lowering the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortdog

Reaction score
looking into sport touring.FJR seems to be the best fit but still a little tall (liked the C14 too but way too tall) what are the tricks to lowering the FJR?

Thanks in advance

looking into sport touring.FJR seems to be the best fit but still a little tall (liked the C14 too but way too tall) what are the tricks to lowering the FJR?Thanks in advance

I put Koubalinks onto my wife's '05 and brought the forks up through the triple clamp 3/4". She is 5ft 5", 115ibs, can now almost flatfoot and feels much more secure at stoplights.

Downsides are that lowering changes the geometry of the rear suspension so the shock had to be set to 'hard' for the rear end not to wallow on bumps. Also you lose significant cornering clearance. I (175ibs) have ridden the bike moderately and find it ok lowered but I get nervous about the lack of clearance. I don't think a lowered bike would handle 2 up well unless they were real lightweights. It also wouldn't do for aggressive riding imho.

One other thing: with the Rifle Touring windshield and the optional Yammie footguards the bike has given a dry ride in all weather conditions. But in the one heavy rain since the bike was lowered Pat got seriously wet. Don't know if it was just an unusual mix of cross winds or if lowering the bike/reducing the gap between belly pan and pavement has altered the airflow, bringing water up off the pavement. Just a guess.

Rob

My only input to this is on my experience with the used '04 FJR I purchased. It had been lowered too far. The guy who I bought it from was extremly short and attempted to make the bike fit him. It was not successful. The bike's ride height had been set so low in the rear that it was actually lower than the front by a large amount. This affected all handling and really messed up the bikes ergo's. After taking it to a local suspension shop, everything was reset to factory spec's and I'm all good.

My point, DON'T lower it too far and I would recommend having a person who deals with spring load, custom springs, etc. do it for you. GP Suspensions in Oregon City, Oregon is THE GREATEST!!!!

Ray

I ordered an Wilbers rear-shock as part of a group buy approximately 24 months ago and asked that it be made 1" lower. I then lowered the front forks approximately 3/4" [which is all the room you have with the stock handlebars]. It allows me to get a little more of my feet on the ground and has made a significant difference with low speed handling. It handles terrifically, both single and two-up.

If you do not need much adjustment this might be the way to go. The added benefit is you will have an improved rear suspension with greater adjustability for loads.