Los Angeles/OC ride to Sedona, AZ for 4 days and 3 nights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Do you want to escape your life for a while? Throw a leg over your bike and come join us on a ride to Sedona, AZ. We will be staying at Sedona Summit in Sedona, AZ from Thursday night, January 20th and will be back on Sunday night, January 23rd. There was a special on TravelZoo for only $44 a night (for a $235 a night room) but I am not sure if there are any more deals left? LINK

We are going to meet at Starbucks on Thursday morning January 20th at 5am in Riverside. The address is:

1201 University Avenue

Riverside, CA 92507

(951) 274-9605

This meeting point will be perfect since the 60 turns into the 10 freeway right around Banning, CA. After a quick meal at Starbucks and lunch somewhere near Phoenix we will arrive no later than 3pm in Sedona, AZ. There are many other much more fun ways to get there that involve some really great roads so speak up if you would like to head out say via Pines to Palms. :) So check your oil and make sure you got lots of tread on your tires because we are going to have some fun.

If ya keep doin' little trips like this you won't be able to afford that new Beemer. ;)

Enjoy and ride safe.
I officially gave up on the Beemer at least for this year. Taking a bath of the sale of my bike and the purchase of the Beemer did not look good on paper once I wrote down all of the costs. I am going to use this year to put lots and lots of miles on the bike I already love. Thanks Simon.

It was 23 below at the Grand Canyon yesterday. Snowing in Sedona.
Cold weather is a concern but I am hoping the Farmers Almanac is correct. I do not mind riding in rain or snow but the black ice always makes me nervous. So far we have 3 people for sure and 2 more that are working out the details now.

JANUARY 2011: temperature 48 ° (1 ° above avg.); precipitation 0.5" (avg.); Jan 1-9: Sunny; mild, then cool; Jan 10-14: Snowy periods east, sunny west; cold; Jan 15-22: Sunny; cold, then milder; Jan 23-30: Rain and showers, then sunny, seasonable; Jan 31: Rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 23 below at the Grand Canyon yesterday. Snowing in Sedona.
+1, Gunny! 13F in Sedona right now. Lent Seth's Mom my Jeep Liberty, to take him to play in the snow, where they're staying in Prescott it's 15F and high of 30F today.

Took the backroad to Prescott yesterday in the Jeep to let Bobby play in the snow, well below 30 up there !
Hi Robert, I wish I would have known you and Bobby were heading to Prescott, my Son Seth and Bobby could have teamed up! Those two could have played in the snow together, would have made for some great pictures!

Do you want to escape your life for a while? Throw a leg over your bike and come join us on a ride to Sedona, AZ. We will be staying at Sedona Summit in Sedona, AZ from Thursday night, January 20th and will be back on Sunday night, January 23rd. There was a special on TravelZoo for only $44 a night (for a $235 a night room) but I am not sure if there are any more deals left? LINK

We are going to meet at Starbucks on Thursday morning January 20th at 5am in Riverside. The address is:

1201 University Avenue

Riverside, CA 92507

(951) 274-9605

This meeting point will be perfect since the 60 turns into the 10 freeway right around Banning, CA. After a quick meal at Starbucks and lunch somewhere near Phoenix we will arrive no later than 3pm in Sedona, AZ. There are many other much more fun ways to get there that involve some really great roads so speak up if you would like to head out say via Pines to Palms. :) So check your oil and make sure you got lots of tread on your tires because we are going to have some fun.
When did you book your room? This deal no longer exists according to their post:

$44 -- Arizona: Studio Suite at Sedona Resort (Reg. $235)* Update (Monday, December 13, 2010): The hot deals always go fast! Our Test Booking Center has found that this offer either sold out due to huge demand or is no longer available. Click here to see other Top 20 deals.

1201 University Avenue

Riverside, CA 92507

(951) 274-9605

When did you book your room? This deal no longer exists according to their post:

$44 -- Arizona: Studio Suite at Sedona Resort (Reg. $235)* Update (Monday, December 13, 2010): The hot deals always go fast! Our Test Booking Center has found that this offer either sold out due to huge demand or is no longer available. Click here to see other Top 20 deals.
I bought the larger one bedroom about a week ago and would be happy to share my room. Both Chris and Boz are sharing the room that is connected to my one bedroom. I decided to upgrade because the studio's and the one bedrooms are the only rooms that share a connecting door. If you are interested in coming and cannot find a deal let me know and I would be happy to let you share my room. Both rooms sleep up to 4 people and there room was $131.57 split for 3 nights and my one bedroom with kitchen was $174.43. Your cost would be $87.21 for all 3 nights. We have 2 others on the fence but it's first come, first served. Worse case scenario I have the room to myself. Would be great if you would like to join us. :yahoo:

I paid for both of the rooms in advance and they already paid me their portion.

Took the backroad to Prescott yesterday in the Jeep to let Bobby play in the snow, well below 30 up there !
Hi Robert, I wish I would have known you and Bobby were heading to Prescott, my Son Seth and Bobby could have teamed up! Those two could have played in the snow together, would have made for some great pictures!
Me too, Don, We would've thoroughly enjoyed the company !

I am not sure we could ask for better weather this time of year. Should be a good ride.

Here are a few photos from the trip. We had a great time and it only took about 6 hours to make it back from Sedona with gas, food and a break along the way. Wind was kicking pretty good but I found the faster I went the easier it was on me and the bike. Other than having my key break in the top case around Barstow it was a pretty uneventful ride. On Saturday I think I had the best day of riding I have ever had. Everything just worked out, the weather was great (except for 18 degrees in the early am going through Flagstaff) the roads were perfect, and the scenery was fantastic. I really love riding in Arizona! I posted this in Southwest forum and thought I would share the same shots here too.

We started out with a ride to the Petrified Forest(Badlands)and the Painted Desert on Saturday. On the way back we all decided to stop off to see the Meteor Crater since it was on the way and the sun was in our eyes. Saturday was the Grand Canyon, Sunset Crater Volcano and the lava trails, Wupatki National Monument and 800 year old Hopi dwellings to see how they lived back then. It was a great way to get off the bike and walk. At night we were in Sedona and the biggest challenge was trying to find a restaurant open after 7:30pm. All and all it was an amazing trip with a great group of guys. Boz did not complain once about riding his R1 and Chris never had a bad thing to say.