Loaner rear drive repair tools

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearman

Reaction score
I have made a set of tools for servicing the FJR rear drive unit. These perform the same function as Yamaha p/n's 90890-01229 / YM-01229 (pinion bearing retainer wrench) and 90890-04050 / YM-04050 (gear holding tool). They allow you to remove the coupling and bearing retainer. Although the disassembly and repair process may be covered in the shop manual, there is a similar (Venture) write up with pictures here: https://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/inde...1006&id=383. These will also work on many other Yamaha shaft drives.

I'm going to send a set of these adrift in the fjrforum community. This or another thread in an approriate category could be stickied to facilitate the requests and keep track of their whereabouts. Once I send them off, you're/they're on your/their own. That being said, the following are only suggestions:

-This is strictly pay it forward-you use them, you pay shipping to the next user. Unfortunately, the socket is too large to fit in the cheapest fixed rate Priority Mail box. I believe the medium is currently $10.XX.

-Please make sure you indeed need the tools before requesting them. Leakage from the swingarm weep hole could simply be a faulty driveshaft-coupler seal which requires no special tools to remedy. Further disassembly is required only when replacing the seal, o-ring and bearing associated with the pinion gear.

-Once recieved, try to complete your project in a timely manner so they are available for the next user.

Note: I made these from dimensions I took from my gen 1 while replacing the driveshaft seal and haven't actually checked the fit. I'm 99% sure they will work. If there is a problem please let me know.

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Oh sure, come out with this offer AFTER I have have had both my FJR's final drives to the dealer for seal replacement within the past few weeks!

Good on ya. Not only would I like to have saved $100+ per final drive, but I would have liked to have done it myself for the learning experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work G,man!

Great offer for the FJR community. Kudo's to ya B)

Doesn't look like a job for the faint of heart though.

Gearman ~ That is a tremendously generous offer, and I commend you for your thoughtfulness, as well as your machining skills!

This offer should definitely be placed in a prominent location on the site; perhaps made a "Sticky" at the top of both the Bin-O-Facts section and the Tech/Mechanical Problems sections.

I'm going to ask Iggy if that can be accomplished so everyone will be able to share in your largesse!

Thank you again for your efforts on all our behalfs!

Don

Cool stuff GM, thanks for doing that!

I don't need them now, but thinking of having my swingarm and pumpkin powdercoated black - so maybe a winter project!

Speaking of which, are there optional rear end gear ratios available beyond the stock Gen 1 & 2's?

have you given any more thought to going into production with your own version of 'Just Roy's' steering head tool? :rolleyes: There is sure to be lots of interest out there.

Don

Does anyone konw of this tool set whereabouts? I am in need, and have no dealer locally that has anything good said about them.

Jim Hiler

Albany, OR