MadMike's Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister
Reaction score
Hi Everybody, I am Sabrina- Mad Mike's Daughter. I am typing as he dictates. He has things he wants to share (shocking) and is still in pain, here we are!

First- Thank you to everyone for their care, concern and responses. I really appreciate everything that I have read from this community and it has been very encouraging.

You really do meet the best people on an FJR!

Second- My deepest and greatest thanks to Exskibum and Bluestreek for their care at the scene and at the hospital. I also would like to thank Orangevale FJR/Joyful Girl, Rogdebs, Rickinsac and Karen, the Highlanders and the Skyways. Andrew- I can't thank you enough for your unswerving friendship and support and for all you have done to trailer my bike and ensure all of my belongings were salvaged. For the rest of the NorCal riders- your offers of help are appreciated and will be gratefully received. You guys are the best! TWN and Galaxy Blue- you're visit on Tuesday means more to me than I will ever be able to express. Others who called the hospital and spoke with me (the frist 3 days are still a blur), your encouragement has truly helped me as I begin the healing process.

Third- ATGATT!!! It saved my life. There is a 3 inch depression about 3 inches above the visor of my Shoei helmet. A helmet of lesser quality would surely have given me a skull fracture rather than a bruise on my brain.

The Cycle Port Gear with armor saved my body from terrible consequences. I have many body bruises but no road rash.

Fourth- My Injuries-

Small brain bruise that is fading everyday.

Cracked spurs on C-7 and C-4 (I am in a neck brace for approximately 3 weeks).

Two cracks in right scapula (shoulder blade).

Four or Five broken ribs on the right side.

** I am on the mend and am making progress everyday.

Your continued thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

Fifth- Reasons for the crash- IT WAS MY FAULT!

It was my first dual sport ride in the dirt. While we were riding in the dirt I was wearing a scarf over my face, my camel back as in the side case. It was hot and dusty, when we got to I-80, I should have stopped and put on my camel back to rehydrate. I decided to push on. So, after meeting @ 0800 then riding from 0900-1400, I was hot, hungry, tired and thirsty and stupidly pressed myself to keep going. I had clearly over extended myself. So one bad decision lead to a second which lead to a third and the end result was catastrophic and painful. I have hurt my families hearts and let down the FJR community that I love so much.

Please use the above as insight & wisdom and apply it to your riding. Ride your own ride and remember to ride safely within your own limits.

Sixth-I am hooooooome! But I have limited access to the computer. I will not be available to answer emails or PMS. If you need to get ahold of me the NorCal locals have my phone number and can call me to relay messages: Rogdeb, OrangevaleFJR, Ric-in-Sac, Bluestreek, etc.

From US- his blood family- You are also his family and we are extremely grateful to all of you who care so much for him. Thank for all that you have done and continue to do.

Mike,

No "let down to the FJR community". Accidents happen. Glad you are home and back on the board.

Best Regards,

Barry

Mike, and family, thanks for keeping us informed. It really helps us, as we are out here wondering, and sharing your pain. It's good to hear you're on the mend, and thanks for waiting until you got your Cycleport gear to have a crash.

This incident has really caused me to do some soul-searching, and I'm now pretty turned off on the idea of getting a DS bike. I mean, the riding would be a blast, but I would probably be too cautious to have fun when alone in remote areas, and in a group the leader is the only one not eating dust. That, and the other accident with Eve's boss....

Oh well, I still have what is, IMHO, the most roadworthy bike out there to get my jollies on.

Get well, Mike. See ya soon.

Thanks for the update Sabrina. It's great that you're home mm2, the healing will happen faster since you're back in familiar surroundings. Take care and see ya next year in Colorado!

--G

MM2 your back and that is good news. Now do not beat your self up over this incident, that is something that is comon when you ride in the hills.You just forget to stay hydrated because there is no quick stop or mom and pop store to buy something to drink.

MM2 I have seen a pro rider go down while racing hangtown went though the whoop section and just fell off the bike he was in bad shape 105F that day. I have had it happen to me ridding in the desert on a 250 ride.I was able to get some help and had my dirt bike picked up and taken to lunch. Hoping maybe I might be able to ride the next day. Had to have a ride back where we started it took well over 24 hours to re-hydrate. Never again

MM2 take your time and we will see you on your bike when you are able.

Think of it this way , you can have a comming out party :yahoo:

Sabrina, take a 2 x 4 and smack that old cout up along side his head, kinda like a Missouri Mule. Ya Gotta get his attention first..

Mike heal up quick, and we will see you in Denver.

Get well Mile

rest and take it easy

give your body time to heal... it will

Sabrina, thanks for posting that info. Please pass our best wishes on the Mike, and our wishes for a complete recovery. A few years ago our family went through a tragic time, and Mike was very encouraging in what he posted on the FJROwners forum. I have never forgotten his words. We now pray for him specifically in what he is going through.

Mike, I have a list of people I would like to meet some day when/if I get to visit the 'states, and you are right up there on the list. Your words of encouragement were great, and the scriptures very relevant. I like what was posted earlier: "Glad to hear you're on the mend. God has plans for you, listen." Made me smile, as all too often we don't 'slow down and listen'. And even though you are busted up pretty good, and sore, I give thanks that it's not worse.

David.

No let downs around here. None of us are ready to rule the world yet so mistakes are bound to happen. Take care of yourself and when you get ready to fix the bike speak up and all the help you have given others will be on the way back to you. :D

Mike,
No "let down to the FJR community". Accidents happen. Glad you are home and back on the board.

Best Regards,

Barry
+1,000,000

Gunny!!!!

Boomshakalaka (think you may have missed this one)

If you had not been wearing gear, and were more seriously injured, then we may have felt let down.

After all, that is why we ATGATT!!! Shit happens!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike, just staggered off a Europe-bound USAir plane and read this post by your daughter. Sorry to hear about the get-off :eek:

Glad you're on the mend, bro and drop that nonsense about letting somebody down... :nono:

Stef

I have hurt my families hearts and let down the FJR community that I love so much.
You are setting the bar pretty high up there for yourself if you feel guilty about letting us down after something like this. As others have said, no let down felt. The only feeling I have about your crash is happiness that you were not hurt worse and good wishes for a complete recovery.