Looking at a Guzzi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phooking AWESOME Ray! My bud Mike has one rides the holy piss outta it.. no issues, and Mike is a mechanical Luddite.

Congratulations, Ray!

What an interesting choice!  Very cool.

(Nice having jugs that stick out?  You're halfway to horizontal?  Baby steps.)
The problem for you OLD farts is once you achieve the horizontal somebody wants to throw  dirt in your face and plant flowers. With nice semi erect jugs it's the only Italian girlfriend I can afford to maintain 😁

Just got back from the first 150 mile ride and all is well except the rear brake sucks and the locksmith says no to making a new key. It's got a chip in it and needs to be done by a dealer which doesn't seem to exist in Oregon and I'm not going back to San Jose to get it done. Just have to make sure not to lose the key before I get replacements.

Don't know about the rear brake. I flushed all new fluids but it still seems mushy so I did the ABS thing on my dirt road a few times. After it cools off I'll bleed it again. 

It's like riding an old school bike. It shakes, has funny noises  and makes you grin. It goes around corners really well. 50MM Marzocchi USD forks and Ohlins in the rear.

First bike I've had in over 20 years without a RDL seat. That sucks. 

and the locksmith says no to making a new key. It's got a chip in it and needs to be done by a dealer
My FJR has a chipped key as well.  I have two of them plus a RED programming key which is needed to register a new key.  I can get a key made by the "key code" if I need it and then program it to the bike.  Screwed for new keys if I lose the RED one.  I think they have to replace the whole immobilizer system (maybe even the ECU).

Still using one of the two originals after 135,000 km (84,400 mi).   They are made from stronger stuff than the non-chipped OEM keys for the US market (my '07 was a US bike).   The spare black key goes with me on trips and the RED one stays home in a safe place.

No idea if Guzzi uses the same sort of procedure.

It's got a chip in it and needs to be done by a dealer which doesn't seem to exist in Oregon and I'm not going back to San Jose to get it done. Just have to make sure not to lose the key before I get replacements.
Ray, the Spyder is the same way (chip in the key fob). I ordered the base key from the dealer and took that to the locksmith and they cut it to match the original. See if they can get an uncut key to you with the chip in it. ;)

<<snip>> It's like riding an old school bike. It shakes, has funny noises  and makes you grin. It goes around corners really well. 50MM Marzocchi USD forks and Ohlins in the rear.
That sounds a lot like my Tenere...except with different forks and Penske shock! Enjoy the scoot Ray.

~G

I've put about 500 miles on it now and it hasn't pissed me off yet. bleeding the brakes after cycling the ABS got more air out and now I have good rear brakes. 

Played with suspension adjustments which helped a lot. To adjust the rear shock the dog bones have to be removed so I figured I would lube things while I was there. I didn't know the Italians didn't use caged needle bearings. An hour later I found them all and got it back together.

Putting the seat in the upper position and adding the Alaska sheep skin makes my butt reasonably happy.

The onboard computer says the average MPG is 47 so with a 8.5 gallon tank it should have good range.

I need to get a second mount for the Garmin XT cause the phone doesn't screen isn't near as good. 

Might be a keeper.

It's to damn hot to ride today. supposed to hit 100+

Ray, is same on-line T-shirt for RR where I can get your matching Scooter Trash?  I'm glad I met you before you went Euro.  Now I am gonna have to know what is feels like to have twins at 10 & 2  You look great! btw 😝

I've put about 500 miles on it now and it hasn't pissed me off yet. bleeding the brakes after cycling the ABS got more air out and now I have good rear brakes. 

Played with suspension adjustments which helped a lot. To adjust the rear shock the dog bones have to be removed so I figured I would lube things while I was there. I didn't know the Italians didn't use caged needle bearings. An hour later I found them all and got it back together.

Putting the seat in the upper position and adding the Alaska sheep skin makes my butt reasonably happy.

The onboard computer says the average MPG is 47 so with a 8.5 gallon tank it should have good range.

I need to get a second mount for the Garmin XT cause the phone doesn't screen isn't near as good. 

Might be a keeper.

It's to damn hot to ride today. supposed to hit 100+
I didn't know the Italians didn't use caged needle bearings. An hour later I found them all and got it back together.
ROFL!

Good to read you like the old hairy gurl... 😇