Losing a side case. Is this just an urban legend?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oso

Reaction score
Coming back from a couple recent rides and I find that the back hook of my right side case has jumped out of its slot. I unlock the case and re-attach it and try to see why that happens. I can lift on the bottom of the case and there is enough movement to get the hook up and out of the slot. The locking pin that rises when you drop the handle down does not bottom out in its pocket which allows the case to be lifted. I have added about 3/16" of epoxy to the top of the locking pin to see if that will take up that space and prevent the case from lifting. Any thoughts from the group?

A ways back this was an issue for some but haven't seen it mentioned in awhile.  Accepted fix (if necessary) was to drill through the bottom mount and use some version of a clevis pin.

cotter-pin-ss-d-ring-pn-1.jpg

You can do a further search but here's two that popped up to give you an idea of the responses:

+1 to pinning the bags to hold them if you have too much free play in the mount.

Some play is normal but shouldn't be enough to unhook.  Unfortunately, the mechanism that extends the locking tab isn't as robust as it might be.  Can be a problem, especially when it gets dirty.  It can "skip" a tooth or two and the tab will not extend as far.  Cannot be taken apart to fix, as far as I know.

Well,

the 3/16" of epoxy did not fix the issue. I may go to the clevis pin.

My bike is an 2008

Couple of points that may be relevant.

If the mechanism has shipped a tooth, as RossKean suggests above, it is easy to check for this. A little while back, when the skipping of teeth was being discussed, I measured a "normal" bag's locking tab extension. 

In the "locked" extended condition I measured about 40mm (1.6")

(Click on image for larger view)

In the "unlocked" condition it was extended by about 1.5mm (1/16")

Secondly, have you lost the rubber "damper" (item 8 in the upper picture in the bag instructions page below, item 2 in the lower picture)? That would mean the bag was much looser than it should be. (Ignore items 7 and 9, only relevant to very early FJRs.)

If you have skipped a tooth, fixing it is virtually impossible. I would suggest getting a second-hand bag, probably accident damaged, drill out the hinge rivets and rivet your side-case lid to the "new" bag back. All FJR years' bags are identical.

This locking tab is part of a toggle mechanism. What to look for is when you slowly close the latch, does the locking tab reach full extension, then slightly back down? If so, then it is functioning properly. If not – if it just rises then stops, then the mechanism has slipped a tooth and will not lock in place. 

What locks it in place is when the internal rotating mechanism cams over center this preventing the locking tab from being pushed back down. A slipped tooth will not allow this cam action to happen due to insufficient travel.

Brodie

🤔

A lot of good info. here. What I have found helpful is to keep the mechanical mechanism clean and lubricated with silicone stray.. I only have the bags attached when doing road trips, otherwise the bags are stored on shelf and covered. Over the course of three FJR's I have never had one mechanical issue with the bags.

I bought a new 2008 and less than a year later one of the bags was really loose and you could pull it off of the bottom mount and one of the top hooks. Luckily warranty covered it and I got a new one. Out of 4 FJRs that is the only one I had a problem with.

I went with BigOgre solutions. From what I could tell, I'm locking the bags correctly, engaging the slot etc. There is too much slack in the rack/bag connection. The bag can be lifted enough to disengage the rear position. The bag doesn't fall off but I certainly want it completely attached. You are only drilling out the plastic pieces on the bike and bag to use the hasp.

I had a case that jumped a tooth, and for the life of me, I couldn’t fix it. Had to get a new case. Now, when I do ride with them, I’m very careful when locking them. 

This subject was discussed nonstop when I used to frequent this forum (2009). EVERYONE swore you absolutely needed to loctite the two screws on the lock cylinders themselves or they'd wiggle loose to the point where the lock would un-lock, you go over a bump and your cases would pop-off and bounce down the highway. If this isn't even discussed anymore, I guess Yamaha changed something.

I'm looking at an '03 at the moment and I'll definitely be loctiting those screws if I buy.

Loctiting the lock screws is still a thing - although the dealer is supposed to do it.  Definitely worth checking.  "Pinning" the bags (see second post in this thread) used to be a big thing as well but not mentioned as much anymore.  I never bothered and haven't lost a case in 350,000 FJR kilometers.

This lock never fails to disappoint us. I've used one with viking bags plastic side bags and this has been a mess for me ever since. I ordered the locks again this time from the company and then I'm able to solve this now. 

Did the safety pin fix to my 2006 one month after I got it new. Very easy install and have no worries about a loose bag. Ordered it from McMaster- Karr but don’t remember the part number. That was 15 years ago and still running strong. 😁

Lost a bag on my 06 back in 2012-13ish. Was on a gravel road driving spiritedly and seen the bag tumbling behind me. Picked it out of the ditch and was on my way. The other bag was out of the rear upper holder. Checked them after and both latches were normal no jumped teeth and the lock screws were tight. After getting the bag repainted I did the drill and clevis mod and they've been on ever since. I occasionally have found the bag out of the rear holder even with the clevis but no fear of losing it. I ride a lot here in PEI and the other Maritime provinces and as Ross Kean can attest the pavement here is not always smooth. Unless its election time! I remember at the time that the consensus here was these are not necessary but in my case I'm glad I added them.

I ride a lot here in PEI and the other Maritime provinces and as Ross Kean can attest the pavement here is not always smooth.
Sometimes you have to look twice to tell whether it is (or was) paved...

(Haven't had a bag pop off in 375,000 FJR kilometers.  Mine haven't been "pinned".)

Do you ride with the bags empty? I have a tool kit and mini compressor I keep in one side and chain and padlock in the other and I guess it must weigh them down somewhat. Haven't had a problem so far in all these years though one did pop open once when I leaned into a turn. I didn't realize it at first but car behind me blew his horn and I went back to pick up my stuff. No real harm but ground a little spot on the top of the lid. 🤥

Did the safety pin fix to my 2006 one month after I got it new. Very easy install and have no worries about a loose bag. Ordered it from McMaster- Karr but don’t remember the part number. That was 15 years ago and still running strong. 😁
HiYa PainMan, long time! Oh, pin it!

Latest posts