, I decided to give the bags a once-over. Yup, one screw missing; the other 3 without locktite were there and fairly tight. However, missing one screw allows the plate to twist under the remaining screw and theoretically loosen it over time.

Replaced the missing screw with a phillips (the threads were slightly jacked, probably from a violent exit of the screw - phillips helped me better locate the screw into the threads) and locktite on all, using pliers to remove and reinstall the remaining 3 torx security bits (can't find my set.)

Pros: low cost 'insurance', easy to do, unobtrusive,

Cons: given the low frequency of the 'problem', it's an unnecessary expenditure of money, time, and drilling.

Being better acquainted with Mr. Murphy and his famous Law than I'd care to be, it seems like the Pros have an edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some folks have drilled through the lower mount of the saddle bags and installed a pin through them, one on each bag, so they can not come off without removing the pins.

Something like this:

3089-0284-trailer-coupler-safety-pin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Only just the other day someone posted on another site about one of his Panniers becoming detached and self destructing on the road. Luckily this hasn't happened to me. Even so I decided to do something about it.

With that in mind I decided to pin my panniers. It turned out to be a very easy job - the basic work took less than 15 minutes to complete both sides. As I have rear crash guards and decided to paint the clevis pins, it took about an hour or so in total.

I've found that since doing it the panniers don't move at all. Whereas before they would rattle a little. Also, when they are full, the bike seems more stable at the rear probably due to the lack of movement.

The minimum you need to do the job is two 55mm x 6mm (2¼” x ¼”) or slightly larger Clevis Pins, a 7mm (5/16”) drill bit and a drill. (Selection of Clevis Pins)

Steps:
  • Optional - Paint Clevis Pins
  • Remove Rear Crash Bars if fitted
  • Offer up drill to the side case and place a lot of Masking Tape on the Panniers where the drill touches
  • Glue Rubber Stays back in place if necessary
  • Optional (recommended) - Drill a small pilot hole centred 7mm from the long flat side of the case support and centred between the two ribs
  • Drill the hole through the case supports and rubber stays (centred 7mm from the long flat side of the case support and centred between the two ribs)
  • Optional - Cut Heat Shrink Tubes to size 95mm (4 5/8") long
  • Optional - Spray small amount of White Grease into the heat Shrink Tubes and slide them onto the Round Wire loops on the Clevis Pins
  • Optional - Shrink the Heat Shrink tube with a heat gun
  • Insert the Clevis Pins

I made a video and took some photographs of the procedure. There is no lighting in the garage, so the video footage was very grainy and not usable. Luckily, pictures were taken of each step using a mobile phone with a flash. The video below, therefore, is a montage of those pictures and more than adequately shows the items and the steps necessary to do this very simple job.

Every time i have heard about the saddle bags coming off it was caused by the lock assembly screws NOT loctited(thread lock) in as required during dealer set up. Mine were also not loctited which i caught in time before disaster. Be aware the top case comes off much easier due to the poor mounting design. The 39L more due to its flexibilty, even with yamaha stiffener plate 😡

For my top case, albeit aftermarket (Givi) but applicable to OEM as well, I made a small hole through the mounting base plate through which I passed a bolt with a small hole in it. Made a matching hole on the bottom of the top case and the bolt passes through it when you attach the case. Inside the case I place a washer on the bolt and put through a small hitch pin. Attached to the hitch pin is a pull string for easy removal. It not only secures the case from possible lock mech failure, it tightens it up so there's no wabble.

Attachments

• 20220901_075043.jpg
    20220901_075043.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0