Maine Chowder / Sightseeing Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it home late last night after waiting for a certain individual who did not show up.

Meeting everyone at the KTP.

DSC_0001.jpg

Ocean Point, just before a spirited ride down the Damariscotta River Rd where I expanded my comfort level trying to keep Scott and Donnie in sight.

DSC_0024.jpg

Lunch stop at Rockland Harbor.

DSC_0027.jpg

Those bike's sure do look small down there. Pic taken from the Penobscot Narrows Bridge.

DSC_0033.jpg

Cadillac Mountain on Saturday afternoon. Is was cool watching the warm air condense as it rose up over the islands.

DSC_0038.jpg

Joann and I are back home after a beautiful morning ride down Rte 3 to US 202. It was a bit foggy getting out of the "down east" area this morning, but once we turned westward and away from the coast in Belfast we lost all the mist and it was smooth (and fairly quick) sailing. I love riding on weekdays...

We stopped for breakfast at a cool little roadside dive in China. Great B'fast (in more ways that one). It was both huge and tasty. Taking the routes we did, we were back in about 5 hours of saddle time, and the Turnpike would have taken us at least 4 1/2 anyway.

I sure hope that everyone had as good a time this weekend as Joann and I did.

We'll sort through all our pictures and post up anything worthy that hasn't already been posted a dozen times. ;)

PS - Scott, I did get your voicemail on Sunday night! Yeah, that's the one you left me Saturday noon time. By then I figured it was too late to meet-up at the Boathouse. Don't know why my phone didn't ring thru. Must have been in a dead zone or something. I'm sure that you heard that we did end up eating there too, but we must have been behind you speedy guys.

We arrived at the restaurant at noon. Had a a little snack and dragged our heals until 1:30. I heard that we missed you folks by around 1/2 an hour.

Can't wait ntil next year.

Canadian FJR

We arrived at the restaurant at noon. Had a a little snack and dragged our heals until 1:30. I heard that we missed you folks by around 1/2 an hour.
Can't wait ntil next year.

Canadian FJR

Maybe even less. I thought we arrived at around 1:30. But we parked on the other side of the harbor and walked around on the boardwalk to the restaurant. It was all Carl's idea... :p

All those pictures and I didn't see a single bowl of chowda?

Looks like you folks had fun. Maybe I'll make it next time.

The first thing that needs to be said is a hugh thank you to Fred and anyone else who put this all together. The amount of pre-planning was obvious (Booth Bay Harbor jokes avoided) and not taken for granted. Thanks again.

Also, each and every person I met was a pleasure to talk to, ride with, and hang with. Having never met anyone on board before, I will admit to a tad bit of apprehension, but it was clearly foolish on my part. It really was a good time.

We headed out before 8 on Sunday, went to the top of Cadillac Mountain with Axeman and his brother, then left right from there. Other than off-roading for about 30 minutes on Rte 1A, we made great time getting down to New London.

But . . .

On the ferry across, Dave tells me he's not happy the way his bike is running. Not sure why, but something just didn't feel right. We get across and make the last hour ride home. While still on the Expressway, and literally three miles from his home, something lets loose inside. He had enough power to make it home and the dealer picked it up today. Still under warranty. As much as that sucked though, we knew it as sheer luck that it went where it did after more than the ten hours on it.

And now, I'll await the comments and will be passing any and all over to him. I'm sure he's eagerly awaiting!!

Again, great riding with everyone.

But . . .
On the ferry across, Dave tells me he's not happy the way his bike is running. Not sure why, but something just didn't feel right. We get across and make the last hour ride home. While still on the Expressway, and literally three miles from his home, something lets loose inside. He had enough power to make it home and the dealer picked it up today. Still under warranty. As much as that sucked though, we knew it as sheer luck that it went where it did after more than the ten hours on it.

And now, I'll await the comments and will be passing any and all over to him. I'm sure he's eagerly awaiting!!

