Lowering the front forks Thursday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarFJR

URGNT
Reaction score
After getting home Sunday afternoon. The first order of business Monday was to head out to the dealer.

You see when I bought my Bike a couple of months ago I had them lower it by changing out the dog bones. Well they never adjusted the forks in the front. :blink:

I have been getting along just fine UNTIL I went to NERDS 11 :yahoo: . I found that when following other riders on our daily tours of Vermont I had to work the bike much harder for the same results.

The guy in front of me was getting around the twist in the road without all that much effort. I am behind him at the same rate of speed needed to bring the bike down considerable more for the same result. :huh:

Aroostook being the same height as me said I should bring the bike back to stock height. Others told me to bring it back to the dealers and get the forks lower correctly would solve my issue. Or I could easily do it myself. And pointed out what and where I needed to do to get this done.

Going back to the dealer Thursday for them to lower the forks it at NO charge. Being I do like to be able to flat foot it. It helps moving the bike and makes for stops on sloped roads easier. :rolleyes:

Thanks go out to all the guys that gave advice and if it wasn’t for a lack of tools on my part we would have done it right there that night.

After getting home Sunday afternoon. The first order of business Monday was to head out to the dealer.

You see when I bought my Bike a couple of months ago I had them lower it by changing out the dog bones. Well they never adjusted the forks in the front. :blink:

I have been getting along just fine UNTIL I went to NERDS 11 :yahoo: . I found that when following other riders on our daily tours of Vermont I had to work the bike much harder for the same results.

The guy in front of me was getting around the twist in the road without all that much effort. I am behind him at the same rate of speed needed to bring the bike down considerable more for the same result. :huh:

Aroostook being the same height as me said I should bring the bike back to stock height. Others told me to bring it back to the dealers and get the forks lower correctly would solve my issue. Or I could easily do it myself. And pointed out what and where I needed to do to get this done.

Going back to the dealer Thursday for them to lower the forks it at NO charge. Being I do like to be able to flat foot it. It helps moving the bike and makes for stops on sloped roads easier. :rolleyes:

Thanks go out to all the guys that gave advice and if it wasn't for a lack of tools on my part we would have done it right there that night.
The only disadvantage to lowering the bike is that you have now reduced ground clearance and parts will touch down sooner in the twisties. Good technique such as moving your body to the inside and pushing back against the bike keeping it slightly more upright will help. I highly recommend a track day or an advanced riding school if you want to learn better technique to go quickly in the twisties.

The only disadvantage to lowering the bike is...reduced ground clearance and parts will touch down sooner in the twisties...I highly recommend a track day or an advanced riding school...
Hopefully the advanced riding school will let him ride with a passenger. MarFJR was riding with his wife which has a major impact on handling.

The only disadvantage to lowering the bike is...reduced ground clearance and parts will touch down sooner in the twisties...I highly recommend a track day or an advanced riding school...
Hopefully the advanced riding school will let him ride with a passenger. MarFJR was riding with his wife which has a major impact on handling.
The Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic usually allows a passenger to take the class at no additional charge. Check with the specific location to find out for sure. Total Control Info

Advanced riding school is going to be one of the 1st things I do next spring.

I will be looking to ride this weekend after the front is put right to see the change in handling. I was hoping to get something going with the breakfast club, this coming Saturday. Just kinda waiting on someone to start up the group ride thing..

The points I am trying to bring home are.

A. The more knowledgeable riders are great at helping you figure something out.

B. The next guy that gets an FJR and needs it lowered may learn something from my experiences.

C. My old gray haired butt may never be able to ride like my crazy Canadian buddies, but my bike needs to at least perform like there’s or close to it.

Without getting all Zen and karma on the reader. There is a need to share my experience, help others and thank people that have helped me.

Who knows, in 20 years I may be the deep well others draw from. I see it now! I walk over to my bike using my stroller… Jump on and become the peg scrapping mad grandpa your mothers told you about or dated!

Well picked up my bike last night from M.O.M.S.

They lowered my forks and found another issue that they fixed. I don’t know what was my performance issue but they did a great job and now I seem to not be having the once was thought suspension issues turns out I had a Heli riser issue as well.

They fixed me up at no charge and said I owed them a coffee.

I did show up to the shop this morning with a box of Joe and cups from dunkin’

As for the bike I will be taking her out Saturday for a longish run. I am sure she will be brilliant

Howdy. You might want to look at my post-"something to consider". had the bike lowered 7/8, but could only lower front by 1/8 approx if U don't have risers on the bars. ;)

I've raised & lowered two generation of FJRs, sometimes over 2". I've had the front lowered 1" or more, etc., all for the sake of monkeying around. The rule is that every bit you lower it, the more you'll scrape. Get an aftermarket suspension and dial it in for harder, you'll also scrape less especially when a little bumpy. Another generality is if you leave the rear alone and lower the front, it'll turn in quicker, but too much and it'll get too quick (unless you like it that way). I have a Wilbers shock (with a ride height adjustment) and Soupy's adjustable links so I can adjust it to just about anywhere. You might try adjusting the front yourself-it's fairly easy and you don't need a lot of wrenching skill to do it.

Not surprisingly, what kind of tires you use can make an amazing difference also-especially if you have stock or worn tires on. The profile of different makes can have an effect.

However, someone said it above-your riding form will probably make the most difference off the bat-a track day can do wonders if you can do it-