Looking for tire wear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I know this will likely be taken as a stupid question, but I got bit last week with my normal process, so I thought I'd ask what you guys do.  Before I worked from home due to COVID, I had a rural commute so I'm in the habit of never putting the bike on the center stand unless I'm doing maintenance.  I've done the same thing for years - I check tires before every ride by looking at the visible part of the tire in front and back.  I check pressure before any trip but if it feels ok, I ride a short ride with only a glance.  I'm aware of the mileage on the tires so if it's going long, I check the tread wear indicators but don't usually start looking at them until I have 5,000 miles on the tires. I run Pirelli Angel GTs.

I had planned on taking the FJR to Missouri last week and I had looked at the tires and thought they were fine. The day before leaving, I checked the air and while ok, it was a couple low, so I aired them up.  I had to roll it forward a bit to get the stem accessible.  I noticed the center was pretty worn in the newly visible spot.  Crap!  Disappointing since it just had over 4,000 miles on the tires.  I had to decide if I thought I would chance it or take the Goldwing since it was too late for a change.  I decided to take the wing, so I swapped out the bikes in the garage. I was very surprised to see a spot in the back tire now with cord showing.  

I had got down to cord once before but I had known it was coming because the tire had been showing wear and I was pushing the miles. It was consistent around the whole tire.  Not this time.

So do you guys put it on the center stand and spin the tires before a trip?  Or did I just have a weird tire?   

I'd say most unusual. Mine have always worn pretty evenly all round (though not necessarily across). But I don't run Pirellis. Not that I've heard of any decent brand of tyre doing that.

Of course, if your ABS wasn't functioning properly ...

My recommendation to ANYONE is not to push mileage on tires when planning a trip. Getting caught out on the road not only costs time lost to finding replacements, it also costs more a local dealerships see a live one on the hook (or often don't have the tire you would prefer at the price you expect).

Pushing the miles on tires is a risk to safety when riding locally. It's that and all the above when on a trip.

Center stand and a spin (both tires) before each time I throw a leg over it.

My recommendation to ANYONE is not to push mileage on tires when planning a trip.
I totally agree.  On two occasions, I have found myself on the road with minimal and rapidly disappearing tire rubber.  (Seems to go quickly towards the end.)  Both times, I got down to steel belts (just barely) although I made it home so did not change tires on the road.  (Not necessarily the smartest move but forced by circumstance.)  One time it was a total surprise on a 500 mile day trip and the other was toward the end of a cross-continent trip that started with good tire tread.  Pulling a trailer and over 2000 miles of strong cross wind "ate" the rear tire much faster than I thought possible.  I am a lot more careful now when I head out and this is largely the reason that I have 7 or 8 "take-offs" sitting in the basement with enough tread for "local" riding.  I do not currently have access to tire changing equipment although I have had in the past (and expect to get something set up in the near future).  Hate to toss tires with good tread just because of an upcoming trip but getting the half-used tires re-installed by a shop is more cost than it is worth.  Definitely worthwhile being able to do your own!

Hate to toss tires with good tread just because of an upcoming trip but getting the half-used tires re-installed by a shop is more cost than it is worth.  Definitely worthwhile being able to do your own!
I know people who have a spare set of rims for exactly that reason.

My tire wear has always been very consistent, which means that I know that I'll get at least 10k miles from a good set. I will inspect the tire and remove debris/rocks/etc. every couple of months, so I naturally get a good look at the wear as well. However, as I said, I have never seen surprised wear so far. Last year I was going on a 1,000 mi weekend trip, and my rear was getting close (13k miles). However, there was still quite a bit down to the wear indicator, so I decided to take the trip with the old tire. I inspected it at every gas stop, but to my surprise I couldn't really tell any difference when I returned from my trip. I ended up replacing it at 15k miles, but still a bit down to the wear indicator. This was a Michelin PR4 GT. I have a TPMS installed, as I like to know that pressure is OK as I ride.

I am a lot more careful now when I head out and this is largely the reason that I have 7 or 8 "take-offs" sitting in the basement with enough tread for "local" riding.  I do not currently have access to tire changing equipment although I have had in the past (and expect to get something set up in the near future).  Hate to toss tires with good tread just because of an upcoming trip but getting the half-used tires re-installed by a shop is more cost than it is worth.  Definitely worthwhile being able to do your own!
One of the very reasons I bought a No-Mar a couple years ago.  I always keep at least one almost-but-not-quite worn out front tire and rear tire as spares. A few months ago, when I was going to put in a 500+ mile day riding to Duluth to try on Aerostich suits, I mounted new tires, since I only had maybe that much left on the current set.  I have been caught multiple times thinking I had plenty left, and have ridden home cautiously, carefully, and nervous.  That's no fun, and it's not what I bought the FJR for.  (Love my NoMar, now that I'm getting better at using it, and I love my new Aerostich).

I must say I'm always a bit shocked to hear about tires wearing out at 5,000-7,000 miles.  I'm about to mount a fourth set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's because the first three sets went 17,000-18,000 happy miles with even wear, good traction wet or dry, confident handling, etc.  I don't baby my 2005 Gen. 1, but I am a moderate rider who tours cross-country every summer fully loaded with camping gear.  On the tires about to be replaced, the front wear indicators emerged at 17,500 miles and the rear wear indicators at 22,500 miles -- unbelievable!

Summer of 2019 I replaced the tires mid-tour in Albuquerque, NM, at Moto Authority, an independent shop that offered a great price and equally excellent service.  I ordered the tires a week ahead and scheduled the installation for the day I arrived in Albuquerque.  Did the same thing in Billings, MT, in 2014.  Not a problem if you plan ahead...

I can't speak to my RS3 yet. I've only had it for about 3 years and the tires are still OEM. But they are a bitch on the wallet when they come due. IIRC something around $1500 for a set.

Pirelli PZ4 R02 235/35ZR19 (91Y) XL (rear)  255/35ZR19 (91Y) XL (front)

The spec'd R02 includes sound deadening inside the tire.