MadMike's Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Glad you're home and mending quickly. I went for a ride tonight to adjust my new Soltek HID's, didn't even give a thought about going out without all my gear, so your lessons are being heeded. So sorry you ended up doing Cycleport testing duty, maybe you can get some free endorsement stuff out of them for all your trouble!

Take your time getting back up to speed, we'll get those Sierra passes/49 rides done when you're good and ready.

John

Sabrina:

Thanks for posting and keeping us updated.

Mike:

Take it slow and easy. Don't push it and you will heal fine.

Take care!!!!!

Mikey - we are with you man.

More than one person has been hurt by following this routine --> "I was hot, hungry, tired and thirsty and stupidly pressed myself to keep going. I had clearly over extended myself. "

I'm so glad you are home Mike. When can I visit?

Yesterday I was following BlueStreek around. I got hot, tired and instead of pushing myself I pushed the push to talk radio button and said, "Hey Steve, I need to stop." He pulled over, we sat on a guard rail for awhile by Lake Oroville and I reflected on a few things.

1) Crashing behind Steve would have been a pretty mean thing to do to him

2) Sitting on a guard rail is better than slamming into it

3) Water splashed in the face felt good. Camel back water isn't just for drinking.

4) I would have never got the radio unless Mike did...I'm glad I had it because if I didn't I might have pushed myself further...perhaps too far? Mike's safety ideas and leadership help out again!!!

5) We need to rig the DS's so that we can swap the radios over to them.

6) Having friends over the night before the ride in an attempt to make the ride easier for them doesn't always work when you end up having so much fun that getting up for the ride the next day is hard. Therefore, if I have friends over like that again, I'll make sure the ride doesn't require me to wake up at 6:30 to cook breakfast...we'll wake up at 8:30 :)

Sabrina, it was a pleasure meeting you and Scott. I feel honored to be considered extended family of the Krauses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody down there got an update. Just want to know how the big guy is doing. :)

I just spoke with Mike. He says he is doing better. He's moving around. He has bad bruising on his torso from his underarms to his waste. He believes the rib and scapula fractures were from compression of his body as he came to an abrupt stop. He is still in his neck brace and that makes it hard for him to make food and eat it. His Mom is there with him now and will stay there for some time to ensure he is okay.

He mentioned he needs to call you FJRay...he felt bad about not calling yet and I told him that I am sure you understand.

He has aches and pains and it seems he will for some time. Getting the neck brace off will be a first big step and he sees the Dr. in two days about that :)

Deb and I visited Mike and his Mom (Grace) today - took him some comfort food :)

He's sporting a large amount of deep blue/purple bruising and is still obviously in pain -- but -- he looks good, sounds good, and is getting a little better as every day passes. Passes his thanks along again for all the good wishes.

We got to look at his helmet -- WOW !! -- a pretty fair sized indentation and cracking at the top upper left. If the crash left that damage to the helmet, it's obvious it would have just about split his head in two. It can't be said too often -- ATGATT.

His Mom, Grace (christened "MadMom" by Mrs Rick-in-sac Karen) is a character !! - Nice, nice Lady who promises to be there till Mike is up and about.

That's all folks.

Great to hear Mike is doing well and thanks Sabrina for helping out pops like that. There is noting like having family taking care of us when we are down. It is so awesome they are there to help as well as your family here as evidensed by all the well wishes and support. Also it is no accident you had quality gear on when you went down. Your get-off is a lesson and a testamony for all us here. Get well my friend and you're in my families prayers daily. Take care, Del. <>< ;)

Mike,

We'll share a Guadalajara Dog at Pink's for you this Monday.

Do you like sour cream? Hot sauce? Chili?

Jeannette says (gentle) hugs and kisses ...

Heal up quick, ok? Count your blessings.

MM, I haven't been on the forum much lately, so this is the first I heard about your mishap. Glad to hear you're home and healing. Hospitals suck. Get well soon!

Any update on Mike? I'll be down around North CA late next week. PM me if there is anything I can do to help. I had a good friend in a really bad wreck last year. He almost died at the scene, and he was in a coma for five days. It's a tough ordeal for everyone involved.

Wife and I saw him today.

He 's doing better every day. No longer needs the walker and is getting up on his own. He has been going on little walks around the neighborhood.

He still has a lot of bruising and has a lot of pain. The pain meds help a lot. He says each day is a little better and hopes to get the neck brace off in the next week or so.

Madmike--- glad you're doing better! And thanks for sharing the information about the accident.... the possible causes and how the gear worked. It will help us all.

In the wildland firefighting community we have been taught about the "Reason's Swiss Cheese Model". Here's an example from the medical community.

ReasonsSwissCheeseModel.jpg

It involves multiple conditions or situations, none of which by themselves would result in an accident, but if the conditions (or the holes in the cheese) "line up", the cumulative effect can result in a bad outcome.

In wildland firefighting, the "layers" of the swiss cheese might be:

--being tired

--being hungry

--being dehydrated

--extreme burning conditions, i.e., low fuel moisture, strong winds, low humidity, steep slope

--skill level not matching conditions

--no escape route or safety zone

--exposure to smoke and carbon monoxide

--positioned uphill above a fire

--loss of radio communications

Just one of the above may not result in being entrapped in a fire or another type of accident, but the cumulative effect of all of them might.

In motorcycle riding, the possible "layers" of swiss cheese could be:

--being tired

--being hungry

--being dehydrated

--heavy traffic

--riding unfamiliar bike

--very difficult riding conditions, i.e., rough road, animals on road, rain

--equipment failure, i.e., tires, surging, lights

--Others....

If several of these line up, it could be difficult to avoid an accident.

Mike, I'm not saying any of these were related to your accident. I was not there and have never ridden with you. I'm just throwing these ideas out for consideration. And, thanks again for sharing, and contributing to our safety. We can all learn from this.

Mike, I'm not saying any of these were related to your accident. I was not there and have never ridden with you. I'm just throwing these ideas out for consideration. And, thanks again for sharing, and contributing to our safety. We can all learn from this.
Well...go read the #1 post where I dilineate my reasons. Obviously 3 of the items on your "list" aligned and I admitted it was my fault for knowing better but continued to ride. No foul, just a lack of applied common sense that has led to severe bruising, cracked helmet, broken ribs, etc., and a long recovery.

Note to all: I have an appointment with the Trauma Dr. tomorrow @ 1000. Hopefully I'll be able to permanentaly remove the neckbrace and begin Physical Therapy as soon as the ribs and shoulder blade knit. I'll update this tomorrow afternoon when I get home.

Hey Deputy Dog Mike, good to hear you're on the mend, I bet it seems like a long time.. I know, it HAS been a long time. Hope the news is good for ya mananna... :rolleyes: