Looking for some tips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Calimus

Ok, some know that I was hit by a mini van last week and that my bike is currently at the dealer.

They have done the initial tear down of the damaged areas (basicly the entire faring) and have a laundry list of parts to be replaced a mile long. I asked if they checked the engine, they said they did and everything is good. I haven't had a chance to ask them exactly what was done as far as that goes.

So I'm asking you folks for a little insight. Are there any particulair troubeling areas that should be inspected at length?

So far, here's the short & quick list of parts they are replacing.

Entire fairing & lower cowling

Fender

Healight Assym

All fairing brackets

Brake Peddle & shaft

Right side foot peg

All new nut & bolts for all parts listed - nothing being re-used.

We still have to talk about the exhaust as it was after market, but that will be on the list as well.

If you need to see pics of the damage to get a better idea, go to the following link and click on the pics to make them larger, then click again for full size.

Pics

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to make several trips back to the dealer if I can avoid it. Thanks.

With the exception of your headlamp and can, that's about the same as my damage. Progressive wrote me a check for 1,200 (1,700 - 500 deductible) and I ordered the parts from UMotors for about 800. Later got a check for 460 or so for the damaged lid. That can is pushed way in - I would wonder about that and the swing arm...

With the exception of your headlamp and can, that's about the same as my damage. Progressive wrote me a check for 1,200 (1,700 - 500 deductible) and I ordered the parts from UMotors for about 800. Later got a check for 460 or so for the damaged lid. That can is pushed way in - I would wonder about that and the swing arm...
Is there another something your not telling us there TWN?..... :unsure: .....

Sorry, forgot to mention they checked the suspension. Everything there is fine. The suspension never really too much a hit since i was basicly side swiped and then lowsided, but I asked them to check anyway. Suspension felt pretty good when I rode it the remainder of the way to work, felt as it always did with no changes on the normal bumps and such.

As for the can, yea, the bracket appears to be bent as well as the connecting pipe from the factory exhaust to the can. That will definitly be looked at and replaced. Swingarm should be fine, the marks were there before the accident (I put someone a bit to heavy on the back and I'm no slim jim either).

As for the insurance, thats where things are getting interesting. The jackhole that hit me is now disputing it with the insurance company. Good news is, we both have the same insurance company, so deductables are waved. I don't know what he's trying to do by disputing fault. A cop and 3 seperate witnesses all said the same thing, I'm pretty sure he's pissing up the wrong tree, but whatever.

Insurance is telling me not to worry about the dispute and to inform the Yamaha Dealer to start with the repairs. They are going to contact me in the next day or so to talk about setteling on my gear & medical bills. They are also going to discuss diminished value as well as a settlement for pain & suffering. All of this is without me asking for it. I wasn't going to go after anything for pain & suffering but apparently there seems to be a law here in Ga or something stating they have to. Go figure, sounds like farkle's are in my future.

Anyway, anything else you folks can think up would be great. I didn't think about having the rims/wheels tested as they felt fine when I rode it right after, but you definitly have a point and I'll ask them about having it checked. So far I'm very impressed with my Dealer and at the end of all this, I'll be sure to pimp them in the dealer vendor thread.

As for the can, yea, the bracket appears to be bent as well as the connecting pipe from the factory exhaust to the can. That will definitly be looked at and replaced. Swingarm should be fine, the marks were there before the accident (I put someone a bit to heavy on the back and I'm no slim jim either).
You might have them check the rear subframe closely; mine bent in a lowside...