Lost Two Riders in My Area This Week....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
This is terrible news. And as we see too often, they were single-vehicle accidents. In the first case, on Bear Creek Rd., it looks like the rider took a right-hander too hot and hit the opposite guardrail. In the second one, since it's a wide, straight, faaaaast, arterial, I can only hypothesize alcohol, or speed + low skills, or road obstruction, or....who knows?

I ride these two roads all the time. Even though it's rural, Bear Creek Rd. is a freakin' roller-coaster with 50-mph posted speed limits. I was on it not long ago with HYCLE and a slow-moving BMW Z4 convertible.... :rolleyes:

Always eager for an opportunity to shamelessly reprise my videos, this one shows the Bear Creek Roller-Coaster between 1:25 and 2:27. You will see how tempting it is to open up the throttle (unless you possess my type of self-restraint :innocent: ). The ride is going opposite his crash direction. My guess is that he hit the guardrail you see ahead on the right at 2:08 (or the one at 2:17).

The only video I could find of the Richmond Parkway is here between 1:08 and 1:12.

-------------------------------------

[SIZE=12pt]One motorcyclist dead, another injured in two East Bay crashes[/SIZE]

By Hilary Costa

STAFF WRITER

04/06/2008 . One man died and another was in serious condition Sunday night after two East Bay motorcycle accidents.

The first accident left a Hercules man in serious condition [died in hospital] Sunday afternoon after crashing his motorcycle into a guardrail on Bear Creek Road in Orinda near San Pablo Dam Road.

The 42-year-old man, who was not identified, was riding a 2005 Suzuki motorcycle southbound ahead of three friends at about 3:45 p.m. Sunday when he crossed the center divide and hit the guardrail on the east side of Bear Creek, said CHP Sgt. Keith Marsden.

The man was found unconscious by his friends, who did not see the accident, Marsden said. He was wearing a helmet but suffered head trauma. The victim was traveling at a high rate of speed, Marsden said.

Traffic on Bear Creek Road was shut down in both directions for more than an hour while CHP, Contra Costa County Fire and Moraga-Orinda Fire units responded to the scene. The victim was transported by ground ambulance to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where he remained in serious condition Sunday night, Marsden said.

The second motorcycle accident occurred in Richmond at 6:51 p.m. on Richmond Parkway at Parr Boulevard, according to CHP dispatchers. Craig McGiffin, 33, of San Francisco lost control and was thrown from his motorcycle into the roadway, said CHP Officer Sam Morgan. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The solo crash was reported around 6:50 p.m. as the rider was northbound on Richmond Parkway near Parr Boulevard.

After the man lost control, he hit a curb, and the impact threw him into the center divider and a tree, Morgan said. No other vehicles appear to have been involved in the accident, Morgan said. Officials are investigating what may have caused the rider to lose control, such as a medical issue or distraction. The weather was clear at the time of the crash, Morgan said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking People pushing too hard on a bike NOT designed for Canyon Carving.

If you want to play Boy Racer, Get a 600 Super Sport. And do it on the track.

Take one old Fart + lots of Horsepower- riding skills- riding over your head= DEATH

I hate to say it...but El Paso has you beat by one.

Three motorcycle fatalities in just these past two days in three separate accidents.

1) Kid showing off on a crotch rocket with a girl he just met. He couldn't negotiate a mountain

curve as he and his squid-pack raced over the pass. He's O.K. She was stupid...now she's dead.

2) 58 yr old man new to motorcycling. Put down big dollars on a Big Dog chopper. Bike only two months

old...he hits a guardrail exiting the interstate and kills himself.

3) Ft Bliss solder on a crotch rocket...screaming 100+ (according to witnesses) on a heavily traveled

city street. Blew a red light and slammed a van. His impact spun the van almost 360. His helmet

was only for show.

We seem to be the motorcycle fatality capitol of the U.S. for far this year. Has most everything

to do with kids...new crotch rockets...and a short twisty mountain pass through the Franklin mountains

here in town (they ride it in packs and do time-trials...some ride beyond their abilities and go off the edge).

/or/ showing off on the city streets.

I hate to say it...but El Paso has you beat by one.

Three motorcycle fatalities in just these past two days in three separate accidents.

1) Kid showing off on a crotch rocket with a girl he just met. He couldn't negotiate a mountain

curve as he and his squid-pack raced over the pass. He's O.K. She was stupid...now she's dead.

2) 58 yr old man new to motorcycling. Put down big dollars on a Big Dog chopper. Bike only two months

old...he hits a guardrail exiting the interstate and kills himself.

3) Ft Bliss solder on a crotch rocket...screaming 100+ (according to witnesses) on a heavily traveled

city street. Blew a red light and slammed a van. His impact spun the van almost 360. His helmet

was only for show.

We seem to be the motorcycle fatality capitol of the U.S. for far this year. Has most everything

to do with kids...new crotch rockets...and a short twisty mountain pass through the Franklin mountains

here in town (they ride it in packs and do time-trials...some ride beyond their abilities and go off the edge).

/or/ showing off on the city streets.
What is tragic about those incidents in addition to the loss of life is that they are so freakin' predictable and avoidable by proper training.

What is tragic about those incidents in addition to the loss of life is that they are so freakin' predictable and avoidable by proper training.
Actually, JB, this is a timely and pointed posting. Its good for all of us to remember three things....

1) While brushing your teeth in the morning, Turn on your brain!

2) Before riding, make sure the connection between your brain and your right wrist is solid....intermittent connections or brain lapses can be hazardous of fatal.

3) You have family and friends. Your temporary stupidity will affect them forever.

[SIZE=8pt]A new riding season, I've already taken some nice local rides, we're planning NorCal group rides and arrangements for the trip to NAFO in Golden. I'm sitting here misty-eyed because I miss OrangevaleFJR![/SIZE]

Actually, JB, this is a timely and pointed posting. Its good for all of us to remember three things....

1) While brushing your teeth in the morning, Turn on your brain!

2) Before riding, make sure the connection between your brain and your right wrist is solid....intermittent connections or brain lapses can be hazardous of fatal.

3) You have family and friends. Your temporary stupidity will affect them forever.

[SIZE=8pt]A new riding season, I've already taken some nice local rides, we're planning NorCal group rides and arrangements for the trip to NAFO in Golden. I'm sitting here misty-eyed because I miss OrangevaleFJR![/SIZE]
Thank you, Mike. Good stuff to remember as the riding season begins (for those in cold-weather states that is--gee, I wonder what that's like.... :p ).

I would have liked to know Orange better.

Jb

Last edited by a moderator: