Looks like we're getting another tire choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Guy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just opened my October 2013 Cycle World and saw a 2013 FJR in the Bridgestone ad. I read further, and they're talking about the new Battlax T30 -- never heard of that. I went to their web page, and it appears they've not heard of it yet either. I wonder if that'll be a BT023GT replacement or an additional choice.

I've got 6600 miles on a set of BT023GTs and still have 4/32" tread left. I'm truthfully surprised at the life; I'd worried about even making 6000 miles on the set. To have 4/32" left is very surprising. I wonder how long they'll last now that I'm back to Arkansas twisties. I need to go find out.

I've been well pleased with the handling and wet weather performance so far, but the miles have mostly been pretty conservative touring miles. The bottom of the rear tire is kinda square because of all the interstate. The OEM BT023s were gone at 3400 miles, but at least the profile was still round ;)

The T-30 has been available outside the U.S. as the replacement for

the BT-023 GT. They haven't been available here so far.

I'm a little leary of this as I've been extremely pleased with the

performance of the 023-GTs. IMO, the best tire for the FJR that

I've used to date. IOW, big shoes to fill.

Bridgestone's website needs a little work. They don't list the 023GT in the sizes for Honda's ST1300 but they do make them and they are available. I have no idea why they would not try to get the full benefit out of such a powerful advertising tool as their website.

The BT-023GTs have excellent wear and as promised by others before me, the front keeps it's profile, which is a pleasant surprise from the PR2 fronts or really any other fronts I have had besides the Azarros.

I just hate that I have to take off this 023GT rear for EOM, I could ALMOST make it there and back with the surprisingly good wear I've gotten. However, I tend to get frisky when the road gets curvy and I tend to down shift high in the rev zone when preparing for the upcoming curve...so I know that the rear won't make it.

I hate it though...it has such good tread left. Who knows, maybe I'll stick with the 023GT rear next time around as well instead of shifting back to a PR2 rear...maybe I need to test at least two rear tires to make that choice.

Not really interested in a new Bridgestone product when this one is doing so well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think they wouldn't put a new tire on the market if it wasn't an improvement in some way.

Hopefully better performance and increased life but maybe just higher profit margin.

I know there will be plenty of testers on the board to illuminate us when the T30 is available.

You'd think they wouldn't put a new tire on the market if it wasn't an improvement in some way....
Dunno about that. They put the '021 on the market to replace the '020. Definitely NOT an improvement. At least on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think they wouldn't put a new tire on the market if it wasn't an improvement in some way....
Dunno about that. They put the '021 on the market to replace the '020. Definitely NOT an improvement. At least on the FJR.
I felt the 021 was a pretty serious improvement on my ZRX. But it's a much lighter bike and our roads are different .... probably. ;)

My ZRX came with BT057s, which I really liked. I went for new tires, and they told me the 020 was the replacement. Now that was a step down. On the ZRX, the 057 felt much better than the 020. The 057 may have been the only OEM tire I ever liked.