Lost Power to Dash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfie Bullet

Reaction score
Last Thursday I started my 2004 FJR and had no power going to my dash. No tach, speedo, Led display, or indicator lights, except that my signal indicators were dully lite at all times, and my high beam indicator would flash on and of when I used my signal light switch.

I lifted the tank and accessed the two large pin-plugs underneath the rubber protector at the upper right under the tank. I determined that both were severely corroded. I scraped a as much corrosion of as possible and plugged them back together and all was well. However, after a short ride, I lost all my dash again. I purchased some contact cleaner and used it on the connectors. This made them very bright and shiny, like new. I've since put 400 Km on the bike without any problems.

I would like to seal these connectors to prevent future problems. I was thinking of using electric tape to fully cover them. I used dielectric grease in the past and it didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Newfie Bullet

Get them all as clean as possible, then goober the pins and sockets up with dielectric grease. That is what is made for the job.

If you tape the connector body it may help. Or it may trap moisture inside which could be worser. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: