Local area knowledge requested

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingshot

Reaction score
Pardon my lack of local knowledge.

If one had a day next week to ride, likely Tuesday or Wednesday, are there any places worthy of riding in the Charlotte area this time of year? 

Thanks Brian

Charlotte covers a lot of area. I don’t have access to my maps right now but if I was on the east side I would check out the area around Uwharie (spelling?). We went through there once in the car and it seemed to have potential. From the north or west a trip toward Morganton would be worthwhile-Highway 181/Brown Mountain WHEEEEEEEE!

There are a whole lot of area to ride, though the best are approx an hour away. Head up north (Virginia line area) there’s a whole lot of great back roads. West is the mountains (lake Lure/Chimney rock area starts ya off nice). Charlotte itself is great for traffic if you are in to that :). You can also make it out to the Dragon, rattler, and hundred of other routes. Day trips easy.

I spend a great deal of time riding the mountains of central Virginia.  Once you get away from the city traffic there aren't many bad roads from Mt Airy, NC to Danville, VA and north.  I've been on most of them.  

Check out www.hdcarolina.com. 

Thank you all. Any weather issues I should be aware of next week?  Otherwise, I think the dragon might be my day trip.  Its a road that I would like to experience.

Been preety wet lately, I'm surprised we haven't heard of any landslides.  We typically get them with so much rain that we've had lately.  Watch the radar for storms coming from the southwest, like from Atlanta, GA or Spartanburg, SC.  Those are the worst.  The ones coming from the south up the coast are generally mild unless it's a hurricane.

When you get here, download the app for news channel WXII channel 12 out Of Winston-Salem, NC.  By far the most accurate radar and forecast I've found for the NC mountains.

Watching this one closely, heading through that area on the way to FWG in two weeks.  It will be nice to get away from the snow for a few days.

Canadian FJR

Neither philter, trailering the bike. We are making a trip to get furniture and other items stored at M-I-Ls in NC.

Thanks rbentnail for the weather app tip. 

FYI, it it daughter's winter break so we will be there for a week. We have family in the area so a couple of days will be spent doing that. I have got the wife's permission for a day pass and maybe another half day. Not pushing my luck too far; yet. However, if the half day comes through. I will likely get lost and return late. 🤫😉

Thank you all for your assistance, but bike won't be making the trip.  Life happens, especially to me.  I will post later, for Canadian FJR's benefit, our route and the roads conditions.

Well, maybe next time the stars will align for you.  I'm not a cold weather rider so I didn't suggest meeting up for a cuppa joe but if you make it in warmer weather be sure to let us know.

Canadian FJR,

We drove out of Massachusetts on Saturday around 3pm and headed down 495 to 291 and then SW on 84 to Stanton, PA. From there, we drove 81 South and then 77 into North Carolina. It took us about 17 hours drivetime which, included stops for gas, food, and dog.  Traffic on the way down was fairly light.

The weather was fabulous yesterday.  In the 60s and sunny. Today, it is raining and in the 40s. We are in Denver, NC. NW of Charlotte. 

We head back on Friday.

Canadian FJR,  

One piece of information.  On the way back, US 84 going north is a toll road.  The GPS will route a 4 hour longer route to avoid this toll.  It wasn't a toll going south or we got off before the toll.

Otherwise, sunny and 40s on the way back. 

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.  

Brian