Look what followed me home!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I punched in the title and found that there were five other threads with exactly the same title!

2017 BMW F700 GS.
Just over 25,500 miles (41,100 km). Needs a little TLC but decently equipped and more suited than the FJR to gravel and modest dirt. I bought it for "the roads less traveled" and I am looking forward to learning a bit about "Adventure" riding.

Maintenance has been neglected a bit and it is way past due for a valve check. Chain/sprockets are nearing the end of their useful life as are rear brake pads.
I will do the valve check (Youtube is my friend) plus oil & filter, air filter, brake fluid flush, and clean/lube/adjust anything that moves (or is supposed to move). Fork oil sometime during the off-season. Front tire is less than 50% but will last the rest of the season and the rear is new. Neither is very aggressive (Metzeler Tourance) but they will do until I have something planned that requires more than an 80-20 tire.

Needs a radiator guard, fork gaiters and some sort of auxiliary lighting - mostly for conspicuity, not night riding. Not dealing with ergos until I have some kilometers on it but a new or modified seat is a possibility. Windscreen is aftermarket but I might look at some sort of barn door for better weather protection.

Going to have to get a BMW diagnostic tool and OBDII code reader. Will see what is available in the way of a service manual. Local BMW dealer is a couple of hours away and they are asshats.

Edit: The FJR isn't going anywhere.

20220803_201630[1].jpg

Last edited:
Had you already been shopping for another bike, or was this just an impulse?
I have been agonizing over getting a dual sport bike for the past two or three years. Trying to decide on big vs small, Japanese vs "other" and new vs used. I saw a nicely farkled 2011 BMW F650GS at a local Yamaha dealership a few weeks ago and it got me looking again. (That bike was factory lowered (I am 6'3") and overpriced.) I think the F700GS ticks most of the boxes so it ended up in my garage. Fair deal on a local private sale.

Should be a decent bike for around town and for shorter local rides and can take me on roads I wouldn't want to attempt on the FJR. The BMW is 200 lb lighter and far less likely to sustain serious damage in the inevitable event of a drop. The FJR will still be the weapon of choice for longer distances and whenever I feel the need for speed.

Need to develop some dirt riding skills...

Nice bike. I too am a duel sport rider . I did 8700 miles through Alaska and Yukon Territory on a Yamaha Super Tenere. Wonderful bike and when the road ends the fun begins! Enjoy.

I did 8700 miles through Alaska and Yukon Territory on a Yamaha Super Tenere.
All during one trip or multiple?
What did you use for tires and how long did they last on those roads?
I have tentative plans (2024 maybe) for a trip to the far north west. I would run 100% street tires from New Brunswick to Whitehorse and have a set of dual sport tires waiting. Swap rubber and ride Alaska, Yukon and NWT until the tires were done and swap back to the street tires for the ride home.
4,500 miles to get there, 4,600+ miles while there (if the tires hold out) and distance home (4,500 miles to ???) would depend on time available, fatigue and bike's mechanical condition. Prudhoe Bay might get a pass but I would at least go to the Arctic Circle sign... Don't know if it will actually happen but it is fun to plan.

1660049020107.png

RossKean, 8700 miles in one trip , 29 days. Flew into Spokane and we all shipped our bikes there to start our Epic Ride. The tires we all used were Mitas 07, a really good dual sport tire. When we returned to Spokane the tires had given up and were completely worn out because of the heavy loads and the roads. We didn't go to Prudhoe Bay, we felt the distance and lack of scenery wasn't a good trade off. We did go to the Arctic Circle Sign, a magnificent part of the trip. That's me on the left with my brother.Screenshot_20210503-083403_Photos.jpg

8700 miles in one trip , 29 days. Flew into Spokane and we all shipped our bikes there to start our Epic Ride. The tires we all used were Mitas 07, a really good dual sport tire.
Quite a trip! The same thoughts occurred to me about Prudhoe Bay - I would only do it for bragging rights, not because of the scenery or roads but, like you, would at least get to the Arctic Circle sign. Good to know that the Mitas 07 held up that far on a heavy bike like the Ténéré. Quite a distance between Spokane and the Yukon although MUCH closer than Canada's east coast! I would definitely do the cross-continent part on street tires...

Looks like you found a nice machine RK, hope it works for you!

Not to get too far off topic. In 2019, Panman and I did 6600 miles from Seattle to AK and back. Tenere's (of course), used K60s front and rear. Tires were great on TOW and Dalton but wet street traction was iffy, especially the rear tire. Next trip (and we will return) I'm planning to run Dunlop Trailmax Mission.

~G

used K60s front and rear
I had heard that the Heidenau K60's wore like iron (with slightly better traction in wet). I am going to have to do some tire research. Of course, everyone has different opinions (and needs). I don't want big knobbies that will wear out too fast unless I expect to run a lot on iffy roads but don't want a 90-10 tire that is next to useless on anything more than really good gravel.

Last edited:
This was our 2nd trip to AK, first time on K60's. The Mitas is a better tire, great wet weather traction and long wearing. Our first trip was a total of 6200 miles and totally shredded the K60's. We read a lot of rider reports before switching to the 07's. Glad we did.

I bought it for "the roads less traveled"
I hear you on that sentiment. I, too had been thinking about buying a second bike for gravel and easy dirt. The problem is, I do not feel that I am competent-enough rider to go two-up on dirt tracks, even with a decent "adventure" bike. So, we just purchased 2 e-bikes, instead. Two new cost way less than a new mid-size ADV bike, about the same as a second-hand ADV bike. I can fit 2 into the back of the Santa-fe. They have 4-inch wide knobby tires, 80 N-m of torque, 60km to 90km range, up to 45 km/h top speed with pedal-assist (plenty fast for gravel roads). Maintenance cost is negligible compared to a motorbike (ex: 4 new tires cost about the same as 1 new rear tire on the FJR). Price of gas is not an issue. Best of all: if you drop them, there are only 70 lbs to pick up! They arrive in a couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes.
BTW: I am keeping the FJR for longer, faster rides on pavement.

Ross
Have a look at Trailmax mission tires (Dunlop). I have a set on my DR650 and riding buds KLR 650. On these bikes 20000km will easily be achieved based on almost zero wear at 6000km.
I have a set waiting to go on my Super Tenere

Nice bike!
Trying to learn some stuff about it. reading the ADVrider BMW "Parallel Universe" sub-forum. All kinds of stuff that sort of makes you a bit nervous after experiencing the relative bullet-proof nature of the FJR. Currently reading a New Owners - Stupid Questions thread which is 138 PAGES long!! Learning some things and figuring out what I have to watch out for. On page 38 so far... Haven't posted any questions yet but I expect to before long.

Everything seems very different and some stuff seems unnecessarily complicated. People talk about problems but it is hard to get a feeling if specific issues are rare or prevalent.

Trying to learn some stuff about it. reading the ADVrider BMW "Parallel Universe" sub-forum. All kinds of stuff that sort of makes you a bit nervous after experiencing the relative bullet-proof nature of the FJR. Currently reading a New Owners - Stupid Questions thread which is 138 PAGES long!! Learning some things and figuring out what I have to watch out for. On page 38 so far... Haven't posted any questions yet but I expect to before long.

Everything seems very different and some stuff seems unnecessarily complicated. People talk about problems but it is hard to get a feeling if specific issues are rare or prevalent.
I have had two Yamahas and two BMW cars. I did have a few issues with the cars, and I can understand the concern folks have with reliability of BMWs, however, for performance, innovation and just flat out fun to drive, they are hard to beat. Not all have had issue with their BMWs either, hopefully yours will run smooth and trouble free. If I were to get an adventure bike it certainly would be a 700 cc class bike especially if I was going to truly go off roads more than just some dirt roads. I think you made a great choice.

Hard to beat a Yamaha. BMW certainly isn't doing that.
I bought my 2011 FJR three and a half years ago with 35,000 miles - it now has 100,000 miles.
Bike still has the original battery and in the time I have owned it, I have replaced one set of fork seals/bushings, a shifter rubber and one set of rear brake pads (fronts are getting close). Not even a light bulb! Only serious maintenance was a valve adjustment (other than the forks). Just routine stuff (tires, fluids, plugs, and lubricants) other than that. That is going to be a hard act to follow.