Look What Followed Me Home

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoat

Reaction score
Always wanted one of these. Almost bought one a couple years ago but couldn't quite swing the deal. Found this one on consignment w/3500 mi. at a local shop. Made the owner a lowball offer and he took it. A real hoot to ride. Great "second" bike.

20130126_170717_zps500ae45a.jpg

+1 on the second bike ,I have been thinking about this same bike since my neighbor came home with one.

Give us and update in a few weeks,you know the good the bad and the ugly side.

One more thing, how does one convince the better-half that you need two bikes?

I trade bikes for cats.

My wife is an animal lover and especially likes cats. I prefer dogs, as they actually care about me, and they do not scratch the woodwork or rip the crap out of my carpets. My wife insists that she gets a new cat for every motorcycle that I bring home. We have three of each.

You can come by anytime and look at my 3 bikes, or my ripped up carpets and woodwork.

I think it's a fair compromise. I might even spring for another cat (and another bike) sometime soon.

What the hell, when I'm on my death-bed I won't give a rats ass how pristine my woodwork was. But I'll probably still remember that really awesome ride I had on one of my bikes.

Don't tell her, but I'm getting the better deal.

Looks pretty Steve! Congrats!

But......... does it make you feel retarded when you ride it??????

bye.gif

Really like that bike! I've had several sportsters and have to say they are great bikes. I've wanted that one every since they released them in Europe. I plan on picking one up in the next few years as a second bike.

I solved that problem Fred by divorcing my wife and her six cats. I then got me a girlfriend that's allergic to cats.

Of course that backfired and the girlfriend convinced me to buy a boat and sell the bike. I've come to my senses now and have the boat for sale and a new bike. Oh and I still have the scratched up woodwork.

"My wife insists that she gets a new cat for every motorcycle that I bring home. We have three of each."

So when you sell a bike do you get to shoot a cat? Sounds like a fair trade to me. Our goddamned cat tipped over my wife's five-drawer oak dresser at 4 a.m. Thought it was an earthquake and had to change underwear and bedding. I was hoping he was a kitty frisbee underneath but the fat bastard is still quick enough to save his own worthless hide. Actually, I'm thinking of a pair of new slippers ...

My local Harley dealer had an XR on the floor (maybe still does - they didn't sell very well). I wasn't exactly lusting, more curious. He knows my ride and my style and he used to ride hot-rod Jap sport bikes himself. He said I wouldn't like the XR because I'd have to build it quite a bit to get the power I wanted. He said he had one and went Stage III with pipes, cams, air intake, Power Commander and whatever else it took to get serious oomph. Then he laughed and said, but that dropped the bike's range to under 75 miles! In Montana, distance between gas pumps is often more. He convinced me I don't want an XR. They are (were) the most appealing model in that marque, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new ride!

My bride loves cats, but we have Rottweilers.

Funny coincidence, bride got another Rott... Three days later I picked up Lucille.

Whatever works!

bye.gif
Greg - You know I'm already retarded so I feel right to home on this bad boy. I'm seein' this one as a short term fling. I bought it so right I can ride the bitch this season and get my money back later down the road. Didn't have to ask anyone but myself for permission. You can spend big bucks on these things but I'm bound and determined not to do that. We'll see how that works out. The beast is suprisingly nimble and fun to ride, plus, my neighbors now have a new appreciation for the RT's "refined" exhaust note.
smile.png

Loved to watch them in the AMA series. Invest in some safety wire for all the things that are going to want to vibrate off. I know Vance and Hines make some cool stuff for that beauty.

Hey Steve, I donno if you know him, and I can't remember his real name, but Chick, from Chick's Harley Davidson rides an XR now. An orange one. Happened to run into him in Madrid last year.

He said its fun to rip around on. I think yours is prettier.

"My wife insists that she gets a new cat for every motorcycle that I bring home. We have three of each."
So when you sell a bike do you get to shoot a cat? Sounds like a fair trade to me. .
We have actually had that discussion before. But so far, every time that I manage to sell off a bike another one follows me home to occupy that empty slot in the garage and maintain the status quo.

Unfortunately, it works the same way with the cats too. She had a couple of "high milers" that ran out of gas a few years ago and kicked the bucket. After burying them out back in the woods (in the compost pile actually. Hey! It was winter and the ground everywhere else was frozen) she had some replacement units that followed her home (from the animal rescue shelter).

More on topic: That is a very nice looking bike. Too bad they come with so much "baggage."

Congratulations Steve, that is one beautiful XR! I also love the Street Rods and especially the Buell S3T's.

Ignore SkooterG, he rode the gayest Harley Softail in Arizona: It was pink with tassels on the handlebars!

122_0010_01_z%2B2001_buell_S3T_thunderbolt%2Bside_view.jpg

Our goddamned cat tipped over my wife's five-drawer oak dresser at 4 a.m. ...
What sort of cat was it? A Lion? For Pete's sake, how precariously had YOU propped the dresser up on its three legs? And now you want to blame the damned cat?

Sheesh.

(Click on image for an EVEN LARGER view)

bye.gif
I'm guessing Greg is wanting to compare notes on this with you as he had a sweet Pink HD back in the day.

Edit: Forgot to say congrats to the OP...CONGRATS...it's always fun to scratch that itch...whatever it is.

Congratulations Steve, that is one beautiful XR! I also love the Street Rods and especially the Buell S3T's.
Ignore SkooterG, he rode the gayest Harley Softail in Arizona: It was pink with tassels on the handlebars!

Thanks Don. A good friend of mine (Jim Hickerson) actually participated in and finished the Iron Butt Rally several years ago riding an S3T. Everyone including myself gave him little to no chance to finish on the Buell. He had to replace a battery along the way but that was it. What a classic!

Thanks Don. A good friend of mine (Jim Hickerson) actually participated in and finished the Iron Butt Rally several years ago riding an S3T. Everyone including myself gave him little to no chance to finish on the Buell. He had to replace a battery along the way but that was it. What a classic!
Steve, you will enjoy this: I owned a 1978 Harley-Davidson XLCR, the second year of production. As you know, 1977 was the most produced - half that number in 1978 and only 14 in 1979. I sold my XLCR at a very nice price, but if I had waited 30 years I would have tripled my money!

883XLCR_1.JPG