MadMike's Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note to all: I have an appointment with the Trauma Dr. tomorrow @ 1000. Hopefully I'll be able to permanentaly remove the neckbrace and begin Physical Therapy as soon as the ribs and shoulder blade knit. I'll update this tomorrow afternoon when I get home.
Here's hoping!

Good luck with the results tomorrow, Mike. That collar doesn't work with the rest of your dress anyway.

Most of all, here's hoping that the ribs and all heal up quick.

Hey Mike, you know as well as I do it will happen at an agonizingly slow pace! But; in the grand scheme, when we are riding together to WFO next year, it won't seem so bad. Just a little blip on the radar. ;)

Baby steps...

ReasonsSwissCheeseModel.jpg
Good analogy - and are we ever glad that MM2 didn't develop ARDS (adult/acute respiratory distress syndrome). The statistics for recovery from that are pretty dismal.

And what's this BS about letting the forum down? Just who do you think you are Mike? :rolleyes: At great personal cost, you kept your FJR safe. At least, if you were going to go out and so something stupid, you didn't risk your REAL bike. On the other hand, as you well know, it would have been better not to crash.

However, you have well proven your case for ATGATT. It's gratifying to know that despite your injuries, you're going to be OK. Had you not made such careful preparations, that might not be the case.

In addition, we can all thank you for being humble enough to admit what went wrong. It takes courage to do that. We can all learn about rest, hydration and taking a break when needed.

Get well soon,

Jill

I just got wind of your mishaps being so far south of you now. It could have happened to anyone under the same circumstances but we all let our guards down every once in awhile. We all push the limits occasionally and know it but will do it again until luck runs out.

Mike, we respect you and you give good advice but we all, at times, have pushed the limits. I blame alot of it on time constraints we have set. Add to the mix, an unfamiliar terrain and the odds start to stack against you. You know it as we all should, so please don't beat yourself up over it. You will get over it in time and time will heal thyself.

We respect you and hope you have a speady and full recovery. And thanks to all who were able to be with Mike during his mishaps.

Your fans,

Pegscraper & MsNASCAR

Dad,

Haven't forgotten about you, just giving you a chance to get some needed recuperation rest and healing time. My prayers have been with you since your injury. Will stay in touch by various means.

Turbo

They took a series of x-rays of my neck and determined that I can now "wean" myself from the neckbrace. I had it "off" for 1 1/2 hrs at the hospital and I have a few aches from the experience, though the "freedom" was wonderful. I am now on a program to alternate the brace "off-and-on" for 1 hr periods, to be increased to 1 1/2 hrs then 2 hrs, etc., until there are no residual muscle reactions. Hurray, the neck is on the mend! :yahoo:

My ribs are still not completely knit, but the surgical scar on my back is healed as are the other slight flesh wounds. They are not happy about my lingering inability to inflate my lungs and have assigned a more rigorous schedule of exercises on my breathing apparatus. They will check the lungs again during my appointment on Sept. 25th. :unsure:

My right knee is still swollen and I have limited flexibility, perhaps 25% movement, and my right foot is still black and blue. They did some ultrasound checks of the blood circulation and everything appears normal so the assumption is that it is all more "soft-tissue" damage that will heal over time. Something more to be monitored on the 25th. :unknw:

I began walking around my street last Monday morning and stretched it to AM and PM Thursday night. This is something the Dr. and nurses are encouraging me to continue. It does feel good to get out of the house if only for that brief time, and the exercise should help my joints and muscles regain some strength, plus increase my stamina. ;)

In the end, I am improving, if only slightly. This is likely to be a long healing process of a couple or 3 months. Thanks to all of you who have called, visited, sent cards, emails or PM's and have kept my in your good thoughts. It really helps more than you know. I am blessed to have all of you as my friends! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end, I am improving, if only slightly. This is likely to be a long healing process of a couple or 3 months. Thanks to all of you who have called, visited, sent cards, emails or PM's and have kept my in your good thoughts. It really helps more than you know. I am blessed to have all of you as my friends! :wub:
Yeah Mike! Good to hear that you're on the mend.

BTW, I found a substitute for the neck brace. Mine's off, to stay but I did a little, shall we say 'illicit' exercise over the weekend. Actually about 150 miles in total!! The cure that I've found for the pain involves pouring a shot of tequila into a bottle of Corona. Far fewer side effects than the morphine AND it keeps me from being tempted to ride.

Take care,

Jill

I began walking around my street last Monday morning and stretched it to AM and PM Thursday night. This is something the Dr. and nurses are encouraging me to continue. It does feel good to get out of the house if only for that brief time, and the exercise should help my joints and muscles regain some strength, plus increase my stamina. ;) I am blessed to have all of you as my friends! :wub:
Mike, while I was recovering from a kidney surgery, the doc said to take some walks. So my Dad, who is blind, and I took off for the first walk. Man was it wonderful! It hurt like hell but I was up and MOBILE. We went about 1/2 way around a huge block when BAM! I realized I simply could not take another step.

..and Dad was blind, couldn't find his way back to my house, get a car, etc..

.....it was a very very long 'walk' back... with resultant attendant pain /healing set back..

So take it somewhat easy to start with, make sure you have an 'easy out' to get back quick if needed..

..now, having said that, getRdone Mikey :rolleyes: , and remember your gas receipts and to tag the corners, and start and finish witnesses.. :yahoo:

This is likely to be a long healing process of a couple or 3 months.
At least. We just don't bounce back like we used to. The waiting is the hardest part. Patience is a virtue-that I lack. Hang in there, man. It may be slow, but it does get better.

Thanks for sharing your learnings from this accident.

Best wishes to you and your family on a quick recovery.

Allrighty then. I've been out of the forum loop for a while. Just pocked up on this event.

Mike you are a serious disapointment! Trying to take credit for letting the FJR communitity down. Not so dude! In case that bruse on your brain scrambled a few memory cells I'll point out that you were not on your FJR. That is good, because if you had been out in the bushes on that, well. Enough said.

So are you suffecently recovered to begin holding court? As in personal visits. Visits of course for the purpose of herassing, rediculing, picking on and generally abusing you for no particular reason at all.

Yeah it's time for some reality checking buddy. I'll see you soon.

Love ya brother. Good hart, good spirit, good man Mike.

[SIZE=14pt]Clean mind, Clean body, take your pick![/SIZE] :yahoo:

Tim

Allrighty then. I've been out of the forum loop for a while. Just pocked up on this event.
Mike you are a serious disapointment! Trying to take credit for letting the FJR communitity down. Not so dude! In case that bruse on your brain scrambled a few memory cells I'll point out that you were not on your FJR. That is good, because if you had been out in the bushes on that, well. Enough said.

So are you suffecently recovered to begin holding court? As in personal visits. Visits of course for the purpose of herassing, rediculing, picking on and generally abusing you for no particular reason at all.

Yeah it's time for some reality checking buddy. I'll see you soon.

Love ya brother. Good hart, good spirit, good man Mike.

[SIZE=14pt]Clean mind, Clean body, take your pick![/SIZE] :yahoo:

Tim
Hey, Spam. I mean Tinker. I mean Tim. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but is that you I saw parked across from the Claremont a couple weeks ago? I go to Berkeley all the time. How come I ain't seen you around much?