Lowering the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
I've ridden my 03 for over 9K miles now at the stock height, with 2" soles on my boots and come to a conclusion. From 5mph up to WAAAAYYYY too fast, this bike is perfect for me. But, from 0-5mph the bike is too big.

The point was highlighted during a trip last weekend. We rode through varied conditions and road surfaces. Every time that I felt uncomfortable, it was when I wanted a solid footing on the ground and couldn't get one.

Has anyone lowered their bike? and how does it affect the handling?

Jill

I lowered my forks about 1/2 inch. I also have the Wilbers shock, also lowered about 1/2 inch. Also, I cut about 1 inch out of my seat.

My forks are as low as they'll go without the adjusters hitting my bars... which are raised and set back, too.

You can get rear shocks to drop, as well as different dogbones. But I didn't want to get the bike geometry changed too much.

I'm no peg dragger, but my bike seems to still handle beautifully. It outperforms me by a mile.

BTW, I have a 28 inseam and have been able to touch nearly flat footed on almost all surfaces. Still hate those truck ruts in that soft summer asphalt, though.

Go ahead and drop her down. Then again, sit on an '06 and see if it's any better. Maybe a change is due... hmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also one of the short people here @ 5'6". I have ordered some longer dogbones for the back and some bar risers to make space to drop the forks a smidge. Hopefully, the parts will be here soon and when I get them installed I will report it here.

Josh

Silver,
HOw tall are you?

whats your inseam?

GreyGoose
I'm 5'2" with an inseam of 27". With my punk boots, I have an extra 2" which allows a toe down on each side, or a flat foot on one side. That's a tremendous improvement on riding without the custom boots.

If I don't point my toes, I can actually ride with my legs straight down and not touch the floor. Useful in stop and go traffic!

Jill

5'2" and riding an FJR! Dang girl, I'm impressed!! I struggle too with the slow stuff and pushing this beast around, but I'll stop whining now. Good thing there's usually a man around to help!

5'2" and riding an FJR! Dang girl, I'm impressed!! I struggle too with the slow stuff and pushing this beast around, but I'll stop whining now. Good thing there's usually a man around to help!
LOL! DH jokes about the valet parking, but it's one of the things I need him the most for. When I ride alone, I have to plan my parking spaces very carefully. Getting my bike out of the garage is one of the toughest things. I can't back it over that 1/2" transition from garage to driveway so I have to walk it backwards and turn it around. My upper body strength is a work in progress!

Each day, I muse about whether this bike is too big for me but as soon as it's rolling, I change my mind. A little twist, OK then a big twist of the throttle, and I'm hooked all over again.

:D Jill

Easiest way to 'lower' the bike is to 'lower and narrow up' the seat - take away foam, in other words. Either have a local upholsterer do it for you or send it to a saddle maker. I had the opposite problem, so when I had my custom saddle done by Bill Mayer, I had him increase the foam thickness, thereby raising my skinny arse above the ground by more than an inch. He also said he can take an inch to an inch and a half out and narrow up the front.

Somewhere is posted a DIY foamectomy, too.

I understand your dilemma-I have a 31" inseam, yet find myself occasionally fearful of a lay down when pushing the bike backwards etc and hitting sand or some other slippery footing. Can't imagine what it would be like with less. Try the different dogbone, raised forks mod-every little bit will help, should be good for at least an easy inch, which should help. With TDubs seat mod gaining maybe another inch or so, should make a big improvement.

Jill, I think the last time this was discussed, Kasey chimed in. IIRC, she had a "seat-ectomy" (narrowed) on her '03 and that helped her comfort level a bunch. She was really uncomfortable in the same ways you have described and as a solo rider she had no confidence.

Have you tried lowering the front, vis a vis sliding the fork tubes up into the triple trees? That could get your hinder parts closer to the ground. I'm in the camp that says changing the dogbones as a last resort. Are you near a seat maker? How about a good upholstery shop? If you are going to do it yourself....a little at a time, then try it.

;) I definitely understand and empathize with your predicament. I am 5'6' on a good day, when someone hangs me upside down and measurement includes what little hair I have hanging from my head?

That's why I am selling my '05 and taking delivery of my '06 next month...in the hopes that the adjustable handlebars and seat will be able to do the trick for me.

If not flat footed, at least less of a tippy toe on both sides at the stop lights?

I would suggest having a Rick Mayer custom seat to help out...he may be able to lower that seat height for you by 1/2 to 1 inch?

SMC

How about smaller rims by an inch or two than some hydraulics or air shocks to raise her back up for crussing. Kind of like a low rider FJR. What do you think?

Different approach may be some one will see this and try to make an after market product.

Jill, I think the last time this was discussed, Kasey chimed in. IIRC, she had a "seat-ectomy" (narrowed) on her '03 and that helped her comfort level a bunch. She was really uncomfortable in the same ways you have described and as a solo rider she had no confidence. Have you tried lowering the front, vis a vis sliding the fork tubes up into the triple trees? That could get your hinder parts closer to the ground. I'm in the camp that says changing the dogbones as a last resort. Are you near a seat maker? How about a good upholstery shop? If you are going to do it yourself....a little at a time, then try it.
Thanks Mike.

The Bill Mayer seat was the first thing I did, after the custom boots. Rocky reviewed my bike, seat position, riding preferences etc and concluded that lowering the seat would sacrifice the ability to ride any distance in comfort. He took it down and narrowed it a fraction, at the same time making it a far better distance seat. Just now, is it getting broken in and comfortable.

DH is going to tweak the fork tubes for me, after machining a flat on the helibar risers to allow the tubes to move past them.

The dog bones are a last resort, after having tried the other possibilities. At least they are temporary, so if I don't like the way the bike handles with them, off they come.

Jill

Not trying to be a smart ass here silver penguin...but remember to try & lower the front & rear the same amount so it won"t affect the bikes geometry (handling)....unless you customize I think your going to end up changing the dog bone....have you thought of a shorter rear shock & front springs?.... hope these thoughts help somewhat.....good luck Mike :rolleyes:

That's why I am selling my '05 and taking delivery of my '06 next month...in the hopes that the adjustable handlebars and seat will be able to do the trick for me.
Stock height on an 05 is 32.2 inches.

The 06 is 31.5 to 32.3 inches in height, so your picking up about 3/4" in seat height but.......... some 06'ers are reporting the new seat feels wider than the previous seat they've had. So you " may" be looking at a foamectomy on the 06 also. :unsure:

Penguin.. do those thick soles get in the way of shifting up or down ?? Daytona makes some boots with a raised sole for some of the shorter guys /gals out there ( me included :) ). They're a high dollar but excellent boot though, but don't match your hooker style boots ! :D

Rocky reviewed my bike, seat position, riding preferences etc and concluded that lowering the seat would sacrifice the ability to ride any distance in comfort..................

He took it down and narrowed it a fraction, at the same time making it a far better distance seat. Just now, is it getting broken in and comfortable.
Since I have a 32" inseam, I wrestle with your "being comfortable" with a lowered seat. I realize that each has their own comfort level/leg position but even with my Russell being 1" taller, I'd bet my knees are more bent than yours and I can ride all day (Okay, I take breaks and stretch.) Of course, I'm not the "seat guy" having to guarantee my work. I wonder if you couldn't find a stock seat, on line, and experiment with that, then have your Mayer modified to match your results. I'm just thinking as I type that it would be easier to modify the seat and leave the suspension alone, especially since "Granny" solved the problem that way. YMMV.

One would think your little trip helped break the seat in a bit.

Silver Penguin,

I've lowered my bike with links, moved the forks up 12mm (the maximum determined to be safe by our British cousins) , had the seat cut down but had a 3/4" gel insert placed between my butt & the seat base. I have no problems with long distance rides with this set up even though I ride two up. I weigh 220 lbs stripped plus all of the heavy leathers. I've taken trips with both saddlebags plus a trunk loaded.

All of this with an OEM rear shock that had a 1/4" spacer added.

I went from a bike I dreaded making a u-turn with to one I could enjoy without trepidation. I never hit bottom and the handling was not hurt one bit for this biker that doesn't drag the pegs, do wheelies or stoppies.

I've since switched to a lowered Wilbers shock & new fork springs.

Don't listen to all of the nay-sayers that don't speak from experience.

I give you credit for wearing those Frankenstein boots, but you're a gal & can get away with them.

I'll take the cost factor out of this discussion. I'll send you either the links alone or include my 2000 mile shock with the spacer added. Try them out before you buy. Don't like them? Return them, no cost. Like them? Get this forum to agree on a fair price including freight.

dobias :glare:

Well, we did it this weekend. With 7/8" Kouba lowers and the front adjusted to match, the bike is more my size. I was able to back it out of the garage by myself. The confidence factor each time I stop is amazing. I've only ridden 100 miles or so today but so far found no problems with handling. Did some stop and starts in busy traffic, fast freeway and some twisties. So far, so good.

Jill

Good for you, Jill. If you're happy, then everyone should be happy with you. If this allows you more freedom with confidence then all is well and good. Now, let's ride! :D