Long term comparisons on Aerostich/Olympia suits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guys seen this suit---click me
What type of cotton burlap canvas material did they say these suits are made from in Pakistan? Material and denier would be good to know.
Alot of people don't have $1,000.00 to drop on a suit. What do you care where its made? Korea,Japan,Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Pakistan, it's all the same.
The following comment is not aimed at Teizms, it is a basic truth when buying any critical motorcycle product that your safety may depend on: There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. It is the buyers job to determine the difference and how much it matters to you personally.

Should the unthinkable occur I would like to know that the quality of the seam stitching was good and consistent. I would like the thread in the seams to have high abrasion resistance with rip-stop stitching. I would like the armor pockets to stay in place under the stress of sliding. I would like to know that the material used has low or no polyester coating so the suit won't melt into my skin. I would like to know that the cloth used is from the common families of abrasion and tear resistant material. I would like to know that the thread count in the weaving is dense enough to project to a meaningful durometer number. I would like to know that the sheets of fabric are of consistent quality, with no flaws. The suit you listed may very well meet all of these criteria but they aren't mentioned (that I could easily find).

I have farmed out electronic work to other countries. I also have some experience buying critical horse tack from various countries and find some countries generally have better workmanship and material control than others. There are always exceptions, some better, some worse. Teizms really needs more complete technical info on their web site to help judge quality. If I were seriously comparing their product to another manufacturer I would have to call them for better product information. Their product may be as good or better than any of the others.
Nice save, 'Ion..'.

Even some of the big-time/brand name/expensive rider garments are sourced from (what we Americans like to call) "Third World Countries".

I hate to derail this thread,but. Has anyone had an Olympia Stealth for awhile now? Any pluses or minuses to this suit? I'm really thinking of making my credit card cry.
Sorry for the hijack.
I use a Phantom suit for commuting. I have used it on the dual sport many times in nice and nasty weather. It never leaked. It was comfortable to wear on 90+ days. I can be in or out in under two minutes with the liner and heated gear. Fit and comfort are very good. I have no complaints.

I know a couple of people that ride with the RC suit. I don't look like a Depends commercial after getting caught in a heavy downpour. ;)

.... from your experience, what's the highest tolerable summer temp you can use either of these two suits in?
For the RC with a stock windshield:

low humidity (i.e. in the west): 102F and counting

high humidity (i.e. midwest and east): 98F and counting

So far I haven't really found a 'limit' to when I stop riding. I just keep drinking water and keep moving. This is such a subjective scale that I wouldn't know where to start.

For the record my RC is yellow. I'm sure a dark one would change things. A lot.

Haven't tried any cooling vests yet.

I'm still trying to figure this out myself, and am determined to do it the hard way apparently before I just plunk down and buy a roadcrafter.

I tried on the Phantom (Olympia - Mesh) and I'm too oddly shaped for it, though I seem to be about 'average' size when I look at most of the folks at meets like EOM and what not.

I have a short inseam so everything is too long and needs to be altered. I had to have my Olympia Air pants altered.

I do have a Fieldshear Highlander suit (version II). I like it, I really do, but even without the liner, 70 degrees is it's max. It's just too damn hot, even with the vents open. Coming back from the Moonshine run it was mid-high 70's and If I'd have had a sharp enough knife I'd a made that sucker a two piece.

I fear I'd have the same reaction with a RoadCrafter, and being hot is not something I enjoy.

Maybe I need to give this new suit a shot.

There is a 20 page thread about it in ADV Rider. Thats where I found out about it...Oh and they offer a vented, and a mesh suit for $499.00, I'm just waiting for some real world reviews about it, cuz I'm on a VERY fixed budget, Ican barely afford to pay attention....

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to wear the Olympia Phantom. I wore it out in just over 1 year. Hook and loop quit working, a couple zippers broke, and the liner tore. Plus its "waterproofness" went away. I am now about a year into wearing the Roadcrafter. It fits better, is actually COOLER on hot days. The phantom was a cooker! And th RC still looks and functions like new. Yeah the Phantom is cheaper, but in the long run it will cost you more if you have to replace it very year.

Appx 35-40k per year all weather...

I used to wear the Olympia Phantom. I wore it out in just over 1 year. Hook and loop quit working, a couple zippers broke, and the liner tore. Plus its "waterproofness" went away. I am now about a year into wearing the Roadcrafter. It fits better, is actually COOLER on hot days. The phantom was a cooker! And th RC still looks and functions like new. Yeah the Phantom is cheaper, but in the long run it will cost you more if you have to replace it very year.Appx 35-40k per year all weather...
Your experiences parallel mine with all the less expensive gear I used to have. I spend more hours and eventually money updating all of my riding gear - I chose Rev'it because of the high praise from other riders and the fit / comfort!

Best regards,

Shane

I had the Highlander II, I didn't like the zipper at all. I got a deal on the New Fieldsheer Cyclone https://www.Motorcycle-Superstore.com/1/1/4...Piece-Suit.aspx and I like it a lot, with a KYY zipper too. It is heavy and warm, but in the PNW it is a good thing. I bought both the Cyclone and the Phantom and I did not care for all the velcro, so went the Phantom back. I have the Bohn pants that I wear under Sliders or Draggin jeans and they are pretty comfortable in the summer with a lighter summer jacket. I was concerned about the nylon like material of the Bohn and how well it will hold up , but after 18 months it is fine. They will replace it cheap as well. The aerostitch looks really nice, but I am working on getting rid of some ballast and until then I am holding off.

I had the Highlander II, I didn't like the zipper at all. I got a deal on the New Fieldsheer Cyclone https://www.Motorcycle-Superstore.com/1/1/4...Piece-Suit.aspx and I like it a lot. It is heavy and warm, but in the PNW it is a good thing. I bought both the Cyclone and the Phantom and I did not care for all the velcro. I have the Bohn pats that I wear under Sliders or Draggin jeans and they are pretty comfortable in the summer with a lighter summer jacket. I was concerned about the nylon like material of the Bohn and how well it will hold up , but after 18 months it is fine. They will replace it cheap as well. The aerostitch looks really nice, but I am working on getting rid of some ballast and until then I am holding off.

Well I have the RC suit and I haven't tried any of the others. But Aerostich has been making there suits by hand in America for a long time. I think the quality of there suits are second to none. They are not cheap that is why I bought mine slightly used. But I love it. It is very easy to get in and out of. I haven't had any leaks so far. But if your caught in a heavy down pour water will find it's way into even the best rain suit. Like your neck. Let's face it motorcycling isn't much fun in a heavy down pour anyway. So that is my 2 cents worth. My vote goes to Aerostich.

Eric

Since no one has commented on the other request: Bohn versus Forcefield, let me weigh in:

Forcefield by far. I read all the reviews which favored the Forcefield, then tried them on at a local moto show in Dec. Hands down the Forcefield was more comfy, seemed more durable to crash protection. Love wearing it on rides, not at all intrusive.

PS: get a size smaller than you normally would think. Joe Rocket's version is the same maker as Forcefield, without logo, and about $25 cheaper.

I've owned both a 1 pc Roadcrafter and a Phantom. Both are excellent pieces of gear with similar function but subtle differences that may be important to you:
1) Fit - the RC tends to be a better fit simply because it's available with alterations. If you're odd sized, the RC may be the best bet.

2) Ease of entry/use. The RC is slightly easier to get into and out of. When not using the Phantom's liner, the difference is small. With the liner, the Phantom takes several min. longer to enter exit. Since I never use the liner, this is a wash to me now. The main difference is that to get into the Phantom as quickly as the RC, I have to leave my boots off until after I'm in the Phantom. With the RC, you can leave put them on first.

3) Venting - Phantom wins hands down. Much cooler without the liner. Much warmer with it in so the Phantom covers a wider temp range.

4) Waterproofing - The Phantom is 100% waterproof with the vents closed correctly (i.e. plenty of slack on the cinch straps) and no crotch leak like the RC.

5) Padding - RC has better pads and overall feels more stout but the Phantom provides excellent protection too so the trade offs (better venting, fully waterproof, etc.) are worth it to me.
bmwhd from your experience, what's the highest tolerable summer temp you can use either of these two suits in?

OK - Two things:

On point 2) - I meant that WITHOUT TOUCHING THE LEG ZIPPERS, the Phantom requires removing your boots. Once you start futzing with the leg zippers and their velcro-from-hell, the race to beat the RC for ease of entry is lost. The Phantom can be donned very quickly only if you aren't doing the leg zipper shuffle.

On point 3) - Where I live (Dallas area), humidity is the killer. I had to hang the RC in the closet from late April to early October most years. While 85F was tolerable at low humidity, temps as low as 75F could be unbearable with high humidity. The Phantom I can use up into the high 80's/low 90's even with higher humidity because of the arm vents.

I wish Aerostich would make a lite version of the RC with waterproof zippers. I love my Darien Lite jacket and regular Darien pants but you can't beat a 1 piece for commuting duty. I just could not stand how the main zipper on the RC would leak in a hard rain no matter what I tried (which included all the standard advice).

This is my first year with the Darien Lite (I had a regular Darien for 10 yrs) and I'm still wearing it daily as of today despite temps touching the mid-'90s. I'm going to see how long I can stand it before the JR mesh jacket comes out with my goal being to go all the way through the summer if I can. That wouldn't have been possible with the regular Darien.

+1 on the Cycle Port.

I have the mesh pants/jacket and use them daily in Tucson AZ. Currently hitting 100 and have used for 110 plus days. I use a Gerbring jacket in the winter for heat.. I have a liner for the pants that I have never used. I wear scrubs to work, so the daily commute can get warm in stop and go traffic in the afternoon, but not to bad. I really only notice when the fans kick on. When I am on the road, I pretty much just wear shorts and a tshirt and have no issues. Have ridden in light rain and for the most part waterproof, can't say for real downpours though.

Greg

+1 on the Cycle Port.
I have the mesh pants/jacket and use them daily in Tucson AZ. Currently hitting 100 and have used for 110 plus days. I use a Gerbring jacket in the winter for heat.. I have a liner for the pants that I have never used. I wear scrubs to work, so the daily commute can get warm in stop and go traffic in the afternoon, but not to bad. I really only notice when the fans kick on. When I am on the road, I pretty much just wear shorts and a tshirt and have no issues. Have ridden in light rain and for the most part waterproof, can't say for real downpours though.

Greg
Agreed. After much time, and research, I have decided to bite the bullet and spring for a Kevlar ultra mesh II, with all the goodies, from cycle/motoport. Next year I will get the pants. After reading all the info on their website it was a no brainer for me. Even though I can't really afford it right now, I can't afford not to.

I just ordered the Fieldsheer Cyclone. I got it for $209.99 shipped.

I was looking for something for the winter that was warm. I will post a review when I get it.

I just ordered the Fieldsheer Cyclone. I got it for $209.99 shipped.
I was looking for something for the winter that was warm. I will post a review when I get it.

It is a great suit, IMO. It is hot , Ok to the high 70's I would wear just under armor shorts and T under it. The liner comes out also if you need too. In the PNW it never leaked, but not an issue in your area.

Thanks HP. I mostly bought it for the winter. I have a 2 hour ride to work that is very early and it can get down into the 30s. Luck for me I only have to go in once a week. I ordered a 3XL so I could wear layer up underneath to keep warm. Hopefully I will get it in time to try it out before it gets warm. I think this will be a great intro to riding suits. Thanks for posting your experiences with the suit and the great price.

I can't compare, but thought I'd offer my experience after after over 11 years and 55k+ miles

4) Waterproofing - The Phantom is 100% waterproof with the vents closed correctly (i.e. plenty of slack on the cinch straps) and no crotch leak like the RC.
I've had my 2 piece RoadCrafter for the last 11 years on my Concours , and this winter was the very first time I had the crotch leak issue (and I haven't re-applied rain proofing - ever! I've ridden in rain all day many times previously with out an issue). This one time I had a leak, I also had a multi inch puddle in my crotch from the very heavy rain in traffic including a couple of very large splashes from semi's that were almost enough to knock me over - not a fun ride home). So this one incident of a leak was pretty unusual. As I just got a new bike, the 'stitch is going to be treated this summer (while on a non-bike family vacation) to professional cleaning, re-applying rain repellent, replacement of some velcro, etc. This suit has been used for daily commuting for most of the 11 years (less 3 years when Concours wasn't working and 2 young children, and just didn't have time to deal with it) and I consider a great investment. The only thing I've done is spend a few dollars to replace some zippers after all these years.

As for temperature range, I've ridden in low 30 degree weather and with an extra layer (fleece jacket), my body was fine. Heated grips would have been perfect. I've also been thru Death Valley in 120 degree weather (and this was with the Concours' non-movable Rifle screen) - granted low humidty and I was maybe 30 years old at the time. As the saying goes - I'd rather sweat than bleed (which I've done before).

I'm not sure I'd want to pay $1,000 new for the Aerostitch (with hip pads, spinal protector, s/h, tax, etc), but I got mine from a friend who no longer fit (medical issue) in his while it was still in almost brand new condition. We paid about $400 a littl earlier for my wifes from someone who had used hers 2 or 3 times. Side note - I've never ridden with the top/lowers seperated - so My recommendation on a stitch - if buying used, the 2 piece offers an extension piece between top and bottom if your upper body runs on the longer side (gives you some flexibility in sizing). For new - the one piece is lighter and looks better on (imo). IF I were buying a new one from Aerostitch, I'd get a one-piece custom sized for me.

Latest posts