Maine Chowder / Sightseeing Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A rose between two thorns. :glare:
100_1262.jpg

Donnie had a great time.

Canadian FJR
I took that little ROSE (a ZX14) for a test ride. Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm still grinning every time I think of giving that throttle a little twist. My first question when I got back was "Why can't they put an engine just like THAT in a sport tourer?" :coolsmiley03:

Well, as I mentioned that I would, today Joann and I zipped back up to Kennebunk for a lunch stop at Alisson's Restaurant. It was entirely my fault that we blew right through Dock Square and missed stopping and sampling the chowder there during the ride. The least I could do was check the place out and report back here. :rolleyes:

I was sort of hoping that the Chowder there would be disgusting so I could reassure you all that you hadn't missed anything. Unfortunately (?) this was not the case. Their clam chowder was quite delicious and their lunch time, petite lobster roll special was perfectly delicious and just the right size. I'd highly recommend it as a destination for anyone within day-trip striking distance. I also have a pretty good route in and out (from the west) that avoids most of the coastal / Rt 1 summer congestion.

So, I guess we will just have to run this Chowder ride again next year, and be absolutely certain to stop there, (even if it means doubling back!)

Lunching at Alissons immediately after sampling chowder at the Maine Diner will be perfect, as I think most people agreed that, of the places we did stop this year, the Maine Diner was the chowder winner hands down. Alisson's will definitely give it a run for the money.

Other suggested changes for next year's ride (feel free to pile on or add ideas):

I'd skip the Clam Bake restaurant. The clam cakes were pretty good, but the chowder was only so-so, and the rest of the food was fried.

How was the Two Lights chowder? Joann and I skipped that one because we were too full from Clam Bake.

Route around the Portland traffic to get up to Freeport. That sucked greatly.

Defintely go back to Mae's Cafe. That was a great breakfast!

Find something a bit lighter and quicker for lunch in the Rockland/Rockport area on Day 2. Although the Boat House was very nice, we spent too long there, and after lunch everyone was falling asleep!! Maybe if we just call ahead and park in the restaurant's parking area instead of across town?

I'd still leave it completely open for riders to set their own itinerary for Day 3 on Mt Desert Island , but we should plan a big dinner/feast with the whole group upon arrival Saturday night. I think there are a couple of places in town that might be able to accommodate a good sized group. Actually, I bet the place next door, Jack Russell Tavern could handle us and then if anyone has a few cocktails they don't have to worry about piloting their bike back up the hill to the motel.

Anyway, I just wanted to capture a few of these thoughts now, for when next year's planning phase rolls around. I would try to keep it the same weekend, before Memorial Day. We'll take that whole discussion up again this winter over the "hot stoves". ;)

Glad to see you got there, Fred! Now, if I can keep my job and my bike both upright and on two wheels, I might even get to make it!!

I've gotta try that chowder at the Maine Diner. . . . but Alison's still has my nof for now of all of the places I've been. ;)

I'm glad to hear that Mae's worked out so well. Like I said, I'd never been there before but it sure sounds like it lived up to my online research!

Latest posts