Los Angeles area mechanic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miguel

Reaction score
hello. i'm a new member (just intro'd myself in the new member area).

i was hoping someone could recommend a good/trusted mechanic in the Los Angeles or Long Beach area. i've owned my '03 FJR for almost 4 weeks and i'm not comfortable with the feelig i'm getting in the front end. i'm pretty sure the steering head bearings need to be looked at.

or is it an easy job for me to do at home, provided i figure out a way to get the front end up? i feel lost without a service manual.

thanks!

hello. i'm a new member (just intro'd myself in the new member area).
i was hoping someone could recommend a good/trusted mechanic in the Los Angeles or Long Beach area. i've owned my '03 FJR for almost 4 weeks and i'm not comfortable with the feelig i'm getting in the front end. i'm pretty sure the steering head bearings need to be looked at.

or is it an easy job for me to do at home, provided i figure out a way to get the front end up? i feel lost without a service manual.

thanks!
Where in LA are you?

It is fairly easy to change those bearings but it just might need tightening up.

I know someone who has the tool (right Tim).

R

I would suggest you instal these. I retorqued my original ones several times and still had play in the neck.

Steering head roller bearings

Huge improvement over the stock bearings, no more worries. Reduces or eliminates head shake and makes the bike feel like it has power steering.

To get the front wheel off the ground put the bike on the center stand, lift the front wheel while someone puts some lumber under the exhaust pipes near the front. Works perfect.

Where in LA are you?
It is fairly easy to change those bearings but it just might need tightening up.

I know someone who has the tool (right Tim).

R
i live in Hacienda Heights and work in Long Beach.

do you have a tool name/number?

by the way, i saw the thread about the tech day...i wish i could have gone.

I would suggest you instal these. I retorqued my original ones several times and still had play in the neck.
Steering head roller bearings

Huge improvement over the stock bearings, no more worries. Reduces or eliminates head shake and makes the bike feel like it has power steering.

To get the front wheel off the ground put the bike on the center stand, lift the front wheel while someone puts some lumber under the exhaust pipes near the front. Works perfect.
i like the looks of those tapered bearings. thanks for the tips...i definitely am interested.

the thought of putting lumber under the headers is kinda scary. i'm not saying it won't work, it's just that i've never had a bike this heavy. have you tried this wouthout denting the headers?

i have paddock stands that i use on my Z750S when i remove the wheels...i wonder if it'll work on the FJR??? but that won't do me any good as far as checking the bearings...so, nevermind. :(

2007_0211wheels0007.jpg

Has no one on this form ever heard of a bike lift? I read the posts in this thread about adding a piece of wood under the pipes. I used mine to raise it to take the wheels off. No wood or anything and no creases of the pipes either. The pipes are a LOT stronger than you think Think about it the weight is spread across all 4 so it's not that bad. Now if someone were to jump on it when it's on the lift all bets are off.

Got mine from Harbor Freight and it works GREAT. No need to reinvent the wheel as the saying goes. I saw several lifts people have made and I just chuckle.

If you want a shop to take a look at it, head over to La Habra to LeBard & Underwood. That's where I took my FJR for service I couldn't do when I lived in SoCal.

Has no one on this form ever heard of a bike lift? I read the posts in this thread about adding a piece of wood under the pipes. I used mine to raise it to take the wheels off. No wood or anything and no creases of the pipes either. The pipes are a LOT stronger than you think Think about it the weight is spread across all 4 so it's not that bad. Now if someone were to jump on it when it's on the lift all bets are off.
Got mine from Harbor Freight and it works GREAT. No need to reinvent the wheel as the saying goes. I saw several lifts people have made and I just chuckle.
i had a Craftsman bike lift, but i sold it when i bought my Kawasaki. i couldn't use it because there is no frame under the engine. now i wish i had it (being that you all agree the headers on the FJR can handle the weight.

If you want a shop to take a look at it, head over to La Habra to LeBard & Underwood. That's where I took my FJR for service I couldn't do when I lived in SoCal.
thanks for the tip. i don't live too far from La Habra.