Looking for help installing an Audiovox Cruise Control in MI

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignFlaw06

Reaction score
So it looks like the Audiovox is being discontinued, which seems to be a shame seeing as how it's a popular farkle to add on here.

I've only had my FJR for a couple months, and it's spent a majority of that time put up for the winter. I would like an electronic cruise control system for it. Here's my concern. I'm not a mechanical guy. Looking at some of the writeups on the install, I believe it's beyond my frustration limits. Not that I can't do it, but I'll reach the point of frustration far too soon with something I think should be working. Then I either end up damaging something out of frustration, or I end up with a non-functional bike from the start. Either way, it's not a good idea. On top of that, I know for certain that my garage is not equipped with the proper tools I would need.

But if I want this Audiovox, the time to get it is now. I have yet to see a decent alternative that matches function and price. And I'm not keen on the idea of a throttle lock. I want something that will disengage with the press of the brake.

Is there anyone out there that has installed it and might be willing to help? If I can get the unit, what would you charge to put it in? I can trailer the bike without much trouble, and I'm frequently making trips from east to west during Michigan winters. I figure a cruise control system will pay for itself by eliminating speeding tickets I'm bound to get without it.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim

So you're telling him to read about how Smitty used to do installations, but doesn't offer the service anymore, then ask Smitty to do it anyway?

Is there anyone out there that has installed it and might be willing to help?
I would be willing to help with the install. I don't have an awesome garage nor do I have the installation down to a 2 hour procedure like Smitty does, but I could probably repeat my installation in under 8 hours with confidence. I'm in Farmington Hills, so it would be a long day for you with the round trip.

Here's how I installed mine: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114094

[SIZE=36pt]Read this[/SIZE]:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=11551 then contact Smitty.
So you're telling him to read about how Smitty used to do installations, but doesn't offer the service anymore, then ask Smitty to do it anyway?

Is there anyone out there that has installed it and might be willing to help?
I would be willing to help with the install. I don't have an awesome garage nor do I have the installation down to a 2 hour procedure like Smitty does, but I could probably repeat my installation in under 8 hours with confidence. I'm in Farmington Hills, so it would be a long day for you with the round trip.

Here's how I installed mine: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114094

If you read it you will see he does them again!

Tim, You an pickles put your heads together and decide a day to do it my place is halfway for the both of ya.. Heat, Beer, and if yer really decent....

sheep-1.jpg

:lol:

Shot me a pm

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read it you will see he does them again!

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure looked like he retired from doing that work again.

Joker, PM Sent.

UselessPickles, Farmington Hills is a hop, skip, and a jump away for someone with the knowledge. But a heated garage does sound nice, if Owosso isn't too far for you.

Tim

DO NOT GO TO BUSTANUT"S Place.........

You will never look at livestock the same way.......

It's a TRAP, I tell you......

The Audiovox is a pretty easy install, it's a generic automotive cruise control, that can be easily installed on a Bike.

Read up on a few of Smitty's reports and it should be pretty easy..

UselessPickles, Farmington Hills is a hop, skip, and a jump away for someone with the knowledge. But a heated garage does sound nice, if Owosso isn't too far for you.
A heated garage sounds very nice. I did this to my bike last winter in my unheated garage... not so much fun. I'm thinking sometime in mid January at the soonest will be good to get the holiday season insanity behind us and give us time to make sure we get all necessary parts. I'll get some PMs flying to start working out some details...

A heated garage sounds very nice. I did this to my bike last winter in my unheated garage... not so much fun. I'm thinking sometime in mid January at the soonest will be good to get the holiday season insanity behind us and give us time to make sure we get all necessary parts. I'll get some PMs flying to start working out some details...

Sounds like I should go ahead and get that unit on order, so I'll go ahead and do that. I really do appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Tim