Loud Pipes? Nice job.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If loud pipes save lives then why isn't 150 dba ahooga horns standard equipment with the cruiser crowd? Oh damn they may not look good and it is more important to look good than to be good. Hell in the mid 70's I had loud pipes on my 1972 450 Honda and I did it to get attention, pure and simple.

I was in San Francisco Sunday, down near the Ferry Bldg.--that's the waterfront, very touristy. Beautiful day, lots of street entertainers, hawkers, happy families. Then maybe 100 noisy-assed Harleys came blasting down the Embarcadero. What a total pain in the ass bunch of dicks! Lots of blipping and high revs, really trying to be as obnoxious as possible. I might consider signing that petition myself.

Try riding your motorcycle down the 17 Mile Highway that goes past Pebble Beach (Ca) and find out about the consequences of loud pipes.

I fully support any enforced law or bylaw that shuts up a bunch of inconsiderate fucks. Be they bikes, trucks with jake brakes, stereo's or whatever.

In this town, aw geez, don't even get me started. Where do I sign.

We live on a lake with only one road in/out. Our house is on a lot surrounded by woods making it pleasant to live out on our deck in the summer, breakfast with the butterflies and birds and supper with the setting sun. Every stinking bike with loud exhaust feels the need to rev the engine as they pass the lake road and every stinking bike with loud exhaust going in and out of the lake has to rev their engines all the way down the road and rev the s#it out of the engine at the stop sign. For us, conversation has to come to a stop, all we can do is sit and wait for the owners of these 'bad bikes' to finally pull away. The booming town of Sandown (church, police/fire and convenience store) is two miles away yet we can still hear the bikes as they pass through town, we know this because of the hill that they have to go over. Some of the pipes are so loud that they not only save lives, they raise the dead. A stock FJR is so quiet that I'm surprised any of us are still alive
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year we parked in the bike parking inside IMS for the Indy 500 and after the race there was a couple of drunk Harley riders reving their bikes to ridiculous levels. I was talking to a fellow FJR owner and we had to wait for the two drunk idiots too leave. This year my squeezes daughter moved back to Indy and rehabbed a home just a couple of blocks from the track so we parked there. We will park in the museum lot for the MotoGP though, it's an entirely different class of Rider there and the one "bike event" in Indiana that isn't dominated by v-twinner poseurs.

I spent almost 16 years working in the parts department of a Harley dealership. It almost seemed like it was a requirement to fit the loudest most obnoxious exhaust available onto most bikes we sold. Unfortunately, the customer is always right and no matter how much we would try to convince most of the buyers that these pipes would actually harm performance and that they would be better off with a different set of pipes, in the end, it's the buyers choice.

I can only wonder how many of these people in the coming years will experience hearing loss.

As much as I dislike loud pipes they are the bees knees for lane splitting. Get behind a loud pipe and the cars will make room for the pinhead in front of you faster than you can say loud pipes save lives.

It's the only time I want to hear some noise.

The booming town of Sandown (church, police/fire and convenience store) is two miles away yet we can still hear the bikes as they pass through town, we know this because of the hill that they have to go over. Some of the pipes are so loud that they not only save lives, they raise the dead.
tongue.png

Quiet pipes allow me to hear other vehicles approaching my "outer perimeter". A quiet exhaust also helps me be a good guy in my urban, high-rise neighborhood.

I agree with Bugnatr about lane splitting.

On Saturday I had several miles of splitting, followed by my son, me on my near-silent FJR, him on his Ducati Monster. The Monster is NOT near-silent.

Had to stop for a narrow gap, driver in one lane having stopped his car pointing into "my" lane. Rev'd my engine (having selected neutral, got to watch these YCC-S things), not a reaction. Son, behind me, revs his Duc; car driver jumps into alertness, can't get his car out of the way quickly enough.

Loud pipes may or may not save lives, but they certainly get you noticed.

Ps. I won't use my horn in these situations, but that's part of my personal lane-splitting etiquette.

Last edited by a moderator: