Macon, GA to Rockies and Southwest US

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnirtsnod

Reaction score
My pal, Mike, and I will be leaving at 7:30 tomorrow morning (Saturday, May 13th) for a planned 5,200 mile, 15-day trip to Pikes Peak and beyond. Just two FJRs ridden by two easygoing riders looking to experience the beauty of the Rocky Mountains and the desert southwest. We'll be watching for anyone on an FJR and acknowledging all riders in what surely will be a memorable time. Return leg is planned to run across Texas and along the I-20 corridor with arrival back home on the 27th. We hope to see you out on the road. ...Don

You will have a blast. I just did Charlotte NC to Moab UT, then zig zagged back home arriving a few days ago. Roughly the same miles and number of days.

FWIW Ouray Co is not busy yet and the town was semi deserted...still a lot of snow in the San Juans... and cheap lodging in Ouray.

Be safe...

I'm glad to report back that the trip was done safely and we had a blast. 5,733 miles in 14 days! The longest day was 707 miles and the shortest was 291. This was my first marathon trip on the FJR (had HD Ultras for 15 years before this) and I will attest to the superiority of the FJR. One MAJOR plus for the FJR - traveling at 65-70 mph and slowing to 55, then 45, then 35 mph in a small town then ramping the speed back up to 65 mph, realizing that I never shifted out of 6th gear. The Ultra would have worn me out shifting through this scenario and especially navigating in the Rockies.

One surprise was that we never saw another FJR that we could confirm (we may have met one but could not tell for sure). This bike is awesome and apparently the best kept secret out there. ...Don