Lost Power

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to the Forum, so please forgive me. I've been following this with great interest.

This doesn't seem like a hard fix. It's just a matter if Yamaha wants to step up to the plate and address the problem.

Either the Spyder can be reproduced in copper with a gold plating which may improve conductivity and avoid the corrosion problem and/or maybe FJRandy can make a new improved grounding harness that would improve grounding to the frame and battery.

I think my spyder? #8 connector might have fried yesterday. Haven't removed the tank yet to see, but my bike stalled at low rpm climbing slow in heavy traffic. My/ blinkers flashing etc... suggest it was not ignition switch. Bike started right up. New to this forum I saw that this grounding issue has been very common. My question is how do I replace it. Do I need to buy a entire harness. What is the fix and will it happen again? . I like to service my own bikes so I would like to avoid taking to dealer. I understand that there is a wiring ground kit that a member has developed and that is great and I will get one, however I need to deal w/ the melted connector first correct? Any help would be appreciated.

I think my spyder? #8 connector might have fried yesterday. Haven't removed the tank yet to see, but my bike stalled at low rpm climbing slow in heavy traffic. My/ blinkers flashing etc... suggest it was not ignition switch. Bike started right up. New to this forum I saw that this grounding issue has been very common. My question is how do I replace it. Do I need to buy a entire harness. What is the fix and will it happen again? . I like to service my own bikes so I would like to avoid taking to dealer. I understand that there is a wiring ground kit that a member has developed and that is great and I will get one, however I need to deal w/ the melted connector first correct? Any help would be appreciated.
You will need to repair the affected connector (likely Spider #4) before you can apply any of the available solutions because those are preventative.

[SIZE=14pt]MOST IMPORTANT IS TO REPORT THE PROBLEM TO THE NHTSA OR TRANSPORT CANADA (as appropriate).[/SIZE] CONSIDER THAT IF YOU'D BEEN PASSING SOMEONE ON A 2 LANE HIGHWAY WHEN THIS HAPPENED YOU MIGHT NOT BE ALIVE TODAY TO WRITE OBOUT THIS. [SIZE=14pt]THE NEXT PERSON TO SUFFER THE FAILURE MIGHT NOT BE AS LUCKY AS YOU.[/SIZE]

THE ONE LINK NOT PROVIDED IN THE PREVIOUS POST IS THE KEY:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=604263

Last edited by a moderator:
The links provided are great and full of details, but just to add a little, the likely culprit is the S4 spider, located under the tank in the top LH corner. Since your bike started up again after the glitch, chances are your case is similar to what my spider bite was, i.e. the spider is starting to fail, but has as yet not fried the harness. If you promptly address this problem with the Brodie grounding harness (more appropriate in your case) you should be fine going forward.

If you leave it, waiting for Yamaha to fix it there is a good chance that the next occurrence will melt the crap out of your harness requiring a full replacement. Last I heard, harnesses were on back order and it would be a mistake to let most dealers replace the entire harness because they will create 100 other problems in the process.

I totally agree with Bramfrank's logic and support his position, however, I am quite pessimistic about the chances of a Yamaha recall anytime soon, and You don't have much time left...

The links provided are great and full of details, but just to add a little, the likely culprit is the S4 spider, located under the tank in the top LH corner. Since your bike started up again after the glitch, chances are your case is similar to what my spider bite was, i.e. the spider is starting to fail, but has as yet not fried the harness. If you promptly address this problem with the Brodie grounding harness (more appropriate in your case) you should be fine going forward.

If you leave it, waiting for Yamaha to fix it there is a good chance that the next occurrence will melt the crap out of your harness requiring a full replacement. Last I heard, harnesses were on back order and it would be a mistake to let most dealers replace the entire harness because they will create 100 other problems in the process.

I totally agree with Bramfrank's logic and support his position, however, I am quite pessimistic about the chances of a Yamaha recall anytime soon, and You don't have much time left...

Thanks bram and james . I thought spider under tank top left was 8 not 4. Anyway l need the harness. Do you have link to aq

Aquire?

Thanks bram and james . I thought spider under tank top left was 8 not 4. Anyway l need the harness. Do you have link to aqAquire?
I assume you're going to do this under warranty, YES or something? If that's the case I doubt they will let you do it yourself so you'll need to go through a dealer. If that's the case I would suggest checking with a few guys on the Forum who've had the dealer replace their harness as at least you know the dealer flunkies are capable of doing the job correctly - it's a big-ass job.

If this repair is on your dime, you might want to check to see if you can "peel" back enough harness near S4 to simply add your own wiring and either use the Broadie ground harness for the rest of the spiders or do what I and a few others (early victims) did and simply snip off the remaining spiders and solder your own ground wires for all the critical spiders. There are two spiders that can be left alone, from memory S5 & S7 which are for the ECU grounds and should not be grounded to the frame. For these two I simply cut off the spiders and wrapped and soldered all the wires together, securing the joint with heat shrink and zip ties. If you still need to buy a harness you'll need to look for it on the microfiche, say RonAyers.com or similar. Or possibly from a wrecked bike.

