Los Angeles to Denver

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinFJRguy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I posted a bit ago about doing an Iron Butt SS 1000 from L.A. to Denver. Turns out it's just far enough.

BUT, I care more about awesome rides than I do license plate frames! For at least 1 way I was thinking about taking 3 days or so and riding a whole bunch of awesome twisties. :D

We are blessed with great roads here in So Cal, but there's gotta be a lot more between there and here.

Yes, I can put in the research through the various apps or maps, but thought I'd tap into the collective knowledge for suggestions. I know a lot of you have covered almost every road there is!

Thanks. Also, anyone down to join up for part of the trip? Possibly planning to leave May 17 in the afternoon.

How far do you want to ride?

Mostly twisties? There is some awesome scenery between the two locations and focussing on twisties won't necessarily get you to the best spots.

I have researched much of this region but primary interest was "things to see".

I mean, I do want to get there but don't want to miss out in epic routes or places to see along the way. :) I'm looking for a sort of direct route, but figured I don't need to commit to freeways in an effort to make good time.

Thanks, Mike. I'll check em out!

Alright, I think my adventure is actually going to happen, starting this Weds eve or thurs am, until about Monday night.

I can do the route through the parks to Denver, or get up north of San Fran and head up the coast to Oregon, looping around and hitting all the twisties between the 5 and the coast.

Suggestions? Looks like a mix or mostly quite warm weather no matter what. Alternatively. I could head down the west side of the Baja peninsula, but thst might be just plain hot!!!!

FYI, the closer you get to the solar eclipse path of totality, the worse traffic will be this weekend, through at least Tuesday

So, I did It! I bailed from L.A. Tues eve. First stop was Primm Nv, the next night I camped just past Boulder Ut on 12 (brrrrr), and I'm now in Grand Junction.

In need of a rear! I'm approaching wear bars on the Dunlop Roadsmart II! I'm going to try to get it done in GJ before leaving for Denver in the AM. I definitely want

to have tread to hit fun roads around hear and make it home!

FYI, the closer you get to the solar eclipse path of totality, the worse traffic will be this weekend, through at least Tuesday
Thanks for the tip! So far traffic has been light. Any tips for tires ober this way? Im looking at Motorcyle Accessories in GJ or All Terrain Motorsports. Alternatovely, I MIGHT try to make it to Denver if I can organize getting something mounted there this aft. I definitely don't want to be stuck until Monday, if I can't get in today or tomorrow.
It's too bad. I thought I had enough meat, and I actually have a brand new set ready for mounting! Haste makes waste, as they say. But at least the adventure got under way.

Full ride report to follow later! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I did It! I bailed from L.A. Tues eve. First stop was Primm Nv, the next night I camped just past Boulder Ut on 12 (brrrrr), and I'm now in Grand Junction.
In need of a rear! I'm approaching wear bars on the Dunlop Roadsmart II! I'm going to try to get it done in GJ before leaving for Denver in the AM. I definitely want

to have tread to hit fun roads around hear and make it home!

Thanks for the tip! So far traffic has been light. Any tips for tires ober this way? Im looking at Motorcyle Accessories in GJ or All Terrain Motorsports. Alternatovely, I MIGHT try to make it to Denver if I can organize getting something mounted there this aft. I definitely don't want to be stuck until Monday, if I can't get in today or tomorrow.
It's too bad. I thought I had enough meat, and I actually have a brand new set ready for mounting! Haste makes waste, as they say. But at least the adventure got under way.

Full ride report to follow later!
biggrin.png
Too bad you don't need a front tire, I've got several spares in the basement!

Don't have any experience with any shops on that side of the state. In the Denver area, any motorcycle shop should be able to mount a tire, it's pretty simple. But I'd probably recommend Vickery Motorsports, Fay Myers Motorcycle world, Grand Prix Motorsports, or Coyote Motorsports. There are probably more, but I've at least visited all those shops.

There's also Performance Cycle, which is local. They say they can mount tires, but only if you bring them the wheel (not the whole bike). I've only got a few hours until I have to leave for a prior engagement, but if you read this soon, I've got tools, we can probably get it taken care of fairly quickly. I'll send you a PM with my cell number.

Alright, I did the best roads of the Co Rockies today and am in Delta. Now, I can go back up I think towards Hanksville and try to find different ways across Utah, I can go down towards Durango and the weave my way to the north rim of the grand canyon and them through Vegas, or I can go towards Falstaff, sedona, the South rim, and then through Havasu/Needles home.

Which is the best way?

Did 12 and 24, Escalante and Boulder, 14 O think through Bryce, on the way to Denver. I think I hit most of the best ones across Utah. Maybe Northern Az is the way to go. Or just slab it from Grand Junction along 70 haha. I'm decide in the am. :)

(Dang autocorrect spelling mistakes.)