Lowering options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Love everything about my 09 FJR. Crossed the country on it and put 30,000 miles on it in 2 years. However it's too tall for me while parking in anything less than level ground or in gravel. Haven't dropped it but I avoid pull offs (lookouts) on mountain roads because of my uncertainty. Suggestions for suspension changes or minimal dogbones would be appreciated. A half inch lower would be a big improvement for me. My Corbin seat had minimal improvement in this reguard but is a great seat. Whether I lower it or not I'm contemplating a Canyon Cage. Would appreciate any comments about it's effectiveness and ease of installation.

Thanks, Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with Soupy's Performance, fully adjustable links and billet aluminum adjustable kick stand. I played with the links till I was solidly flat footed and then shorten the kickstand so the bike had the stack lean angle when parked. Once lowered the kick stand needs to be adjusted. Both products are of excellent quality. Google them on the web.

So how is the centerstand with Soupy's solution. Does it work normally?

Bill

Since you already mentioned it, a well built custom seat that is narrower at the front will help a bunch. Just had both my seats done by Laam Custom Seats and I can definitely recommend his work. Quality components, excellent work and a great fit make me a happy customer. Price can't be beat either.

With any sort of lowering you'll be compromising available lean angle.

Good luck!

--G

Bill,

I have been using the Kouba-Link for the last 4 years. Lowers bike by 7/8". Have to be careful over speed bumps and modify the kick stand. The front forks are only lowered by 1/2"

G.

Rear Canyon cages are a no brainer for the inseam challenged. They will protect those $809 bags! DAKHIK.

So how is the centerstand with Soupy's solution. Does it work normally?Bill
I guess I can't speak specifically to Soupy's product, but pretty sure that if you lower the bike and don't do anything to the center stand, it will still work normally, but is a real bear to get the bike on it - I flat out cannot do it. A big strong man probably can
smile.png
I'm just a dainty little girl
angel.gif

I have the Kouba links on my bike. I haven't cut the side stand down yet, but again, being a girl, I just princess park everywhere and smile - works every time.

Since you already mentioned it, a well built custom seat that is narrower at the front will help a bunch. Just had both my seats done by Laam Custom Seats and I can definitely recommend his work. Quality components, excellent work and a great fit make me a happy customer. Price can't be beat either.
--G
Is there anyone on the east coast (particularly the southeast) doing this sort of work? I'd love to do a ride in, but LAAM is a 5600 mile round trip for me.

...I'm just a dainty little girl
angel.gif

I have the Kouba links on my bike. I haven't cut the side stand down yet, but again, being a girl, I just princess park everywhere and smile - works every time.
Dainty little girl MY ASS!!
lol.gif
lol.gif
no.gif
You do have a way of working the system though. Enjoy it while you can since your charm, good looks, & 'lash-batting probably won't work as well after you turn 30.
winksmiley02.gif

I guess I can't speak specifically to Soupy's product, but pretty sure that if you lower the bike and don't do anything to the center stand, it will still work normally, but is a real bear to get the bike on it - I flat out cannot do it. A big strong man probably can
smile.png
I'm just a dainty little girl
angel.gif

Hello Kitty...Well I don't think Princess parking will work for me and at 65 I'm not a big strong man. So I'm leaning to just getting the canyon cage. BTW I love your avatar.

Bill

Hello Kitty...Well I don't think Princess parking will work for me and at 65 I'm not a big strong man. So I'm leaning to just getting the canyon cage. BTW I love your avatar.Bill
I love my avatar too. Don't listen to Sherlock, I am a dainty girl DAMMIT! <foot stomping>

You need to learn to work the system. Act senile and frail, you can do anything you want.
smile.png

Hello Kitty...Well I don't think Princess parking will work for me and at 65 I'm not a big strong man. So I'm leaning to just getting the canyon cage. BTW I love your avatar.Bill
I love my avatar too. Don't listen to Sherlock, I am a dainty girl DAMMIT! <foot stomping>

You need to learn to work the system. Act senile and frail, you can do anything you want.
smile.png
The problem is...it won't be an act!! Bill

I have been using the Kouba-Link for the last 4 years. Lowers bike by 7/8". Have to be careful over speed bumps and modify the kick stand. The front forks are only lowered by 1/2"
Same here. Before that I did that install I set it over a couple of times on uneven ground. I watch for speed bumps and other high spots but so far, so good. It has made a huge difference.

Here's a guy on the east coast. From Bill Watt, regarding his much better half's FJR:

We used Stig at https://www.ppsracing.com/

Stig built her a lowered rear Ohlins re-valved and resprung and we lowered the front forks as far as they would go, there is a stop.

We added the Heli bars and bar backs and bought a pare Sid stand and had it cut down

--G
Is there anyone on the east coast (particularly the southeast) doing this sort of work? I'd love to do a ride in, but LAAM is a 5600 mile round trip for me.
There's always UPS and FedEX! Not aware of anyone in the SE, but it'll be worth checking around.

--G

I went with Soupy's Performance, fully adjustable links and billet aluminum adjustable kick stand. I played with the links till I was solidly flat footed and then shorten the kickstand so the bike had the stack lean angle when parked. Once lowered the kick stand needs to be adjusted. Both products are of excellent quality. Google them on the web.
Ditto - used Soupy's links & billet side stand on 2 bikes, excellent products.

I can't use it but I never did master the technique - both of my mechanics can do it though... with a little extra effort.

I've worked on MEMs lowered '07 a couple of times. She has the kouba links on hers, and even though I'm a burly 230 lbs (who doesn't need any lowering links) I can't get hers up onto the center stand without backing the rear wheel onto a 2x6 first.

The good news is that after you do get it up on the stand the rear wheel will pull out from under the fender without putting the center stand on a block of wood (like a stock bike requires). ;)

Another option is to remove the center stand and have the legs cut and re-welded shorter.

I have also recently installed the Soupy's adjustable links and their adjustable side stand. After owning my 05' for 8 years and riding over 50,000 I have asked myself why I didn't do it sooner. I have set the links to approx 1" lower and lowered the front an equal amount. For using the side stand I just roll the bike up on a 2x6 like Frew W mentioned. No problem lifting it at all then. I have a RDL seat and have had my riding boots 'modded' to add a bit there as well. Bike handles and rides very very well. Other mods I've done over the years include the AK front cartrages, Ohlins rear shock and of course setting the SAG and compression/rebound to my liking. One thing I have noticed about lowering the bike is I 'think' I can feel the difference with the lower CG as well. But as others have mentioned, be careful of the reduced ground clearances!

Curious about the folks who have lowered their FJRs. I'm not the tallest person in the world (5'6", 30" inseam or maybe a little less), but I'm okay with the current bike height. I have my saddle on the low setting, and don't have a problem touching both feet. I am on the balls of my feet (not flat-footed). I've also learned to be willing to scoot over to one side or the other if conditions warrant, and to pick my stopping places carefully (don't stop on a sideslope, or if I do angle the bike so that it is heading up the slope, not across it).

I'd worry about lowering the bike due to decreases in lean angle/clearance, and suspension travel.

BTW, I have an AE, and think it's better for us shorter riders... don't have to worry about the clutch as much when uneven ground is challenging.