Hi Unforgiven,

I had a stall with my flashers coming on immediately following. From what I've learned, the #4 might be damaged, the one you are describing. My question to anyone is, is it ok to riide my bike if the #4 is not damaged yet. I have ordered Brodie's harness however I have to wait my turn to get one. What do you think. What have you done when one is melted to fix it. Thanks, Dan

Hi Unforgiven,

I had a stall with my flashers coming on immediately following. From what I've learned, the #4 might be damaged, the one you are describing. My question to anyone is, is it ok to riide my bike if the #4 is not damaged yet. I have ordered Brodie's harness however I have to wait my turn to get one. What do you think. What have you done when one is melted to fix it. Thanks, Dan
Dan

Your best bet is to pull the tank and have a look for yourself before you make that decision. It is not that hard to do, however since it is your first time I could see how you could be apprehensive about it. It's such a pretty bike to be pulling it apart so soon, perhaps I can help you. Since we are neighbors separated by 40 miles lets get together this weekend and have a look.

PM sent, check your e-mail.

Brodie

OK. A special thanks goes out to Brodie, who contacted me re: my problem and invited me over to his place (Lucky for me, he is only 40 mi. to the south) to help me diagnose my problem. Sure enough, when we pulled the tank, there was the #4 spider with a baby bite. I can't express my gratitude enough for the FJR forum and Brodie for helping me diagnose and FIX my issue within days. Below is an image of the baby bite (upper left discoloration) which we were able to find in time to avoid me being marooned or even worse taking a dirt nap. If your bike stalls for no apparent reason and the flashers come on or other weird stuff goes on with your displays don't delay and pull the tank and check out #4 spider. Thanks again for all of the members who dug deep to find the root cause. By the way Brodie, the Dr. Pepper was awesome.

2010-09-11_14-39-57_695.jpg
[/img]

Good photo showstopper. Looks like mine did, that brown area in the upper left corner, was corroded inside. Look at the black cap, does it show any deterioration? Mine had just a little bubbling underneath, the top was fine.

FYI a quick and dirty emergency repair to get you going again, carry a 5' length of wire with you, stick one end into that hole in the center of the spider and tape it to hold it, then connect the other end of the wire to the frame. This restores the ground connection and gets you on your way. Use a substantial gauge of wire. Then immediately order Art's or Brodie's fix. I convinced my dealer that the fix was to completely replace both wiring harnesses under warranty, which he did. When he did he connected Art's harnesses to it.

I said it before this is going to happen to you, just a matter of time.

Hello All,

I have been reading all the information I can on the ground isssue recall! My question for everyone with way more knowledge is do I have Yamaha dealer fix this issue or do I source something else? Like the help form Brodie that eveyone else is suggesting or recommending? Any info in solving this issue is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Thanks Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

I have been reading all the information I can on the ground isssue recall! My question for everyone with way more knowledge is do I have Yamaha dealer fix this issue or do I source something else? Like the help form Brodie that eveyone else is suggesting or recommending? Any info in solving this issue is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Thanks Steve
ASSuming your local dealer has competent techs, I'd have the dealer fix it. You can always add the Brodie harness if needed. I already have the BH, and won't be changing anything..

Hi,

I'm in the UK. Last week my 09 FJR3100A went in to the local dealer for the recall ground spider harness. Up until this was replaced, I'd had no issues.

Last night, I finished work, and went to start the bike. It was in the basement of my building, all warm and dry since the morning. All usuall ignition lights and sounds, but when I pressed the starter, I suffered the symptoms detailed in earlier threads:

- both indicator dash lights lit

- full beam dash light lit

- minimal if any power screen

- no head lights

- all 4 indicators lit

I restarted the bike several times to see if anything changed. Even disconnected and reconnected the battery. No change. :(

The bike would still run, and hasn't stalled on me.

I took it into the dealer this morning. They immediately called Yamaha Tech Services, who suggested that it was some relay behind the lights. The Mech did ask me if it was out in the rain yesterday, which it was - it is Scotland! I run the bike 8 months of the year in all weathers. The only thing that will stop me is salt on the roads.

I'll be calling them before 1700GMT tonight to see if they've managed to fix it.

Thought I'd add this as there may be more too it than just an earth.

Al.

Hi,

I'm in the UK. Last week my 09 FJR3100A went in to the local dealer for the recall ground spider harness. Up until this was replaced, I'd had no issues.

Last night, I finished work, and went to start the bike. It was in the basement of my building, all warm and dry since the morning. All usuall ignition lights and sounds, but when I pressed the starter, I suffered the symptoms detailed in earlier threads:

- both indicator dash lights lit

- full beam dash light lit

- minimal if any power screen

- no head lights

- all 4 indicators lit

I restarted the bike several times to see if anything changed. Even disconnected and reconnected the battery. No change. :(

The bike would still run, and hasn't stalled on me.

I took it into the dealer this morning. They immediately called Yamaha Tech Services, who suggested that it was some relay behind the lights. The Mech did ask me if it was out in the rain yesterday, which it was - it is Scotland! I run the bike 8 months of the year in all weathers. The only thing that will stop me is salt on the roads.

I'll be calling them before 1700GMT tonight to see if they've managed to fix it.

Thought I'd add this as there may be more too it than just an earth.

Al.
The recall only addresses spider S4 under the tank. Due to your symptoms, I highly suspect a spider failure but it could be one of the other ones on the bike like the one above the left headlight that failed on my FJR as reported IN THIS POST . If you determine that you have a failure of a spider other than S4, please post in THIS THREAD .

The other possibility is that even though the dealer didn't see evidence of burning of the S4 connector, the sockets inside are corroded and/or have insufficient pin tension. This would cause a loss of ground and symptoms that you are experiencing. If that's the case, Yamaha should cover a complete harness replacement.