Again, great riding with everyone.
Us guys with Gen 2 ignition problems (3 bad ones for me) should have nothing to say... :blink:

Hope Dave's HD gets well soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got nuthin'. I like Dave. The guy doesn't deserve a dogpile just because he has doggy-poop taste in bikes

Hugs to Dave and his Hardly :p

Yup that is me in the blue checked shirt. This was my first group ride and I had a great time. Nice to meet new people and say hello to the few I have met at EOM 5 and 9. Will be seeing some of you at CFR and the Green/White ride. I will have the boss on back for those two.

Might see some of you at NAFO if they ever let us register.

Amazing how small the world is, turns out bad dog is the brother inlaw of a very good friend of mine. I met him once years ago but didn't remenber him.

I got nuthin'. I like Dave. The guy doesn't deserve a dogpile just because he has doggy-poop taste in bikes

Plus, he was the only one who stayed up and drank with us Canucks on Friday night.

Plus, he was the only one who stayed up and drank with us Canucks on Friday night.
:lol: Yeah, what little bit of rum Dave had saved you and me from ourselves ;)

Fred W & De Oppresso Liber

Great Job on the route/ride! BMW Bob had a blast, sorry for my screw-up with the parking @ The Boathouse, but I think the extended walk for us needing to burn more calories was prudent. (remember I have bad knees so it hurt me alot!)

When I was riding # 2, I was amazed how comfortable Joann was riding pillon and how many photos she took, you must share those (must be a gazillion!!)

MEM/Canadian FJR/NSRider and that nut Donnie,

You Canucks are crazy! (not that that is a bad thing!) I stayed up waaaay beyond my bed time listening to your stories (Love the accents)--- You folks Rock!

Kevin, I think there was a huge mis-communication issue with MEM, she was waiting @ the bottom of the mountain access road and Loop Rd (not the intersection of #233) for a long time after our ride up Cadillac. I think you were both @ different locations, waiting for each other, she was disappointed and later hooked up with us to ride the Loop before heading off alone back home. Glad you all got home safe!

Charlie Hoss/Sullivan

Great to meet & socialize with you both, lets get together soon and ride! Charlie, thanks for the entertaining ride from Ellsworth South! I'll PM you with info on our discussions.

bbdig

"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it!" (Comedian Steven Wright)

Nice to meet/chat/ride, hopefully we can do some more soon----- keep the jokes coming!

Everyone else....

Thanks! I can only load my brain with so much info on any given expedition, but you all made the event a lifetime memory,

Thanks and Ride Safe! B)

Karl

I joined the group at Casco Bay Inn on the Freeport stop, Friday evening. Hung out and socialized, drank some rum and met a bunch of great people. Enjoyed the Saturday ride, at least until the lunch stop when I had to head out to meet up with another group in Gorham NH Saturday night. (Had an awesome ride in NH on Sunday).

Many thanks to the organizers of this event and I will certainly plan on some future rides with the Northeast FJR riders.

Ross

Jim and I got home last night around 8:45 pm.

This was a great trip. Thanks to Fred for coordinating this. The routes were awesome. The food was great. Meeting everyone was a blast. A big thanks to you Fred and also De Oppresso Liber. You both did alot of work pulling this together. Sorry that De Oppresso Liber had to miss the ride in the end.

We left a few unexplored spots in Acadia and we look forward to maybe doing this again next year.

Thanks again!

-Iris

You Canucks are crazy! (not that that is a bad thing!) I stayed up waaaay beyond my bed time listening to your stories (Love the accents)--- You folks Rock!Karl
"Love the accents" ?!? You're KIDDING, right ?! ;)

YOU're the ones with the accent :lol:

See you and yours (wife and doggy) in a couple of weeks, Karl

ME

:lol: Yeah, what little bit of rum Dave had saved you and me from ourselves ;)
Did I drink rum? I did have a really good time hanging with you all.

All those pictures and I didn't see a single bowl of chowda?
Looks like you folks had fun. Maybe I'll make it next time.
Here ya go Greg:

IMG_0131.jpg

Mark it on your calendar for next year. It was a fantastic ride.